Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Going To Concerts By Yourself

After years of working nights and missing shows I'm now able to get to them. Usually go solo because I don't have a network of concert friends due to not going at all for a decade, friends lack my musical taste and/or adventure to go unknown artists. I also find myself not minding standing for a show (except for the tired legs for the next two days) whereas in younger years I always preferred seats or sitting on the floor. Am also, with age, finding friends have less discretionary funds for live music. I have passed on attending shows where I anticipate the headliner won't start until 11 pm or later.

Pro shows and festivals by myself. Folk, blues, rock, punk, new wave bands with my wife.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

All around the world. On land and in the sea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    My daughter wanted to see Yes, and then I told her that Jon and Rick aren't in the band anymore. Her answer? "Ew. Never mind."
    Smart girl. :-)
    Check out Colouratura's sophomore release Unfamiliar Skies - out this spring on Melodic Revolution Records!

colouratura.bandcamp.com

PE Member since 7/14/2001 rushfan's Avatar
    If it's a band/artist that both my wife and I like then I enjoy going with her ( Rush, Peter Gabriel, Porcupine Tree, Blackfield ). Otherwise I usually end up going by myself and have for many years. I never felt uncomfortable going by myself and found that the bands I like the most I actually prefer to witness alone.

It's about 50/50 now for me. Half with someone, half solo. I don't mind going alone. I can get to the venue when I want. I don't have to prod someone, "Come on, come on," to get going. I can linger afterwards if I want. It is good to share a great show with a companion, though.
    Lou

Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

In November 2011 I drove down to Baltimore to see the Steven Wilson Grace for Drowning show. The showtime was 8PM and I rushed to get there, not realizing there was going to be an hour long video before the band finally came on stage at 9PM. Well being alone I essentially had no choice but to watch and pay full attention to the entire hour long video (where essentially nothing happens) that set the mood for the show. I loved it and I can honestly say it really did set the mood for the concert and I understand why Steven Wilson liked it and used it. But if I had a buddy with me I doubt I would have spent 20 seconds paying attention to that video. And yeah a few days later when I saw the same show in Philly with a group of friends, the pre-show video was a non-event.

-r

I've attended several concerts by myself through the years, but it's been a long time. My wife will attend any show with me because, a. she's that open-minded about music, and b. she just likes doing stuff with me.

We used to be a bunch of buddies (anywhere between 4 and 10) that went to a lot of concerts together, from the mid-90's until the mid-00's...Generally ticket prices are not a valid reason, though

Unfortunately, in recent years, some of us moved away from the Brussels area (including yours truly who's in North hgolland during the week), so occazsions to make the full buddy meetings have become rare...
    - not just for geographical reasons (but that's one of the main one),
    - other occupations (kids for some),
    - lack of motivation (especially if going alone),
    - have seen the bands X number of times before,
    - too many disappointing concerts from new waves of prog bands

But I've turned down seeing Hackett's Gen Rev and will do for Camel in Oct as well.... out of lack of enthousiasm or interest... though i know there will be four or five buddies there. Another demotivating factor is doing a long road alone... not just for shared costs reasons, but driving back in the middle of the night...

==============

Like Ian, I haven't got much problems going to a show alone, but I must say that sometimes, I find it hard to make small talk and always have something to read in case I don't find interesting conversations or am not in the mood to "chat" uselessly
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    So would you object if the fans you found were all gay?
    If I heard that Grinder had a way to specify that you were looking only for people who were prog fans, I'd probably try it. I do know some prog fans who I know are gay, and they're just as nice and knowledgable as (most) straight prog fans, not surprisingly.

PE member Davis seems to have interpreted my post above as meaning that I'm gay. Davis, you can't assume someone is gay just because they listen to NPR.

Usually shooting the shit w/ fellow enthusiasts is a blast... if Cuniefest was typical, i'd say Ian is never alone at a show after a few minutes!
    Hope to run into you at another "fest" soon.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bake 1 View Post
    Usually shooting the shit w/ fellow enthusiasts is a blast... if Cuniefest was typical, i'd say Ian is never alone at a show after a few minutes!
    Hehe - You're not wrong there.

