Thread: The Sword - Apocryphon

The Sword - Apocryphon

The fourth album from stoners THE SWORD is out, heard a few tunes on Youtube and it sounds damn good!

I think it's great. I don't think they brought much/if anything new to the ZZ Top cover, but the rest of the album rocks.

Banned
    I stumbled onto this thread by accident, so I wanted to give my two cents. I was turned onto The Sword because of the stoner thread. I had heard a couple of their songs on a Music Choice rock station. I was afraid to buy this one because I heard it wasn't as Sabbath-sounding as their other CDs. I guess I heard wrong. It sure scratches the Sabbath itch. Btw, I bought the regular edition at Best Buy a week or so back.

For some reason, this album doesn't do as much for me as it does for you guys. I like it well enough, but in a similar vein, I prefer Black Pyramid. I have the album "II" and it certainly rocks but it also has more going on with regard to lengthier arrangements and an almost psychedelic feel in places. I generally tend to prefer my stoner rock less lyrically focused but that's just me!

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    I generally tend to prefer my stoner rock less lyrically focused but that's just me!
    You might want to give Karma to Burn a listen. they have singing/lyrics in some songs, but mostly their music is instrumental.

I'm a sucker for the quasi-mystical/mythological lyrics on this and all of their albums. Exactly the kind of lyrics I want to hear with heavy music as opposed to something really negative or depressing.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    I'm a sucker for the quasi-mystical/mythological lyrics on this and all of their albums. Exactly the kind of lyrics I want to hear with heavy music as opposed to something really negative or depressing.
    I dig the lyrics as well. I did see Warp Riders at FYE. Should that be my next Sword purchase?

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I dig the lyrics as well. I did see Warp Riders at FYE. Should that be my next Sword purchase?
    Next? You should have all 4 albums by now. Stop slacking!
    If you only have Apocryphon and can only buy one at a time, then I'd get Age of Winters, Gods of the Earth and Warp Riders in that order. But you're gonna have them all eventually so may as well pony up now.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Banned
    Next? You should have all 4 albums by now. Stop slacking!
    If you only have Apocryphon and can only buy one at a time, then I'd get Age of Winters, Gods of the Earth and Warp Riders in that order. But you're gonna have them all eventually so may as well pony up now.
    I did see some Swords CDs at FYE, but I don't know when I'll be back there next.

Next? If you only have Apocryphon and can only buy one at a time, then I'd get Age of Winters, Gods of the Earth and Warp Riders in that order. But you're gonna have them all eventually so may as well pony up now.
    Agreed. This band has been one of diminished returns for me. Age Of Winters is easily my favorite, with Gods Of The Earth second. The latter two don't do it for me nearly as much.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Agreed. This band has been one of diminished returns for me. Age Of Winters is easily my favorite, with Gods Of The Earth second. The latter two don't do it for me nearly as much.
    Maybe I'll try Age Of Winters next. I still have a hard time getting much into this band based on Apocryphon-the only disc I have by The Sword-maybe an earlier album will do it for me.

Steve, my first exposure to the band was Age Of Winters so I guess it imprinted me. I find it has the most organic sound and feel to it. I also believe it has the tastiest riffs this band ever recorded. If it leaves you feeling 'meh' then move on. God knows we've been discussing much better bands (imo) in the stoner thread!

Here you go. You can cample the whole thing:

"Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-