Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: RIP Storm Thorgerson

RIP Storm Thorgerson

What were your faves from him?

I cannot even fathom where to start. So many crucial faves from him. R.I.P. for a fantastic artist.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

What a shame. I hadn't heard.

Obviously those Floyd images are classic, and didn't he do a couple of Peter Gabriel's, like the Melt cover? At the moment though, the other favorite that comes to my mind is for The Last Days of Gravity (Younger Brother).

MI0000826896.jpg

The inner booklet follows suit, showing images of odd objects (like an apple and a VW bus), as well as the band members, cut into ribbon-like strips. Weird but somehow I love it.

The guy knew how to catch the eye, that's for sure. RIP.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Too sad.

Quatermass - 'Quatermass'
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

So many losses lately.

I'm going to go with a classic, Wish You Were Here.

RIP, Storm!
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

I'm shocked because I knew nothing about this. I've just looked on the BBC News site and they say he was only 70, but had died peacefully. He had been ill with cancer for some time and had also suffered a stroke. Dave Gilmour said Storm was a close friend and his art was an inseparable part of Floyd's work.

In my opinion, the cover of DSOTM is a work of genius in its simple effectiveness.

Here's a link which has an interesting comment about how the famous prism was developed for the cover:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22210378
    Last edited by Big Ears; 04-18-2013 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Added link to BBC News
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

RIP Storm Thorgerson

Sorry to read this. A totally distinct and recognizable artistic style, except when other artists were copying him <smile>

RIP, Storm.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Wow. He was the best, ever, period.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Rest in peace, Storm.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Banned
    RIP, obviously. But to answer the OP's question, I'll be brutally honest in that while I appreciate most of his stuff, especially the earlier PF, I found many of his later creations (Dream Theater, Cranberries, Audioslave) to be less original and mostly a parody of his early works. A pig in the sky in 1977 was mindblowing. A big eyeball in the sky in 1999 was just silly.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Holy crow!! So sad, I love his work (most of it), and have a couple of books of it.

Very hard to choose a favorite - too hard. I'd almost say I was more a fan of his design and illustration work than the photography. Al Stewart's Year of the Cat was a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
    In my opinion, the cover of DSOTM is a work of genius in its simple effectiveness.

Here's a link which has an interesting comment about how the famous prism was developed for the cover:

That image is iconic -- highly recognizable all around this globe.

RIP Storm.

Some of my favorite covers: Animals, Presence, WYWH, Phenomenon

just heard it and i am devastated. without his work i wouldn’t have entered training as a graphic designer myself. he will always be an enduring inspiration and example for excellence in abstraction, composition and sheer simplicity. r.i.p.

Anyone that can think of flying a pig over Battersea Station is nothing less than a genious. Rest in peace my friend.

The man was one of my favourite photographic artists and had a distinct, unmistakable visual style. Let’s remember the man from his art:

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Parece cosa de maligno. Los pianos no estallan por casualidad." --Gabriel Garcia Marquez

N.P.:“Experience”-Von Hertzen Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    just heard it and i am devastated. without his work i wouldn’t have entered training as a graphic designer myself. he will always be an enduring inspiration and example for excellence in abstraction, composition and sheer simplicity. r.i.p.
    Another designer here. Even before I knew that was going to be my profession I could tell Storm's work was a notch above the rest -- like Roger Dean, but more in classic graphic design image-composition-typography terms, rather than as an illustrator. And like Roger Dean he had an easily recognizable style. You could always pick his stuff out amongst all the other album covers as you rifled your way through the bins. If you look at The Nice's Elegy cover, that was the sort of thing people were still doing in the 80s, and that was 1971.

I think one of his last covers had to be The Pineapple Thief's 2010 album Someone Here Is Missing, right? And of course he's responsible for Yes' first post-Dean covers. Another fave I'll add to the list is the sleeve for Alan Parsons Project's I Robot.

RIP

RIP Storm Thorgerson

Big loss for "classic" /album rock.

Ok. ok. Just noticed the thread on the main board.

Oh, the hours spent staring at those wonderful covers. I'm not sure I have a favorite, but Wish You Were Here is certainly A favorite. To have left behind such an amazing body of work to be remembered by is testament to how deep his gift ran. Bravo and farewell.
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

I believe he did Hawkwind's Quark Strangeness and Quark sleeve, if I remember right. It certainly looks his style.

AUGH

Sigh... The world I knew escapes me, piece by piece...

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Wow, the era is undeniably coming to and end. R.I.P.

Thanks for twisting my young and impressionable mind Storm.

Wish You Were Here has to be my favorite. I really like Tales of Mystery and Imagination as well. The mummy wrapped in 2-inch audio tape is a classic.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.