My favorite story is from RIO 2011, I flew to France on my own because I could not stand the idea of missing Once Upon a Time In Belgium (Present - Aranis - Univers Zero) featuring three of my favorite bands. I arrived at the venue on the Friday and headed down the bar with a book and an ipod to while away a few hours before the festivities started. Sitting down at a table I noticed most of the Present & UZ guys sitting at the next table. Not wanting to be obnoxious I settled back to read my book and not disturb the bands. I hadn't been there 10 minutes when Dave Kerman told me to come over and introduce myself. I had a thoroughly wonderful time that weekend seeing great music and chatting with the band members and all the fans. It was a fantastically friendly bunch made a lone traveler extremely welcome.

I've had great experiences at all the festivals I've been to (RIO twice, NF twice, Cuneifest) where everyone has been super friendly and happy to talk music, sport, travel, whatever. I'm looking forward to meeting up with European & US friends in Paris & Carmaux this year.
    Last edited by NogbadTheBad; 04-16-2013 at 08:34 PM.
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I've had great experiences at all the festivals I've been to (RIO twice, NF twice, Cuneifest) where everyone has been super friendly and happy to music, sport, travel, whatever.
    That's why you need to go to ProgDay, too!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    That's why you need to go to ProgDay, too!
    There's a chance I'll be there this year, got to work out the logistics. I'm pretty sure we met at NF10 in a bar in the Town having a quiet beer between sets.
    Ian

There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I will be relocated in NC by June 2014 so if there is still a PROGDAY, I will be there!

Been to only 2 shows ever solo. In the early 80s while vacationing in Disney World with friends I faked being sick so I could go to Sea World and see The Spinners on New Years eve and I went to the Aristocrats in Philly 2 years ago by myself as my youngest son and concert partner was unable to attend since the show was not all ages. If it is a must see show and my boy is unable to go I usually can convince my wife to fill in otherwise my boy and I attend every show together. We usually hit 20-30 shows a year.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    There's a chance I'll be there this year, got to work out the logistics. I'm pretty sure we met at NF10 in a bar in the Town having a quiet beer between sets.
    That's right!

Very rarely. One I wish I'd gone to alone was VdGG in NYC in '76. A concert buddy couldn't make it so I bagged it.
    Bad move.....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Don't see much live any more.

Everybody seemd so detached any more.
    Last edited by Camelogue; 04-21-2013 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bake 1 View Post
    Cuniefest was a blast. Nice hangin with you and Ian. And going to that Asian restaurant! haha

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    Cuniefest was a blast. Nice hangin with you and Ian. And going to that Asian restaurant! haha
    We definitely seemed to be disappearing into 'the hood' Nice food though.
    Ian

Kristi
    I often go to shows by myself if it is a band I just can't miss, or I just need a dose of good live music. There is so much great music around here, sometimes the possibility exists to see great music five nights a week. Finding a person with the stamina (and time, and funds) to do that sort of thing with is not easy. It doesn't bother me to go by myself. Like the aforementioned buddy you take who whines the whole time, it is just easier to go it alone sometimes. Luckily all of my family members love the same music, so usually there is someone who will go with me, but a few years a go it was harder when the kids had not solidified their musical taste yet, and were perhaps too young to go to loud shows.

Of course, when you are by yourself and see an amazing show it can be a letdown since you are the only one who saw it, and that shared experience makes the event that much better.

On a somewhat related note, Mark, how did that video come out from that Orion show?

i saw Dan Fogelberg twice by myself. i didn't know anyone else who would be interested. still enjoyed it. i really love doing things on my own, you're the boss and you don't have to answer to anyone else. i travel by myself too sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by beano View Post
    I will be relocated in NC by June 2014 so if there is still a PROGDAY, I will be there!
    With a name like beano, you will have to sit in the field by yourself.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Time is running out that is so saaaaaad

Depends on the show.
    If it is music that I must hear live, I do not care if I go alone, and would prefer it unless my company is also into the music. Sometimes I'll take a friend to 'sell them' on the artist, but that is risky.

Other stuff - I'll go with friends, usually to socialize, and sometimes I end up being a fan of a band that I was only mildly interested in before. But not usually.