Thread: Tony Banks- Still

Tony Banks- Still

I revisited this album today and it's better than I remembered it. Coupling the master of chord progressions with some great singers such as Fish and Mr. Kershaw make this a great listen. I still don't rank it as high as, "A Curious Feeling", but it should get more love than it does. On the last track, "Final Curtain", there is a great bridge/middle eight section that only the master himself could pull off. Tony comes up with some of the most beautiful chord progressions. Anyway, if you have it, give it a spin. It might just surprise you.

This is my favorite Tony solo album, I think in part due to Nik's appearances on it. There's also "Another Murder of a Day," which has (for my money) some of the best writing and solo playing Tony ever did. "Water Out of Wine" is just effin' gorgeous as well. I once heard someone describe this as "thinking man's pop," and I tend to agree with that description. Killer, killer tracks all throughout. It's absolutely one of my favorite albums by anyone.

I fully agree that "Water Out of Wine" is a really nice tune and was always my favourite from the album. I need to put it on soon--Tony's the man.

I think I might put it ahead of A Curious Feeling, too. I like "thinking man's pop." It's better than "used-to-be-prog."
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

Yes, this is a very good album that somehow slipped through the cracks. I find 'Red Day On Blue Street' oddly presicient, 'The Gift' a 'one that got away' hit single and the almost title track to be one of his most lovely compositions. 'Another Murder Of A Day' really delivers on the promise of having Tony Banks working with Fish. His own vocal turn 'A Hero For An Hour' is also a delightful bit of whimsy.

But yes, 'A Curious Feeling' is a masterpiece IMHO- it's an album that always repays rewards for me.

Quote Originally Posted by soundchaser93 View Post
    This is my favorite Tony solo album, I think in part due to Nik's appearances on it.
    He doesn't just appear on it, "Red Day on Blue Street" and "I Wanna Change the Score" are writing collaborations between Nik and Tony. They're a couple of my favorite writers and it was nice to hear them do something together. Wish they'd do it some more!

Yep Still is a great one. 'Red Day on Blue Street' is a perfect opener, with some great chords and depth. And florentine pogen, so cool to hear you say that about the mid section of 'The Final Curtain'. It's a decent enough song, but that mid section is just sublime, as you say, one of those things only Tony can do. I think my overall favorite track is 'Another Murder of a Day'. 'Still it takes me by surprise' is another good one, with a great instrumental section, but I wish the vocalist had a better suited voice for it. The only track I'm not wild about is 'Back To Back', especially after the glorious 'Another Murder of a Day'.

I remember "Still" being like a lounge lizard version of Steely Dan, and didn't care for it. Maybe I'll have to revisit it, but it sure didn't sit well with me when I first got it...
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    With the exception of Seven, which I consider down-and-out brilliant, I have everything by Tony, including Still, and it's done absolutely nothing for me. I did, however, like the Fish duo.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I don't consider "Still" to be a great album. I like about three or four tracks on it.

Quote Originally Posted by florentine pogen View Post
    I revisited this album today and it's better than I remembered it. Coupling the master of chord progressions with some great singers such as Fish and Mr. Kershaw make this a great listen. I still don't rank it as high as, "A Curious Feeling", but it should get more love than it does. On the last track, "Final Curtain", there is a great bridge/middle eight section that only the master himself could pull off. Tony comes up with some of the most beautiful chord progressions. Anyway, if you have it, give it a spin. It might just surprise you.
    "Final Curtain" is indeed an overlooked track, if there ever was one. It was very inspirational to me once.

Still is Banks' best and most polished pop album, A Curious Feeling and his orchestral albums are not really comparable. The different singers offer a good variety, though they are a bit uneven. Kershaw and Klimek work best, IMO. "Another Murder of a Day" is good, but not my favourite on the album. It had great, well-produced songs, some of which probably would have been hits, if released under a more marketable banner. Seems like whatever way poor Banks tried to make his albums more appealing, it always backfired.

“still it takes me by surprise” ... “mad man moon”’s prodigal son. lovely piano.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    "Final Curtain" is indeed an overlooked track, if there ever was one. It was very inspirational to me once.

Still is Banks' best and most polished pop album, A Curious Feeling and his orchestral albums are not really comparable.
    Oops - I definitely like A Curious Feeling.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Oops - I definitely like A Curious Feeling.
    I like the Fugitive a lot too. Rather enjoy his Al Stewart-like vocals.

One of my favorite Tony albums. Good songs throughout. I even got it signed by Tony and Nick Davis.

Mike

My favorite Banks album. Has some great straight ahead pop as well as some more proggy stuff. A fantastic hodgepodge. Banksstatement seemed to do the same thing as did Strictly Inc. just not as perfect as STILL.

A great album. I am a big fan of Banks solo work, IMO, much of it is tremendously under appreciated. Not a big fan though of the orchestral albums as I want hear Tony play the music. The man is perhaps my overall favorite songwriter and musician. I really hope he records another rock album at some point soon. It seems a shame that he isn't releasing any new music played on keyboards.