Thread: Marillion 'Seasons End' On CD

Marillion 'Seasons End' On CD

Does anyone know why Marillion's 'Seasons End' is the only title of their first eight studio albums no longer available as a 2CD set? It was remastered and released as a 2CD set (the second disc comprising of demos and unreleased material) along with all their other albums up to and including 'Afraid of Sunlight' but can now only be bought as a single disc without bonus tracks. Has it got something to do with it being the transitional album from the Fish to Hogarth years?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Good question - I just posted on the Marillion forum and asked. Probably I'll get an answer from Lucy Jordache, so I'll post the answer here.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    EMI might simply have stopped making them?
    Well, yeah, that's what OOP means, but I think the OP meant why have they stopped making only that one.

buy directly from MARiLLiON at marillion.com:

http://marillion.com/shop/albums/misplaced.htm

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    buy directly from MARiLLiON at marillion.com:

http://marillion.com/shop/albums/misplaced.htm
    Ummmm...that would be Misplaced Childhood.

Both the Season's End and Clutching remasters on Marillion.com are 1-disc versions.

Just a guess:

I remember the original release of the 2CD versions which was in the late 90s and I don't know if they were re-pressed/re-released a second time in the same 2CD format since then. But in either case: especially if the 2CD versions of early H-era albums (SE, HiE, Brave, AoS) were released all in equal amounts through time, SE being harder to find than HiE may be simply because there were more people interested and ran them to extinction. It's quite possible EMI doesn't see HiE and SE differently in the sense that they wouldn't re-release the 2CD version of one without doing the same for the other, and the plentiful availability of the 2CD version of HiE may be what's preventing such re-release. It might be as simple as that. EMI recently released a really inexpensive box set that paired the two (probably) best-selling Fish-era albums (Misplaced and Clutching) with the 2 first H-era albums (which might quite possibly be EMI's best-selling two H-era albums) -- this suggests that they're taking that sort of route anymore with the CD versions of those albums since they are plentiful individually in the market regardless of availability of the 2CD version itself. EMI might simply be figuring that it's not time to re-release the 2CD versions, since many are still being passed around in the market, not only at places like amazon but also bay. Anyway, as mentioned in earlier posts above, the experts like Marillion's management would have better answers than this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaman Aksu View Post
    especially if the 2CD versions of early H-era albums (SE, HiE, Brave, AoS) were released all in equal amounts through time, SE being harder to find than HiE may be simply because there were more people interested and ran them to extinction.
    This is how I've always figured it too. The first pressing of each remaster was the double CD, but once that demand died down, it makes sense that subsequent runs would be the cheaper-to-make single disc. Obviously that's just happened sooner with some albums than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    This is how I've always figured it too. The first pressing of each remaster was the double CD, but once that demand died down, it makes sense that subsequent runs would be the cheaper-to-make single disc. Obviously that's just happened sooner with some albums than others.
    This has been brought up before on the Marillion forum, and from what I understand, your assessment is pretty much bang on. Perhaps one day the 2CD version will see the light of day again.

I think I'll play mine right now. (I'm sorry, I couldn't resist!)
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Did any of the demos feature Fish as the album was written b4Hogarth joined ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    It's got plenty of songs in nascent form that appeared on 'Season's End,' but with Fish on vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    It's got plenty of songs in nascent form that appeared on 'Season's End,' but with Fish on vocals.
    These are the demos that appear on Clutching at Straws - some of those tracks stayed with Marillion, in different forms later on, and others Fish took with him.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    These are the demos that appear on Clutching at Straws - some of those tracks stayed with Marillion, in different forms later on, and others Fish took with him.
    Ah, memory got me. Thanks for correcting.

Nope, those demos are on the Clutching 2cd.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    Nope, those demos are on the Clutching 2cd.
    Some of that music ended up on Seasons End but lyrically ended up on Vigil In A Wilderness Of Mirrors. One of my favourites from that batch of tunes is "Shadows On The Barley", which later became "The Bell In The Sea" (another one I like a lot). It's a shame "Barley" didn't have a bit more to it, it seemed like a promising track had they remained together.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    "The Bell In The Sea" (another one I like a lot).
    My favorite version:

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

sorry, got things mixed up – my bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Some of that music ended up on Seasons End but lyrically ended up on Vigil In A Wilderness Of Mirrors. One of my favourites from that batch of tunes is "Shadows On The Barley", which later became "The Bell In The Sea" (another one I like a lot). It's a shame "Barley" didn't have a bit more to it, it seemed like a promising track had they remained together.
    That would make sense !