Thread: Poor Genetic Material - A Day in June release, samples (Alias Eye, Beggars Opera)

Poor Genetic Material - A Day in June release, samples (Alias Eye, Beggars Opera)

Dear all,
    After Poor Genetic Material's adaptation of Shakespeare on "Island Noises", we spent two and a half years developing another literature-inspired project which, this time, also gave is the opportunity to realize a plan that has been brewing for quite a while:
    that of bringing together two lead vocalists: my dad, Martin (ex-Beggars Opera) and me. On "A Day in June", Martin (who already made an appearance in a speaking role on the previous record) and I share vocals on three songs, and we both sing on two lead tracks. James Joyce’s novel "Ulysses", on which the new CD is based, provides an ideal frame of reference for this collaboration in that it both tells of father-son-relationships and opens up a wide array of themes and motifs to play around with. We've uploaded an entire song for you to enjoy here:

https://soundcloud.com/quixote-music...terial-oxen-of

If you'd like to preorder the album, please reply to this post and I'll get back to you. Or you can preorder the album here:

http://www.quixote-music.de/product_...eorder%29.html

As some of you may know, I left Alias Eye last year; now my focus is on Poor Genetic Material and our new album - I'm really proud of the results and hope you like it too!
    All the best,
    Philip Griffiths
    P.S. I have read many posts on progressive ears that praise my father's work on the first three Beggars Opera albums - I've passed your comments on to him and as you can image he's very happy that you remember him and his vocals on Act I, Waters of Change and Pathfinder!

It won't surprise you to know you've put a big smile on my face, Phil.

I realize that it's an awesome responsibility, but "Tidings" in the spring will never leave my top 5 songs all-time.
    Last edited by progeezer; 04-18-2013 at 08:53 PM.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Hey Progeezer,
    Yeah - Tidings is one of my favourite PGM tracks to date; but I do think we've created something special on this new one, but I guess all musicians say that about their new baby! ;-)

A Day in June is available in the USA now. Kinesis already has it in stock and the other online vendors will soon have it.

Quote Originally Posted by phjaehne View Post
    A Day in June is available in the USA now. Kinesis already has it in stock and the other online vendors will soon have it.
    Ordered! Thanks for the heads-up, Phil J.!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Hey Progeezer,
    we do indeed thank YOU for always supporting us and our music. It is this kind of support that keeps the band going.

I truly wish 2 things:

1. That more people here realize that Anyone's Daughter and Eloy are not the only great bands to come out of Germany.

2. That some US festival promoter hears PGM's music and brings them (you) across the pond.

To anyone reading this who's not in the band , I cannot emphasize enough how awesome PGM is. Why they are not better known in the US , in one old musician's opinion, is criminal.

Like the old cereal ad says, "Try it, you'll like it".

I just listened to A Day In June for the first time.

pgriffiths said: but I do think we've created something special on this new one

He's right, folks!

BTW, any fans of Beggars Opera: this album should be a no-brainer purchase.

Sounds good....
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Thanks, guys. The album is getting some great reviews, so we couldn't be happier! Thanks for helping us spread the word. For those of you wanting to check out the album, you can get it for 7.92$ at amazon.com (mp3), for instance. All the best, Phil: Poor Genetic Material
    www.facebook.com/poorgeneticmaterial

Oh, before I forget, listen to the whole album here:
    http://www.progstreaming.com/_wb/pag...ay%20In%20June
    Last edited by pgriffiths; 06-25-2013 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I truly wish 2 things:

1. That more people here realize that Anyone's Daughter and Eloy are not the only great bands to come out of Germany.

2. That some US festival promoter hears PGM's music and brings them (you) across the pond.

To anyone reading this who's not in the band , I cannot emphasize enough how awesome PGM is. Why they are not better known in the US , in one old musician's opinion, is criminal.

Like the old cereal ad says, "Try it, you'll like it".
    Progeezer, may I add Subsignal, to your distinguished list. Will also get the new PGM album.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Progeezer, may I add Subsignal, to your distinguished list. Will also get the new PGM album.
    I have their 1st (and 3 Sieges Even!).

Consider them added.

Here is a nice review of the album at Sea of Tranquility:
    http://www.seaoftranquility.org/revi...ntent&id=14712

Superb review!

He is spot on when he dismisses the "oh, another Neo band" crap. I find that assertion more than slightly laughable.