Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WHAT is classic prog?

Quote Originally Posted by DGuitarist View Post
    It used to be called "Art Rock." Now that term seems to only apply to styles such as Roxy, Bowie, and Eno. The term "progressive" was never used by anybody I knew, or my friends. I think Wenner is behind all of this prog-damning. Key word: behind.
    ...this topic keeps on giving ...my simple advise "just Google it", find the magazine articles, posters and other evidence supporting your case...and share it with us....

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    I'm not one of those that feels the need to throw fusion into the prog camp. However, it can be an interesting form that is related, and I wouldn't dismiss it if you can play it. Lots of variety in that field, from Miles to Mahavishnu to Return To Forever to Gong, etc. I certainly wouldn't rule it out.
    I mentioned earlier in this thread that I was in a Gentle Giant cover band for a little while. For our first gig, we played one set of Mahavishnu Orchestra material and one set of GG stuff. It wasn't my band or my idea and I wasn't sure that the combination would go over so well, but (to my surprise) the crowd was very receptive to both. The band's leader figured the MO material would come together more quickly than preparing a whole night of GG music. Not that MO tunes are exactly easy to play, but they are compared to GG! By our next gig, we did all GG stuff. Then the keyboard player and I were ousted, because we couldn't agree with the leader about anything... especially the bass player and drummer he chose (without consulting us) after the original ones couldn't do the second gig. But I digress. My point was that Mikhael is right; you could definitely throw some fusion in there without disappointing too many people. Well, maybe definitely is too strong a word, as I've discovered through this site that there's a fair amount of prog fans that don't like fusion. At any rate, it worked for us... at least that one time.