Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flying Colors to record 2nd effort in a "few weeks"

Flying Colors to record 2nd effort in a "few weeks"

Just saw on Steve Morse's FB page that FC is getting together soon to record their second cd. They've been writing together via Skype.

Between this, several concerts and the new TA, Neal and Mike will be very busy in May.

Excellent news. Absolutely love this album - in fact I'm listening to it now.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Considering that TA is recording in May too, I guess Neal & Mike will be holed up in Neal's studio for several weeks (when they're not at gigs in PA, CA or Canada) and alternating recording sessions with FC & TA. That's great news!

However, the reality for the listening public is probably 9 - 12 months at least to hear any material. It took around 15 months for Flying Colors to release their first CD after the main recording sessions had taken place. And Neal already mentioned a possible early 2014 release for the next TA. That is, of course, if recording goes fairly smoothly.

But I'm really glad to hear that they're going ahead with new recordings, and that I'll get to see TA play live in PA this May!

Quote Originally Posted by ScottAM View Post
    But I'm really glad to hear that they're going ahead with new recordings, and that I'll get to see TA play live in PA this May!
    Transatlantic are touring in May ?? Where can I find the dates as there not listed on the website ???

No, they're not touring. But Neal is touring with the Flower Kings, and Mike is playing with Neal on some of the dates. During those dates, they'll do some Transatlantic with Neal/Mike/Roine during the encore.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Great News, FC 1st disc is the most interesting music to come along in years

So does that mean they'll record a few weeks from now, or record over a period of a few weeks, or both?

Crossing fingers in any case in the hopes that Neal will be in a dry spell when it comes to lyrics....

I imagine both. Steve Morse didn't provide much in his blurb other than they're getting together in a few weeks. They were together 10 days for the first one, so I imagine a similar amount of time will be spent in the studio this go around.

Wonder what happened to the live DVD ? I remember one of the shows being professionally filmed , can't remember which one though !

Portnoy mentioned the DVD is close to finished.

Guys, are we approaching a saturation point here? Neal, Mike, Roine and Steve Wilson? Why do I have visions of that large guy in the moivie Full Metal Jacket, being beaten with those bars of soap?
    The older I get, the better I was.

Banned
    Not to anyone's bubble, but I remember reading about a similar thing with Them Crocked Vultures. I saw on several websites that they were recording a second after finishing touring for the first album, but nothing ever came of that.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Not to anyone's bubble, but I remember reading about a similar thing with Them Crocked Vultures. I saw on several websites that they were recording a second after finishing touring for the first album, but nothing ever came of that.
    Neal's pretty reliable. And Mike has reported it on his website, and dregsfan said he heard it on Steve's site.

This is gonna happen.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Neal's pretty reliable. And Mike has reported it on his website, and dregsfan said he heard it on Steve's site.

This is gonna happen.
    Ooops, color me embarrassed. I guess if three band members have confirmed it(or their websites), then it must be true.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Now a second Them Crooked Vultures release would get me excited!!
    Don Cassidy
    President, Interviewer, DJ, Artist Promo contact
    Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio
    www.deliciousagony.com

Good news, the first Flying Colors was quite a pleasant surprise.

Really not interested. Their first didn't absolutely do nothing for me. Heard it in five or six ocassions trying to like it (after reading some positive reviews), but their music was nothing new, different or interesting. Was expecting something more Progressive coming from that bunch of great players.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gilawi View Post
    Really not interested. Their first didn't absolutely do nothing for me. Heard it in five or six ocassions trying to like it (after reading some positive reviews), but their music was nothing new, different or interesting. Was expecting something more Progressive coming from that bunch of great players.
    If you read the press on the internet, you would've know that being a progressive rock band was never their intention. Maybe you should email the band, and have them personally give you your money back.

Good idea. Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by gilawi View Post
    Good idea. Thanks for the tip.
    You missed the point entirely. The band never set out to be a prog band, and it was not advertised or promoted as such. You expectations were of something other than reality. I just hear a collection of very fine rock songs played by talented musicians. Works for me.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    You missed the point entirely. The band never set out to be a prog band, and it was not advertised or promoted as such. You expectations were of something other than reality. I just hear a collection of very fine rock songs played by talented musicians. Works for me.
    You took the works right out of my mouth, Mr. Yanks. I was going to say something similar, but I didn't want to accused of being a moderator.

Jon Neudorf
    While this is not a 'progressive' album per se, there are certainly proggy bits here and there. That said, this is so well performed, as has already been stated, that whether or not it's progressive is irrelevant to me. The songs are excellent and that's all that matters in the big scheme of things.

Regards,
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post
    While this is not a 'progressive' album per se, there are certainly proggy bits here and there. That said, this is so well performed, as has already been stated, that whether or not it's progressive is irrelevant to me. The songs are excellent and that's all that matters in the big scheme of things.

Regards,
    Jon
    Yes. Jon, you nailed it.

I wouldn't call it "progressive," but again, that's not what they set out to do. This is five excellent musicians getting together to make a great pop/rock record, using bands like Jellyfish as an influence. I love Steve Morse's playing on this record. Everyone here is rather restrained, but you still know that they can blow the doors off if they want to.

Old man of prog
    I only wish they would bail on singer Casey Macpherson. He is SO not up to the standards of the rest of the band. His main band Alpha Rev is G-d awful. I wonder if he's Neal's next door neighbor or something. Blechhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by progmeister View Post
    I only wish they would bail on singer Casey Macpherson. He is SO not up to the standards of the rest of the band. His main band Alpha Rev is G-d awful. I wonder if he's Neal's next door neighbor or something. Blechhhhh
    Really? I guess maybe he's an acquired taste, but I liked his performance right away.