Thread: AAJ Review: Paul Motian, Paul Motian

AAJ Review: Paul Motian, Paul Motian

My review of ECM's new Paul Motian box, today at All About Jazz.

The six-CD box collects the late drummer's first six releases as a leader for the label: Conception Vessel (1973), Tribute (1975), Dance (1978), Le Voyage (1979), Psalm (1982) and It Should've Happened a Long Time Ago (1985).

The six albums can really be grouped into sets of three: Conception and Tribute being largely predicated on the core trio of Charlie Haden and much-overlooked guitarist Sam Brown (but with additional players on each), with Tribute being an overlooked gem; Dance and Le Voyage being saxophone trios; and the quintet recording Psalm and trio set It Should've introducing the core trio with Joe Lovano and Bill Frisell that would continue to the drummer's passing in November, 2011.

Some long out of print, others available, at this budget price and for those who don't have all of these remarkable recordings, now's the time!

Review here.

Ordered.Can't wait to dive in.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I already have Tribute, and Psalm, as well as some of the other material on the Rarum compilation. I may acquire the box at some point for the albums with Charles Brackeen.

At ~$40 this is a no-brainer for me. I almost paid $25 last week for "Dance" alone before deciding to buy Woody Shaw's "Blackstone Legacy" instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    I already have Tribute, and Psalm, as well as some of the other material on the Rarum compilation. I may acquire the box at some point for the albums with Charles Brackeen.
    It's worth every penny.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad to the Bone View Post
    Woody Shaw's "Blackstone Legacy"
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes