Thread: Chris Squire on meeting Jimi Hendrix

Chris Squire on meeting Jimi Hendrix

This must've been posted at some point, but I can't find it (probably on the old board). This is a truly excellent story. A young Chris Squire happened to be playing with The Syn at the Marquee Club in London in 1967, when he was informed that the band he was opening for was no longer Cliff Bennett and the Rebel Rousers, but a new act Squire had never heard of. Just a little trio by the moniker of The Jimi Hendrix Experience. Anyway, enough'a my yakkin', watch and listen as Squire recounts the wonders of the late 1960s London rock scene and his meeting with the legend in vivid detail:

Pretty cool.

I always wondered if Steve Howe partied with Syd Barrett when Tomorrow opened for "The" Pink Floyd several times at the UFO.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

He told this story nightly during the Syn's brief tour.

Must've been something to be around that scene at that time.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Seen it before, but it's a good one! Check out the segment about "Capes" from the same interview.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    He told this story nightly during the Syn's brief tour.
    So, you're saying his lack of improvisational skills extends to personal anecdotes as well?

Quote Originally Posted by devoidzer0 View Post
    So, you're saying his lack of improvisational skills extends to personal anecdotes as well?
    I remember Vince Welnick, when he was playing with the Grateful Dead, being asked in an interview to contrast playing with the Dead and some of the other people he had played with. He made the comment that when he played with Todd Rundgren not only did the play the songs note for note the same every night, but Todd even told the same jokes between the songs.

Fripp's story is cool, as well:

Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes