Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Magma - EPOK V

Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post

Best concert experience in my entire life.
    Wow - that's amazing Alberto! Strong words, but I don't doubt you - this band blew me away so much the first time I saw them at NF 2003 that I had to write a tune about the experience 7 years later!
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Wow - that's amazing Alberto! Strong words, but I don't doubt you - this band blew me away so much the first time I saw them at NF 2003 that I had to write a tune about the experience 7 years later!
    You wrote a song about seeing Magma?

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    You wrote a song about seeing Magma?
    Yeah - its called "Pasta Fa Zeuhl" (on Bateless Edge by Frogg Cafe, 2010). I wrote a bit about it in the liner notes, but in a nutshell it truly was a musical life changing experience for me. I immediately became obsessed with the band afterwards, and was inspired to try and write a piece in a (sort of) zeuhl style but just really an homage to Vander. There are similar experiences I noticed in those interviews in Epok V where folks heard the band for the first time (sometimes as a support act) and they were just blown away, completely taken by surprise, no words to convey the power of the music. I had heard Live/Hhai once before NF, but it didn't ring true until seeing them live. For some reason the piece is not on YT - not sure why?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Yeah - its called "Pasta Fa Zeuhl" (on Bateless Edge by Frogg Cafe, 2010). I wrote a bit about it in the liner notes, but in a nutshell it truly was a musical life changing experience for me. I immediately became obsessed with the band afterwards, and was inspired to try and write a piece in a (sort of) zeuhl style but just really an homage to Vander. There are similar experiences I noticed in those interviews in Epok V where folks heard the band for the first time (sometimes as a support act) and they were just blown away, completely taken by surprise, no words to convey the power of the music. I had heard Live/Hhai once before NF, but it didn't ring true until seeing them live. For some reason the piece is not on YT - not sure why?
    That's so cool. I was blown away by Magma's show at NF 2003 - hard to believe the 15 years has passed. Anglagard and Camel weren't to shabby either.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    That's so cool. I was blown away by Magma's show at NF 2003 - hard to believe the 15 years has passed. Anglagard and Camel weren't to shabby either.
    2003 was just fantastic all-around. Definitely in the top 3 NF I saw, maybe even first?

I remember my first Magma concert, it was a spiritual experience.
    It was in Burg Herzberg festival 2001, it was very late as the previous band took their time, I think Magma got on the stage at about 2am. We stood about 50 people at the front of the stage, all the rest went to their tents to sleep, and only a few of us waiting for it to start. We had a lovely soundcheck with the then yet unreleased Om Zanka from KA. Then the show started with Wurda Itah and then MDK, I think it is still the best Magma concert I have seen in my life (and since Magma are the best live band, this makes it the best concert ever for me).. By the end the show I looked behind me and saw a crowd of a few hundreds (perhaps even thousands?) all ecstatic.

^Great.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    My first Magma concert was also a spiritual experience, I think it was at RIO in '12, I'd wanted to see them at Sonic Circuits in Washington in '10 but it came down to a decision between them and Univers Zero who played the other weekend. Fantastic performance with Thinking Plague being the act before them making it a hell of a one two punch. I came out breathless and in awe. Seen them probably three times since then with the Boston gig I took both daughters to being particularly memorable.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Man... I had no idea you guys had seen Magma in concert. I'm a bit jealous.

And Frank, that's really cool about the "Pasta Fa Zeuhl" track. I'm gonna have to check that out! Been meaning to grab something by Frogg Cafe for a while, so maybe Bateless Edge is the one to get.

Hi Frankie. I really, really mean it. It was one night after the Lindsay Cooper tribute concert in London (Fred Frith, John Greaves, Chris Cutler, Dagmar Krause, Zeena Parkins and many others luminaires), and two days after seeing John McLaughlin's band at the Royal Festival Hall. Best money I've ever spent in my entire life. The Magma and the John McLaughlin concerts were actually a bonus, because I had originally planned my trip to attend the Lindsay Cooper tribute. When I found out that Magma were playing in Paris for the whole week, it was a no brainer.

This was my second time at Le Triton with Magma. I had a previous experience in 2006, also mind blowing. The house is small and intimate, with perfect sound. You can virtually grab Christian Vander's cymbals even if you are sitting in the last row. But the concert in 2014 was special. The intensity was insane. It was their last night in their residency and the band was taking risks, playing wildly. Kohntarkosz was unbelievable. You had to be there to believe it.

I was lucky enough to attend another Magma concert last year in São Paulo. Completely different setlist from previous concerts, with MDK and Theusz Hamtaak. Great! I hope I'm able to see them at least another time in the future.

By the way, I'm curious to hear the track you composed inspired by them. I will check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    the concert in 2014 was special. The intensity was insane. It was their last night in their residency and the band was taking risks, playing wildly. Kohntarkosz was unbelievable. You had to be there to believe it.
    True ! I was there as well. cf the E-Rê trilogy DVD.

