Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marco Minnemann is back on tour with Steven Wilson

Marco Minnemann is back on tour with Steven Wilson

One for the "reality is stranger than fiction" files: Marco posted this updated status, "It's a long story, something very important has come up.
    So..... please note that I actually WILL now be playing the entire US/Canada tour with STEVEN WILSON, starting from April 19th in Philadelphia.
    Thank you
    --MM"

Not sure what came up, and hope all is well, but I'm doubly excited to see the band this Saturday at The Howard Theatre!
    All this drama is strange, though...

He has and update saying that he WILL be doing the Joe Satriani and The Aristocrats tours as well. I don't know any more.

Ugghhh, well, seeing who actually shows up will be interesting. I posted a new video filmed in Germany on the main board, and the rest of the band is effing nutballs awesome! Rest assured, SOMEBODY will be drumming!

Quote Originally Posted by VickiLynn View Post
    One for the "reality is stranger than fiction" files: Marco posted this updated status, "It's a long story, something very important has come up.
    So..... please note that I actually WILL now be playing the entire US/Canada tour with STEVEN WILSON, starting from April 19th in Philadelphia.
    Thank you
    --MM"
    Well, it's not the entire tour. I wonder what the Atlanta show will be like tonight. Was there an issue in Tampa that caused this?

A little nervous about the show tonight. Will there be a drummer? Will it be an 'Acoustic Evening with Steven Wilson'?

Rick..
    Last edited by Rick; 04-17-2013 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tag

Did anyone go to the Tampa show? How was it?

Dammit!
    I was actually looking forward to seeing Chad! I'll take either at this point.

Go figure, Steven giving Dream Theater some competition! His inner drama queen is showing Seeing the new vid from Germany I'm so stoked Marcos back on board!

I was actually looking forward to seeing Chad for the first time. Plus, I thought if Steven was giving more room in the live arrangements for soloing then Chad might actually be a *better* fit than Marco. But if it's Marco up there when I see them next month I think I'll somehow manage to enjoy the show.

After looking at Wilson and Satriani's websites for touring dates, I'm guessing that Marco will tour until after the Mexico date (maybe not including Mexico), and then goes to join Satriani in Europe starting May 18th. Chad may be back on for the couple of S. American dates?

Really wonder if something went amiss during that first show with Chad last night? Though it probably was something else, they wouldn't have announced a change of drummers so quickly the morning after the first show...

Quote Originally Posted by ScottAM View Post
    After looking at Wilson and Satriani's websites for touring dates, I'm guessing that Marco will tour until after the Mexico date (maybe not including Mexico), and then goes to join Satriani in Europe starting May 18th. Chad may be back on for the couple of S. American dates?

Really wonder if something went amiss during that first show with Chad last night? Though it probably was something else, they wouldn't have announced a change of drummers so quickly the morning after the first show...
    It could be any reason, not necessarily a music issue.

Based on Travis's blog, Wackerman nailed the rehearsal, save a few coments from Wilson. Not surprised about that given his resume. I'd find it hard to believe he laid a clam at the show.

Notes from Theo's blog today ...

It was Chad's first gig with the band so I think he was a little apprehensive as there is an enormous amount to remember, even with reminder notes. Well, he was extraordinary. Absolutely superb. Hats off to him. I was very impressed and loved what he did.

As a drummer who came up in the 1980's & 1990's, I admire both Wackerman and Marco tremendously.

I do hope Wilson can keep this version of his solo band together for a while: they are amazing, and I think Marco is a perfect fit in the drum chair.
    "He who binds to himself a joy doth the winged life destroy. But he who kisses the joy as it flies lives in Eternity's sunrise..." - William Blake

How about both Marco and Chad on the tour, that'd be one to remember!

Have any of you heard about a Record Store Day signing by Steven in the DC area? Seems odd that one hasn't been announced. I noticed on his fb page there's an announcement for a signing in NY on Sunday, which was posted by the record store he'll appear at. Maybe I'll be able to purchase his exclusive Record Store Day release at the Howard Theatre and have him sign it then?

