Thread: The overwhelming amount of free quality music

The overwhelming amount of free quality music

I just spent an hour on Bandcamp and am astonished. There are thousands of artists there, many of whom have albums downloadable for free in any format you want! And plenty of these are well recorded recordings of quality original music in all genres!
    This fact renders the whole illegal download discussion null and void. It is simply not necessary! It also points to a new/current paradigm in the music industry — it is no longer a place to make a living, it is the in the realm of the amateur — there for everyone to enjoy, but almost impossible to make a living out of unless you only aspire to be a bubblegum dance pop star.

I'm currently listening to:
    Watershed Drag - The Smoking Mirror http://watersheddrag.bandcamp.com/al...smoking-mirror (free download)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Cool, but "illegal downloading" might still be necessary to obtain OOP albums, etc.

Thats my band! Thanks for listening man!

There is a lot of free legit downloads out there, especially on Bandcamp. While I think it's totally up to the copyright holder (in this case the bands) of how they want to distribute their material, I do think it's a shame. I've gone on some sites and have seen 8 song downloads for free also, or at least as low as $5.00. For me, a free download or even an inexpensive one doesn't encourage me to download. I'll stream a few songs and if I don't like it, I won't download it. If I do like it, I will download it even if it's up in the $10 range for say 10 or more songs.

Wilton
    Wilton Said... , Toronto Art Rock.
    http://www.wiltonsaid.com

Quote Originally Posted by cjf View Post
    Thats my band! Thanks for listening man!
    You're welcome. Look forward to hearing more in the future.