Obsessed with watching "Felicite Thosz" on this DVD - I know this is not popular opinion and maybe I've said this before - but this piece most likely become my fav Magma piece ever. OK, at least on par with anything else that is great, you know the usual suspects. It has everything I love in Magma - joy, despair, darkness, searching, mystery, solace, complexity, power, incredible beauty....just everything imo. Also it must be said that both Stella and Isabelle sound and look fantastic - just amazing voices and they look fantastic too. My daughter watched this piece with me this AM and liked the music but found CV to be "creepy"

Obsessed with watching "Felicite Thosz" on this DVD - I know this is not popular opinion and maybe I've said this before - but this piece most likely become my fav Magma piece ever. OK, at least on par with anything else that is great, you know the usual suspects. It has everything I love in Magma - joy, despair, darkness, searching, mystery, solace, complexity, power, incredible beauty....just everything imo.
    Right there with ya. Felicite is probably in my Top Three Magma discs, and the song "Ohst" is one of my absolute favorite tracks by them ever. So high-energy and fun.

My daughter watched this piece with me this AM and liked the music
    That's awesome!

but found CV to be "creepy"
    This I can also understand.

Obsessed with watching "Felicite Thosz" on this DVD - I know this is not popular opinion and maybe I've said this before - but this piece most likely become my fav Magma piece ever. OK, at least on par with anything else that is great, you know the usual suspects. It has everything I love in Magma - joy, despair, darkness, searching, mystery, solace, complexity, power, incredible beauty....just everything imo. Also it must be said that both Stella and Isabelle sound and look fantastic - just amazing voices and they look fantastic too. My daughter watched this piece with me this AM and liked the music but found CV to be "creepy"
    "Felicite Thosz" is un my opinion the best Magma album since Flöë Ëssi / Ëktah

Del...
    Last edited by Mekanik Zain; 08-14-2018 at 05:26 PM.

Am I the only one who followed bf Slag Tanz studio album to be somewhat underwhelming ?
    Its sort of overly restrained and static compared to the live versions

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Am I the only one who followed bf Slag Tanz studio album to be somewhat underwhelming ?
    Its sort of overly restrained and static compared to the live versions
    The live version is definitely better imo. The studio production has a slightly freeze dried sound, whereas the live version has more balls and sounds more organic. I do like the studio version though, it's a great great composition. I'll never completely understand some of the choices this band has made in the studio, production wise, over the years.

I just ordered Epok V. I only currently have Epok I which is pretty amazing.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I just ordered Epok V. I only currently have Epok I which is pretty amazing.
    Guy - you're gonna flip at Epok V - it might be my fav one so far but the new ER Trilogie isn't in my greedy paws yet (hopefully this week). Slag Tanz, Felicite, Riah, etc all amazing, plus the sound and visuals are killer. One of my favorite concert DVDs along with the other Magma Epoks and both Cardiacs.

PS - Bussonnet's solo in Kohntarkosz (Epok 3) is just SOOOO Bad ass. Good God he is absolutely ridiculous!

I know that Daddy J-Top is the Grandpappy from the goode olde daze, and he's a real bad monkey, but Bussonett is simply unparalleled on this stuff - I think he's the best bass player Magma ever had.

PS - Bussonnet's solo in Kohntarkosz (Epok 3) is just SOOOO Bad ass. Good God he is absolutely ridiculous!

I know that Daddy J-Top is the Grandpappy from the goode olde daze, and he's a real bad monkey, but Bussonett is simply unparalleled on this stuff - I think he's the best bass player Magma ever had.
    Bussonett is definitely jaw-droppingly amazing. I need to get all the Epok DVDs eventually.

(on another topic, have you heard Phi Yaan-Zek's new album? I just got it and I think I hear a big Cardiacs influence...but I'm not very familiar with the Cardiacs.)
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    (on another topic, have you heard Phi Yaan-Zek's new album? I just got it and I think I hear a big Cardiacs influence...but I'm not very familiar with the Cardiacs.)
    Oh man, I really like that new Phi Yaan-Zek one, Reality Is My Play Thing. There definitely seems to be some Cardiacs in there, if you ask me. Good call. And it has Mike Keneally on it, so there's an extra helping of awesome!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar

Bussonett is absolutely my favorite Magma bassist and one of my all-time favorites, guys a monster.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Oh man, I really like that new Phi Yaan-Zek one, Reality Is My Play Thing. There definitely seems to be some Cardiacs in there, if you ask me. Good call. And it has Mike Keneally on it, so there's an extra helping of awesome!
    Wow, thanks for the heads up lads.

Wow, thanks for the heads up lads.
    You're very welcome, Frank! I actually mentioned this one in our PM conversation a week or so ago, and I really think you would dig it.