^Wah3, you would think that both Marco and Chad would be something to remember, but for me at least, seeing them both playing with Eddie Jobson at NEARfest a couple of years back was not a treat. The duelling 20 drum solo was painful, and the two drummers on actual songs didn't add much. Of course, YMMV significantly, and a Steven Wison show could be vastly different from an Eddie Jobson show.

I really like Marco's playing with SW, and maybe I would've loved Chad's, too. Either way, I'm super pumped for Buffalo and Toronto!

neil

Weren't the two drummers at NF Minneman and Mike Mangini? and personally I liked Minneman's solo much better. Mangini fits with DT perfectly..very talented and loud.. I think the tour with Jobson, Wetton, Machacek and Minneman was much better than the show at NF, though I enjoyed that as well. I've seen Chad numerous times with Allan Holdsworth and he is a phenom in his own right. Either drummer can handle it...Virgil Donati would be another. Any of the above would add a different vibe that could only enhance the show. looking forward to it either way. I hope everything is OK with Chad, great guy.

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    ^Wah3, you would think that both Marco and Chad would be something to remember, but for me at least, seeing them both playing with Eddie Jobson at NEARfest a couple of years back was not a treat. The duelling 20 drum solo was painful, and the two drummers on actual songs didn't add much. Of course, YMMV significantly, and a Steven Wison show could be vastly different from an Eddie Jobson show.

I really like Marco's playing with SW, and maybe I would've loved Chad's, too. Either way, I'm super pumped for Buffalo and Toronto!

neil
    Seeing Chad playing with Bruford, Doudou N' Diaye Rose & Luis Conte (as 'The World Drummers Ensemble') showed that Chad could work off other percussionists very well indeed, but I can see where two drummers on the songs might not really add anything significant.
    "He who binds to himself a joy doth the winged life destroy. But he who kisses the joy as it flies lives in Eternity's sunrise..." - William Blake

Quote Originally Posted by VickiLynn View Post
    Have any of you heard about a Record Store Day signing by Steven in the DC area?
    IMHO, there are no really appropriate record stores in the DC area where he could do a signing. Yes, there are some vinyl shops, but none that are 'glitzy' or that would be too in-tune with the likes of SW.

Just got back from the ATL show. I thought Chad did a great job. I am no drumming expert, but sounded good to me. Steven was very complimentary as well. He indicated that Chad was reading the music as he had been with the band for only 48 hours.

Great show. Highly recommended.

Rick..

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    How about both Marco and Chad on the tour, that'd be one to remember!
    Saw Marco and Simon Phillips together when they played with Jobson.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by omark View Post
    IMHO, there are no really appropriate record stores in the DC area where he could do a signing. Yes, there are some vinyl shops, but none that are 'glitzy' or that would be too in-tune with the likes of SW.
    I agree. I just would really like his exclusive Record Store Day release!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Steven was very complimentary as well. He indicated that Chad was reading the music as he had been with the band for only 48 hours.

Rick..
    I think Minnemann is a better fit overall for this band, but I have to tell you, to see Wackerman pull that off like that, THAT would have been well worth the price of admission, greatness in action. Amazing. That's a show one would hope got recorded or filmed or SOMEthing.

Thanks for the post!

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Great news. Especially since I now have a ticket!
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Watson View Post
    Did anyone go to the Tampa show? How was it?
    There were more hiccups from other members of the band than there were from Chad. Steven even made a self-deprecating humourous comment to that effect. As it was the first show of the US tour, on a stage a little too cramped for the show they are putting on there were some minor technical problems to work through too. All in all, it was fine and none of the problems impacted the performance significantly, which was still at an extremely high level. Chad was really really awesome - not to knock Marco who I love too, but I was grateful for the opportunity to watch and listen to Chad pull off something as impressive as that performance having had such little practice.