Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nik Bartsch's Ronin Live

Nik Bartsch's Ronin Live

Dunno if there's a thread on v3 for this, but there should be.
    Man, what a great album. This thing is hypnotizing. I loved the studio stuff, but live they take it to another level. Anyone know anything else like this?

I agree this album is killer. It's so hypnotic as you mentioned, yet so damn engaging. Once I put it on, I can't put it down. I also agree that these pieces were meant to be played live - it's definitely become my favorite work of theirs. I saw them live a few weeks ago, and that only strengthened my opinion. Although it sounds very different, the first side of what might be my favorite disc ever, "Love, Love" by Julian Priester & Pepo Mtoto has a similar hypnotic yet engaging vibe.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I need to buy this
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I need to buy this
    You do!

Top 10 of the year for certain.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Is this better than the studio albums?

If I was to chose between buying this or two studio albums, what would you suggest?

get the live album, if you need to choose....I think it's far better than the studio stuff, though I do love the studio stuff.

For those who didn't see it when it came out, my review at AAJ. Great record. The big drag? Flight and baggage delays means I had to miss them when I arrived in Heidelberg on 10/29. Dammit!! y_crying.gif

John, don't beat yourself up too much....I foolishly missed them at Yoshi's recently, and have been flogging myself since I heard the live album.

Yep, one of the best jazz albums of the year!!!

On order. Very much looking forward to hearing it as I love the studio works (at least the ones on ECM).

Ordered. On CD no less.

Hi folks,
    glad to see the love for Nik Bartsch's Ronin Live. Happy to say i was present when one of the tracks was recorded! Here's my take on the album

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Sid & John

Nice reviews, ok I'll buy it already, sheesh
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post

ok I'll buy it already, sheesh
    Man, you can cut the peer pressure here with a machete!

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    John, don't beat yourself up too much....I foolishly missed them at Yoshi's recently, and have been flogging myself since I heard the live album.
    Well, I'm fortunate enough to have seen them before...twice...but really wanted to see 'em with the new bassist and as a four-pie. Am hearing really positive things.,..

Spinning it now for the first time and yes, it's great. Lots of energy, and the now departed bassist really shines.

Thanks for the recommendation everyone, especially Udi. who seems to be on a mission to tell everyone about this fantastic band.

P.S. Stay safe, Brother Udi.

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    Spinning it now for the first time and yes, it's great. Lots of energy, and the now departed bassist really shines.

Thanks for the recommendation everyone, especially Udi. who seems to be on a mission to tell everyone about this fantastic band.

P.S. Stay safe, Brother Udi.

Thanks man !

Yeah, these guys didn't really click for me til this release...to me it's like Weather Report, Magma, Gordian Knot, with the textures/tonalities of modern jazz and stir...that being said i still think they're very "jammy" though too in some ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    Yeah, these guys didn't really click for me til this release...to me it's like Weather Report, Magma, Gordian Knot, with the textures/tonalities of modern jazz and stir...that being said i still think they're very "jammy" though too in some ways.
    Except they're not; improvisation actually plays a relatively small part in this music, which is actually quite rigorous and unfolds with the great care and patience to be expected , if you've ever met Nik.....

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Except they're not; improvisation actually plays a relatively small part in this music, which is actually quite rigorous and unfolds with the great care and patience to be expected , if you've ever met Nik.....
    i think that's what i'm getting at AS the only drawback for me...when i say jammy i mean staying on one to two root note chords for a long time...not equating that with improvisation...although arguably it can be within solos yadda yadda.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    i think that's what i'm getting at AS the only drawback for me...when i say jammy i mean staying on one to two root note chords for a long time...not equating that with improvisation...although arguably it can be within solos yadda yadda.
    Like it or not isn't the issue, but repetition and slow, gradual evolution is what they do...it's a founding premise, more akin to minimalism with a backbeat. If it ain't yer cuppa, well, it ain't yer cuppa...just sayin' ... This is rigorously organized and developed music, whereas 'jammy' suggests something looser and sloppier...at least to me...

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    This is rigorously organized and developed music, whereas 'jammy' suggests something looser and sloppier...at least to me...
    I wouldn't necessarily say sloppy, but yes, the term at least implies improvisation. It's not really fitting for Ronin. Grooving, absolutely... jammy, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    I wouldn't necessarily say sloppy, but yes, the term at least implies improvisation. It's not really fitting for Ronin. Grooving, absolutely... jammy, no.
    +1