Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Magma - EPOK V

Crap the dang videos!

Nope, don't see it, iluvatar. Magma is unique unto itself and was operational long before either of these guys were, though Doldinger was a jazzer before he was a fusion guy.

Here, lemme give a great intro to Magma- just play this:

Listen to it all in one setting, play it loud and stand back. It's immense!
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Word is that the Montreux 1975 concert was filmed...

Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    Word is that the Montreux 1975 concert was filmed...
    MORE DEFINITIVE WORD is that it was not or it was and was lost. It should have been, as they claim that they filmed everything from 1974 onward, but Montreux don't have it OR the PFM from the same year. <insert very sad emoji here>

This is quite definitive because after doing the Soft Machine, I tried to license these two as the next steps (I had preliminary oks from Magma AND PFM to look into it) and I came up snake eyes on both.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Nope, don't see it, iluvatar. Magma is unique unto itself and was operational long before either of these guys were, though Doldinger was a jazzer before he was a fusion guy.

Here, lemme give a great intro to Magma- just play this:

Listen to it all in one setting, play it loud and stand back. It's immense!
    @Dana:

Sorry for the delay – been researching some stuff. To top it off. Got hit by a sledge hammer on the other thread by “MIO Records”. Suffered a subdural hematoma – dang! Rebell (sp?) was awesome. Doctor says I should be up and runnin’ in about 1-2 weeks or so after some bed rest… (I paid him back tho’, flipped him Ravel! Hah!)

As to your reply: Yup, me neither. However! Their latest music video is very reminiscent of the percussion of these areas: Tahiti, New Zealand (the Maoris), and in Polynesia. Heavy, fast moving, and a multiplicity of various percussion drums.
    Was trying to find the “Brasil” sound of Passport and failed; I was rushing. Found it, but it is not the same sound as Magma; here is the link only, I refuse to throw this up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyrnA7oS0SE (Ostinato on this album is very interesting, but wha’ever)

The other link to Morglbl was an aside only. No! They don’t sound like Magma (who does????). Was really looking for your take.
    And since that post as well as Passport’s links were OFF topic, please let me apologize to the credentialed posters here for that gaffe. I was misbehavin’!

But this brings me to my central question?
    Where in the world do you buy Magma????

Now, I am a somewhat crippled old fart who buys Audio CDs from Amazon (learned how to do that just 2 decades ago!)

In reviewing their first 7 albums, I came away with 2 things: lowest cost $20 for #3, and they are used, and for 4 of their albums? There is only 1 left! Wha’????
    Any help, Dana?? (and please don’t get me started about MP3s, I may not be an audiophile, but as an electrical engineer, I get the concept of dynamic range)

I would appreciate any help you could offer!

To finish this off:
    1) I listened to Kohntarkosz. Superb! But you said: “play it loud and stand back”. I have to wonder if you were joking? If you were? Good joke! Dude, I can only “play it loud” on my 4 Klipsch (but! I would need an audio CD to do that! Hint, hint, hint!).
    2) The live album from the Hippodrome was TOTALLY sick! Great stuff.
    3) Checked out other albums of the internet – superb!
    4) Nuther thought? Can you buy them direct from their website? Didn’t think of that – DOH!

I may be old, but at least I maintain my sense of humor. But. Dead serious about getting a starter collection of Magma in place that doesn’t drain all my pizza money away – crap!

Technical point? To wit: a technicality.
    Magma debuted in 1970 (Wiki), Passport debuted in 1971 (Wiki). Klaus is “old school” too. Sorry dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    This is quite definitive because after doing the Soft Machine, I tried to license these two as the next steps (I had preliminary oks from Magma AND PFM to look into it) and I came up snake eyes on both.

Iluvatar: you can get all Magma right from Wayside. Steve does a great job of carrying tons of excellent music.

Kohntarkosz s the greatest piece of music ever. Every version. Here is another:

I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.