Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Final Cut

The Final Cut

The Final Cut was originally planned as a soundtrack album for the 1982 film, Pink Floyd The Wall. Under its working title Spare Bricks, it would have featured new music or songs re-recorded for the film, such as "When the Tigers Broke Free" and "Bring the Boys Back Home", respectively. Bass guitarist, vocalist, and primary lyricist Roger Waters also planned to record a small amount of new material for the album, further expanding The Wall's narrative.

Several pieces of music considered for but not used on The Wall, including "Your Possible Pasts", "One of the Few", "The Final Cut", and "The Hero's Return", had initially been set aside for Spare Bricks, and although Pink Floyd had often re-used older material in their work, Gilmour felt that these songs were not good enough for a new album. He wanted to write new material, but Waters remained doubtful as Gilmour had lately contributed little to the band's lyrical repertoire.

So with the above supposedly being the "official" statement regarding the set up for this album... has anyone heard the original versions of these songs from The Wall sessions? Were there others as well that were bumped from the 26 that were used for the double album? Anyone know where these songs were to fit in the story line of The Wall? I'm as guilty as anyone of liking the album when it came out then not revisiting it for some time then finding how much I like it when I do give it a spin..

Never heard the original versions, but I love The Final Cut just the way it is - a moving, beautiful, cinematic journey of an album.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    with the above supposedly being the "official" statement regarding the set up for this album... has anyone heard the original versions of these songs from The Wall sessions? Were there others as well that were bumped from the 26 that were used for the double album? Anyone know where these songs were to fit in the story line of The Wall? I'm as guilty as anyone of liking the album when it came out then not revisiting it for some time then finding how much I like it when I do give it a spin..
    well, that may very well be the "official" statement but is certainly comes off as "Waters' official statement". The fact that Waters had become a tyrannical megalomaniac around the time of Animals is well documented both in the various stories told by all 4 band members (yes, Waters incriminates himself soundly) and in the awful, dour "music" that Waters has produced since The Wall. When TFC first came out, I thought 'well, it's an interesting statement even if it's nowhere near as musically interesting as any prior, normal Pink Floyd album' but upon each subsequent listen, it became more and more of an irritating little whine-fest having little to nothing to do with the glory days of Pink Floyd.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

You might want to listen to the recent new "Experience" edition of The Wall, which has numerous band demos of material that was either rejected or rewritten. Fascinating stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodie View Post
    You might want to listen to the recent new "Experience" edition of The Wall, which has numerous band demos of material that was either rejected or rewritten. Fascinating stuff.
    First I've heard of this... might just have to spring the $'s and get it.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    When TFC first came out, I thought 'well, it's an interesting statement even if it's nowhere near as musically interesting as any prior, normal Pink Floyd album' but upon each subsequent listen, it became more and more of an irritating little whine-fest having little to nothing to do with the glory days of Pink Floyd.
    My feelings exactly. ITA.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Yes, I have to agree as well.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Double-check the track list on the experience edition of The Wall. I don't think it is going to answer your questions.

I doubt there are any versions of these songs from The Wall sessions. Waters probably presented the material on a guitar or piano, and Gilmour said "pass" when the double-album was still in the storyboard phase. I got the impression that band relations were getting very acrimonious by then. I doubt they spent any more time together dicking around in the studio than they absolutely had to.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

I really liked it when I first heard it; but then again, I was in my late twenties, when I was still receptive to extremely "emo" stuff. It hasn't aged all that well for me, though I still like a few songs; the title cut is nice, and "Not Now John" has the benefit of being, like, the only damn ROCKER on the whole sluggish mess. (On top of that, Gilmour's singing is a nice change, though there's not much of it.) Other than that... "The Gunner's Dream" is about it. Everything else is just so... Roger being neurotic. It's even worse with "Pros and Cons," which I find nearly unlistenable.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    "The Gunner's Dream" is about it. Everything else is just so... Roger being neurotic. It's even worse with "Pros and Cons," which I find nearly unlistenable.
    I would add "Two suns..." but, otherwise, I'm with you.

I remember being surprised when this album was released. I wasn't expecting it. When I saw that Rick Wright's name was not on the credits I knew something was up. The end of my favorite band. Although, the end of my favorite music from my favorite band ended with "Animals."

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I would add "Two suns..." but, otherwise, I'm with you.
    Me too (though I'd probably pick Your Possible Pasts instead). And I'd feel the same way about The Wall if Gilmour's three songs weren't on it.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I live the whole album. I don't really care how it sounds compared to anything else - I just like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Yes, I have to agree as well.
    Bandwagon<------ I'm on it

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I live the whole album. I don't really care how it sounds compared to anything else - I just like it.
    If I lived the whole album I'd probably kill myself.

(rimshot)
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    If I lived the whole album I'd probably kill myself.

(rimshot)
    Well, you would definitely die from nuclear war if you didn't kill yourself first (or by falling out of an bomber...)
    American Hollow - my prog band.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    I think of it as Waters' equivalent of John Lennon Plastic Ono Band, a great album.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

What ever people think of it..it was the final Pink Floyd album !

Jon Neudorf
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    And that's what makes it an important work. I like it as well.

Regards,
    Jon

actually... depending on ones POV the "final" Pink Floyd album was either Saucerful or Animals or Division Bell. Syd worshipers the former, fans of PF as an ensemble which composed everything together the middle, and those who feel Pink Floyd was not Pink Floyd without Rick Wright the latter.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Funny thing is that On An Island has more of an old school Floyd feel than anything post Animals.

my favorite PF album.

I don't find it whiny at all myself. What the fuck record are you guys listening to?

Rick

Banned
    No, the final Pink Floyd album was The Division Bell. Why are you trying to rewrite history, Rufus?

Actually. the final Pink Floyd album was Pulse, but who's counting live albums when you can waste your life on pieces of crap like TFC?