Thread: Aimee Mann & 'Til Tuesday- Essential CDs?

Aimee Mann & 'Til Tuesday- Essential CDs?

I heard "Voices Carry" on the radio the other day and it got me thinking what was worth trying when it comes to Aimee Mann & 'Til Tuesday. Where do I start? What is worth picking up? What should I stay away from? How is her new CD? Thanks in advance.

Library Jon

Welcome Home is a definite for me, probably the only one that I revisit.

Most of her solo albums, Bachelor No. 2 in particular. Everything’s Different Now is by far the best ’Til Tuesday album, forming the bridge from the commercial new-wave pop of Voices Carry to her more sophisticated solo work.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

‘“What blow, Goblin?” said Corinius.’ --E. R. Eddison

N.P.:“Electric Junk”-Guru Guru/Hinten

RUSH’s “hold your fire” ;-)>

I find her solo discography very patchy. That said, Bachelor No.2 and Lost In Space are both excellent and worth getting.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Most of her solo albums, Bachelor No. 2 in particular.
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Tiresias View Post
    Bachelor No.2 and Lost In Space are both excellent and worth getting.
    Yep.

I say I'm With Stupid, Bachelor #2 and Lost in Space are her most solid, with Fucking Smilers not far behind. Charmer is also pretty close although I haven't had enough time yet to tell how it'll stand up in the long run (it's deliberately got something of a retro 70s-80s pop sound, which'll probably affect how it appeals to a person's tastes). Whatever is a little wobbly writing-wise and The Forgotten Arm suffers somewhat from being too samey and draggy throughout, but as a longtime fan I've grown to love them too, warts and all.

For a newbie I'd suggest any of my top three (with the warning that LiS is more of a sleeper than most), or else Live at St. Ann's.
    Last edited by Spiral; 04-15-2013 at 09:47 AM. Reason: typos

Another thing I love about Aimee is her sense of humor, which especially comes out in the videos...

And this one needs to be watched when you've got the "Voices Carry" video fresh in your mind.