Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Culture Club - was anyone here ever a fan?

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Well, FGTH's song Relax does have the word cum in it.
    Funny, I thought it had the word "come" in it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Funny, I thought it had the word "come" in it.
    "Relax. Don't do it, if you want to go to it. Relax, don't do it. When you wanna cum". Or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Simply Red were gay? I always thought they were just a bunch of white guys trying desperately to sound like an American R&B group.

Bronski Beat I knew about, I mean, it's hard to miss it in the Small Town Boy video. As for Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Paul Rutherford certainly seemed to look the part, in so much that he looked like an escapee from a gay night club.

If I recall correctly, also, the original version of the Relax video (which I don't think was ever screened in the US, because it was way way way past the point of being "too sexual" to be shown on MTV) was filmed in a gay night club, as well. And I guess because it has that bouncy sort of dance club beat to it, I guess in some people's mind, men playing that kind of music are automatically assumed to be gay (Holly Johnson and Paul Rutherford were, I think the rest of the band were straight, though).
    OK, I did say I perceived these groups as gay.... I wasn't really paying too much attention to everything pop and MTV during that decade, and when I did get a view of the " hip pop scene", it was either at friends' places or parties...
    either way, outside the blatant provocation of Boy George's effeminate looks in Do You Really ? (well did that even qualify as effeminate anymore?? it seemed to much beyond that and travestite), I didn't really give a shit too much... But I did have a reactionary reaction of total western culture decadence...
    bloody hell, I'm anything but a conservative,but I did think the threshold was being demolished just for the sake of demolition...
    Of course nowadays, all of that 80's stuff might seem soft stuff

=================

So I may be wrong about Simply Red (most likely if you say so ), but yeah, BB was rather hard to miss, once you knew a bit the homo scene (which was kind of unavoidable when living the 80's nightlife in either Montreal or Toronto)

As for FGtH, I think I only really heard only two songs and saw two videoclips... Relax (the MTV version) and Power Of Love... that's about it.... So yeah, my perception of their "gayness" was no more than other 80's bands that had rumours like Wham! or Duran, for ex... >> I seem to remember even the FYC being tagged as "gay"
    Last edited by Trane; 04-16-2013 at 09:12 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

"Relax. Don't do it, if you want to go to it. Relax, don't do it. When you wanna cum". Or something like that.
    Never thought about that...

I heard it as: When You Wanna Come... ne less no more... of course I never had the lyric sheet in front of me

But if you're gouing to change "come" into "cum" in every song, then we're not finished revisionising pop/rock
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

One of Culture Club's problems that led to their downfall, in fact, was that Boy George and Jon Moss were having a relationship that they were keeping quiet for fear of reprisal. Then, during the last phase of the group, their relationship went south, while at the same time they still couldn't tell anybody about it. It was so bad that George claimed that Moss would go off time in concerts just to throw him off.

So, like Fleetwood Mac, being in a relationship while in a band together was not a good idea. It was even worse when they felt they had to keep it secret OR ELSE.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

I heard it as: When You Wanna Come... ne less no more... of course I never had the lyric sheet in front of me

But if you're gouing to change "come" into "cum" in every song, then we're not finished revisionising pop/rock
    Eh... the song did seem like it had one of two likely interpretations. One: "Relax, don't do it, when you want to... come (over to my house and watch tv)"... or two: "Relax, don't do it, when you want to... cum (in my ass)". Maybe it was just me, given the videos, band image and that sound effect that happens right after that sounded like a big erupting geyser, along with other circumstantial cues, I just leaned toward the latter.

I never really analyzed Frankie Goes to Hollywood lyrics.

This has been enlightening.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Eh... the song did seem like it had one of two likely interpretations. One: "Relax, don't do it, when you want to... come (over to my house and watch tv)"... or two: "Relax, don't do it, when you want to... cum (in my ass)". Maybe it was just me, given the videos, band image and that sound effect that happens right after that sounded like a big erupting geyser, along with other circumstantial cues, I just leaned toward the latter.
    Maybe/surely you're right... I wasn't paying attention, then... and still nowadays, it doesn't matter to me in the slightest manner (so more or less end of discussion for me about FGtH)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I never really analyzed Frankie Goes to Hollywood lyrics.

This has been enlightening.
    Won't stop me from sleeping tonight and will not cause the slightest ripple over the surface of my pond of indifference

So, what about Cum On Feel The Noize?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

I only know what I know because I saw an interview on VH1 with FGTH vocalist Holly Johnson.

So, what about Cum On Feel The Noize?
    Oh, just realized that you were joking. Those damn Slade boys and their cockney slang.

Loved the band.

My sisters were big time into Boy George and what I heard from the band as a teenager was cool then and still cool now.

Count me in as one who liked their singles. I even have their greatest hits collection on my iPod.

Charles
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    No, no, no, dammit. Inane lyrics, basic play, total lack of passion. The biggest travesty was their anti-way song, please.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

My wife got the first few Culture Club albums and they were OK as 80s synth pop went. Boy George had a good voice and could write a good hook, that's all you need for a pop song. Not my fave 80s music by any means (Prince, R.E.M., U2, Bruce, Dire Straits, Metallica, Police, etc.) but it wasn't as horrible as say, Kajagoogoo or the hair metal bands.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Wow, I'd take Kajagoogoo over the Club any day. Even Too Shy wasn't that bad, and the later post Jamal stuff was largely excellent!

Nick Beggs was in Kajagoogoo, ergo, Kajagoogoo >>> Culture Club
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Wow, I'd take Kajagoogoo over the Club any day. Even Too Shy wasn't that bad, and the later post Jamal stuff was largely excellent!
    Me too ! I remember at the time being surprised how a mediocre band like Culture Club having success Stateside when much better UK bands didnt !

Banned
    Isn't it Lamal?

Nick Beggs was in Kajagoogoo, ergo, Kajagoogoo >>> Culture Club
    Was that a joke, Scott?

Isn't it Lamal?
    Actually, if we're going to be pedantic, it's "Limahl."

Was that a joke, Scott?
    Nope.

Banned
    Oh, my bad.
    Actually, if we're going to be pedantic, it's "Limahl."

Nope.
    I don't get what you're trying to say. Nick Beggs has play with Steve Hackett and Steven Wilson. He is also in Lifesigns.

I don't get what you're trying to say. Nick Beggs has play with Steve Hackett and Steven Wilson. He is also in Lifesigns.
    Right - he also played in Kajagoogoo, which automatically makes them better than Culture Club.

Banned
    Right - he also played in Kajagoogoo, which automatically makes them better than Culture Club.
    Oh. Now, I get. I thought that was what you were trying to say before, but I just wanted to be sure. Thanks for clearing that up.

Isn't it Lamal?
    It is, I typo-ed. Doubly, as Scott pointed out...

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    He's played with John Paul Jones as well, I saw him in support of a King Crimson gig. I thought the huge bassist looked familiar so I checked up when I got home. To say I was stunned was an understatement. The funniest thing was hearing people at NF who were too far back to have a good view ask who the strapping girl in the leather skirt and pigtails was playing with Hackett. Damn fine bassist.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Me too ! I remember at the time being surprised how a mediocre band like Culture Club having success Stateside when much better UK bands didnt !
    Cough cough, Freur, cough

Seriously, I still think Freur's Doot-Doot is one of the great unsung records of the synth pop era. Yeah, the title track was a big hit and gets used in movies and commercials now, but that whole album (as well as the single B-side, Hold Me Mother) is top shelf stuff. Just yesterday, All Too Much came up on my mp3 player. Can't believe two of those guys went on to Underworld (actually, four of them were in the first version of Underworld, but when they reconfigured as a techno act, only Karl Hyde and Rick Smith remained).

Those damn Slade boys and their cockney slang.
    Ackshully, Slade are from the Wolverhampton area rather than London and their misspelled song titles are not rhyming slang, Cockney or otherwise