Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Going To Concerts By Yourself

I don't prefer to see live music by myself, but I'd say that's the way it ends up about half of the time. FWIW, most of the time that I'm at a larger venue (arena or outdoor amphitheater) I'm with at least one other person, but that's probably because the bands who play those venues are better-known. More often than not, I'm solo at the jazz clubs and other club-size venues (up to 1000 people or so).

I am going to another one by myself Friday night. Blues guitarist Anthony Gomes. Can't find anyone else ineterestd. As George Thoroughgood once sadi "I drink alone"........

Steve Sly

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sarah View Post
    Time is running out that is so saaaaaad
    Running out for what? ProgDay? Supposedly ProgDay is on - they often release band info pretty late. Or did you mean something else?

Went to the Steven Wilson show alone last night. Though with this scene I usually wind up seeing people I know so I am never really "alone".

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I thought you were there as Steven's guest?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I go to a lot of shows by myself because I got tired of missing out on bands I like and none of my friends wanted to go to. I find a lot of times I end up chatting with people in my section, or running into people I know.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Running out for what? ProgDay? Supposedly ProgDay is on - they often release band info pretty late. Or did you mean something else?
    Not sure what she meant either, but ProgDay is on. First band was announced last week.

Steve Sly

It's usually the only way I go. For a while I almost stopped going altogether because of bad stuff that happened to me in 2008 that involved concerts. Eventually I started going again but aside from festivals usually with people. When possible I try to go with people. I admit it is "weird and lonely" but you get used to it and usually I'm able to strike up conversations with people but still it's much more fun going with people.

Also, being that I've been to so many prog festivals and shows in the area I usually catch up and talk to at least one person who I know.

Quote Originally Posted by MoodsWings View Post
    I go to a lot of shows by myself because I got tired of missing out on bands I like and none of my friends wanted to go to. I find a lot of times I end up chatting with people in my section, or running into people I know.
    True for me too. Like I'm going to miss Yes because of my friends' lame excuses.

Talking to strangers is great !! I always try to attract some attention w/ a t-shirt. I wore my Camembert shirt to Yes, and met a couple Gong fans ! My Hillage shirt at VDGG in Buffalo got noticed big time !! After the 2nd or 3rd time somebody commented on it, my brother turned to me and asked "Who's this Hillage guy ??"

Like I said earlier, I don't have any hangups about going to concerts alone. I go alone for most of the reasons that other people say they go alone. It's got nothing to do with being socially awkward or being a "loner." It has to do with not depending on others for rides, or being on time, and whatnot. Besides, I always make friends at these shows. I made a couple of friends 11 years ago at a Kansas concert, and they told me about PE. You always meet people who might be by themselves too. Before you know it you're talking about music and becoming friends. The only problems I've ever had going to a concert alone is that when people see that you're alone they see you as a target. They're in a group, they're drinking, and now they're "brave" all of a sudden. Some people just become mean drunks in public. I'm always mild mannered and courteous. There's nothing lonely and creepy about it (imo).

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Not sure what she meant either, but ProgDay is on. First band was announced last week.

Steve Sly
    It was?! Where?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    It was?! Where?
    Look on the "whats on whats new" forum on this site. It is also on the ProgDay web site and was sent out to the Progday mailing list, facebook page, etc.

Steve Sly

Going to shows alone sure beats not going at all. Initially I went to festivals on my own too, 7 out of the first 8 Nearfests. A little tough during down time being by yourself for a whole weekend, but I still managed to have a great time. I was lucky that I had a co-worker with similar interests, and he became hooked on the prog festival scene. These days I wouldn't go by myself for a weekend due to my health, but still do the one off local show by myself if I have to. Did that last year for Dream Theater, Steve Vai and the District 97/IZZ show. I would have enjoyed having some company, but not going was not an option.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Since I was 14, once.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I have gone to a ton of classical concerts by myself. I prefer it generally although I have taken girlfriends to a few and enjoyed it. Like Ernie I am always afraid they won't enjoy it as much as me so it is safer not to take them.

The last rock concert I went to by myself was Incubus. It was weird. the general age of the crowd was so young and female, it was like I was some father who got ditched by his daughter. Of course that had its own appeal I guess and the band kicked royal ass so it was certainly worth it.

Now that I am a teetotalling, clean living drug-free person, I find it not quite the same going to shows with the old gang. I don't mind them partaking, but they seem a wee bit uncomfortable doing it around me. Generally though, there is very little big stadium stuff I want to see and as I much prefer small jazz clubs and classical music concerts, going alone isn't a problem.

i've gone to 3 by myself, but at 2 of them I saw people I knew and hung out with them. it's far better going with friends though.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fictionmusic View Post
    The last rock concert I went to by myself was Incubus. It was weird. the general age of the crowd was so young and female, it was like I was some father who got ditched by his daughter. Of course that had its own appeal I guess and the band kicked royal ass so it was certainly worth it.
    I felt like that at a Coldplay concert a few years ago though there seemed to be a few Dad-age males there with me.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.