Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: David Lee Roth Will Not Go Quietly

Van Cherone anyone?
    I live in an ephemeral eternity

Quote Originally Posted by The Fantastic Progo Rican View Post
    Van Cherone anyone?
    Not particularly

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    Not a fan of the band's music, but I always liked Roth as a person. Quite possibly the antithesis of the typical rock star in *real life*--ridiculously witty, sophisticated, highly intelligent, extremely cultured, multi-lingual. Perhaps the exact opposite of his *on-stage* persona.
    I agree, but I like both. Dave is always 'on' for the camera. I'd like to see some candid vid of him going about his day.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I worked with a guy years ago who at one time was in the music business and he knew Roth and admired him for his intellect and wittiness. This is how he described him. I think he told me Roth could speak 5 different languages if memory serves me well, which many times it doesn't. Rick
    I've read/seen a bunch of interviews with him. He's fluent in at least Portugese & Spanish (well, and English). He's in school, learning the language of wherever he is (China or Japan, I forget). I know people in their 50's & 60's that are always taking classes. It's not uncommon. I wonder what his sisters are like.
    Last edited by davis; 04-15-2013 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fantastic Progo Rican View Post
    Van Cherone anyone?

I am actually a big fan of Chereone………just not with Van Halen. As the frontman for Extreme the guy was great. Terrific stage presence and a fantastic voice. I have also seen him on stage in a musical (he played Jesus in a local production of “Jesus Christ Superstar”) and was very good in the role. I also saw him live and acoustic in a club, and again he was great. But……the Van Halen thing just was a terrible fit. His style both vocally and especially live on stage, just was not in sync with what Van Halen was all about. It was just a bad move all the way around for both Chereone and the band.

Steve Sly

I found VH III (with Cherone) used a few years ago. It's a strange VH album. I guess the word "eclectic" would describe it. No it's NOT "proggy" but it isn't a typical VH album. I remember when this album came out in 1998 Van Halen was irrelevent. No one cared anymore. There are some good tracks on it, but it's just not a very good VH album overall. "Fire In The Hole" is the only real kick-ass tune on it. Not particularly crazy about Gary Cherone either. I'd take him over Sammy though.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    I wonder what his sisters are like.
    Hopefully not nearly as cocky as he is...

But if their female genes are as solid and DLR's male genes are... they must be solid gals...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Dave and his sheepdogs

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I guess he wasn't unaware of all this:

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    Not a fan of the band's music, but I always liked Roth as a person. Quite possibly the antithesis of the typical rock star in *real life*--ridiculously witty, sophisticated, highly intelligent, extremely cultured, multi-lingual. Perhaps the exact opposite of his *on-stage* persona.
    Well, then I have to admit I'm not familiar with the real DLR. I've never heard him speak much. I think I read one interview once which was actually pretty good (about his EMR work).

Let's not overdo it either, dudes!!!

I always thought DLR was much smarter than his persona (and dumb-sounding spoken voice) let appear, but I won't hold him as a philosophical thinker either
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

One aspect I really like about The Roth Show is his vocabulary. I get to hear words I know the meanings of but don't hear on any kind of regular basis. He also uses words I don't know, so I get to look 'em up, which, for a nerd like myself, is Fun. and then there's the occasional topic that bores me; specifically Episode 9: The Ballad of Rikidozan.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Let's not overdo it either, dudes!!!

I always thought DLR was much smarter than his persona (and dumb-sounding spoken voice) let appear, but I won't hold him as a philosophical thinker either
    Which is precisely why nobody is.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Which is precisely why nobody is.
    like, minutely exact, daddy-o

DLR is awesome! Great frontman and very witty, as many have already stated.