Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Brandt Brauer Frick - You Make Me Real

FEATURED ALBUM: Brandt Brauer Frick - You Make Me Real

Indie music, minimalism, Krautrock? What is it? IMO, good music if you like those things plus Nik Bartsch, Jaga Jazzist, etc.

Review from ResidentAdvisor
    Suits, ties, austerity and rhythm. At first glance, German three piece Brandt Brauer Frick's live take on dance music certainly appears similar, at least in terms of aesthetic, to that of their countrymen and fellow lovers of the motorik groove, Kraftwerk. However, debut full-length You Make Me Real is a much more warm-blooded concern than the robot-infused rhythms created by the elderly statesmen of dance.

Daniel Brandt, Jan Brauer and Paul Frick's set-up includes drums, glockenspiel, rain stick, trombones and harp. Pretty much anything outside of synthesised sounds, in other words. Although their playing is either treated or cleverly cut-up, sampled and fed back to itself, the emphasis is on real instrumentation, an approach which has seen the group likened rather aptly to the likes of minimalist composer Steve Reich.

So, how does it actually sound? The best songs from the nine are those which turn the house template inside out. "Bop" and its accompanying video cleverly deconstructs a house rhythm instrument-by-instrument before meticulously piecing it back together. "RW John" wouldn't sound out of place in a rinse out by Robert Hood. "Paparazzi" balances classical flourishes with an almost human sounding pulse, while "Teufesleiter" brings the record to a close in a suitably dramatic climax. It's full of bangs, strings and crashing which fall around a creeping electronic backbone. It also may feature one of the sleaziest tuba lines you've ever heard.

While the danceable, mischievous elements of the album stand out, other tracks such as "Mi Corazon," "Heart of Stone" and the title track stray away from the dance floor to limited result. And when the virtuoso tendencies of the group take over, some of the personality of BBF is replaced by a coffee table politeness. Leave aside these small complaints, though, and you're left with a rarity these days: A unique album that offers an experimental fusion capable of moving both the head and the feet.

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I got this thanks to the "Indie Prog" thread a while back. It's one that I keep coming back to. I think it helps that I enjoy Jaga and Ronin as well as electronica, and would certainly recommend this album to anyone who has similar tastes.

Nice to see that this got the pick for today and even nicer to see that I wasn't the first person to say so!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Can't remember who recommended these guys to me but whoever you are Thanks!

Lovely stuff if your into techno minimalist stuff. Way cool
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Can't remember who recommended these guys to me but whoever you are Thanks!
    It was probably either Gak Omek (Rob) who posted in the indie thread a few years back - or me who then caught wind of it - or Steve who caught wind of it from me. And that pretty much is all of us...and Fred.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

i saw these guys play a free gig at Lincoln Center a few years back. way groovy

I have Mr. Machine the 2nd one from 2011 and while being impressed by the sound and production it hasn't grabbed my attention too much
    guess its time for a revisit...
    how does this one compare with Mr. Machine ?
    The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble is another one that could sit on the same shelf

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    I have Mr. Machine the 2nd one from 2011 and while being impressed by the sound and production it hasn't grabbed my attention too much
    guess its time for a revisit...
    how does this one compare with Mr. Machine ?
    The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble is another one that could sit on the same shelf
    I like both about equally Udi so I'm not sure you'll get much more from Mr Machine. They have a new one out, 'Miami', same vein as the others.

I find Kilimanjaro darker, slower & more moody, excellent band.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I wasn't aware of a new one. I'll have to check that out. Will you stock it Steve? I'm also intrigued by Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble. Time to see if I can find some camples.

Quote Originally Posted by FredOCal View Post
    Will you stock it Steve?
    Hi

we've had for about 3-4 weeks.

I think its the weakest of the 3, actually, so I don't personally recommend that you start with that one.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Nice stuff. I kept hoping that the title track would turn out to be a cover (or deconstruction) of the Doors song--it does almost hint at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Hi

we've had for about 3-4 weeks.

I think its the weakest of the 3, actually, so I don't personally recommend that you start with that one.
    You may be right Steve, I need a few more weeks with it before I settle on a preference.
    Ian

They have a new one out, Echo, released last week. This sounds like a return to form for me.

Ian

^^^^^

1-2 short, meh, vocal tracks aside, it IS a return to form, imo.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I Just got Mr Machine on LP....gonna spin it in about 4.31 minutes. This version says The Remixes, and I am now thinking that this is just an EP perhaps? Oh well.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I Just got Mr Machine on LP....gonna spin it in about 4.31 minutes. This version says The Remixes, and I am now thinking that this is just an EP perhaps? Oh well.
    Yeah they released a remix EP version in '12, the album is north of 40 minutes and released in '11
    Ian

Hey, jackets & ties aren't "suits" but ol' folks outfits!

I should know.

Liked them, never really dug'em. Always thought they sounded a bit like Charlie Looker going hipster-institutional. I think Canadian act Muskox did this very same thing way better, and Electric Orange more for the "freakGerman".
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM