Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: David Lee Roth Will Not Go Quietly

David Lee Roth Will Not Go Quietly

http://www.buzzfeed.com/stevekandell...not-go-quietly

I find interviews with Roth fascinating. There's a guy who has never lost his intellectual curiosity, his passion for the new. And there's this tidbit for fans worrying about the future of the band:

"What people don't suspect is that we're rehearsing, individually and as an ensemble, constantly," he says. "Year-round, stopping only for personal injury, and right now the band is doing phenomenally. But it's not like we're the Stones, living and jamming together in the South of France and getting drunk and sharing dames after we practice. It was never like that."

Barring further personal injury, Van Halen will continue as it is now: a massive box-office draw that will put out albums every few years, quite possibly featuring songs that weren't conceived in the Carter administration. There will be rumors that the band members aren't all best pals; these will be too true and too mundane to necessitate refuting, but the refuting is part of the deal, as much a part of the band's mystique as any song. What was once the Platonic ideal of rock 'n' roll indulgence is now structured around, literally, family values; for true adventure, Roth looks elsewhere. This is not a complaint, it's a fact. Without the clout and imprimatur of Van Halen, The Roth Show loses a little luster, a little marketability. Predictability is a punch worth rolling with.

"The creative process for Van Halen could be more Technicolor," he says. "Let's go somewhere French, Tahiti or the West Indies, woodshed in a studio that's on a boat, travel to little islands, and play the local bar on Wednesday and Friday nights. Somewhere that has international influence to alternately complain about and celebrate and adds more to the emotional menu than, 'We went up to Ed's place.' That mantra hasn't changed in 20 years and isn't going to. Everyone else has very real families, very real tent stakes. To me, travel is still exciting, but for others, it can smack of alienation or disenfranchisement. There are no surprises here at all. We're on that James Bond schedule, every three years."
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I recall when he was feuding with Hagar. He was hilarious and burning Hagar all the time. He's very quick-witted.

I always liked that guy.

At least he opens his mouth...
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I never could stand him. Under-talented blowhard, IMO.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I like him. DLR is a definite case of charisma trumps talent

Yeah, see this is where I disagree with most.

Yes, he's charismatic.

But for me, his charisma doesn't come near to trumping his lack of talent.

Love VH, love them with both Roth and Hagar, but I was never a fan of Roth himself.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Except without the charisma.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Yeah, see this is where I disagree with most.

Yes, he's charismatic.

But for me, his charisma doesn't come near to trumping his lack of talent.
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Except without the charisma.
    Hahahaha
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

IMO, David Lee Roth is one of the great frontmen of all time. He's up there with Mick Jagger, Roger Daltry, Ozzy, Ian Gillan (not Robert Plant). Van Halen has never, NEVER been better without DLR. Period!!!

Banned
    Van Halen is a trainwreck.

I saw VH twice back in the heyday. First time was at the Philly Spectrum, sometime around 1980-81. They were great.

Second time (in Pittsburgh in '84) it was the worst concert I've ever seen.

Never a big VH fan, but I dig some of DLR's solo albums, especially Skyscraper.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post

Second time (in Pittsburgh in '84) it was the worst concert I've ever seen.
    What happened?

Well, first of all, the sound was so horrible, you literally could not identify what they were playing, except for their hit at the time, the ultra-lame "Pretty Woman." DLR made a total fool of himself wearing ass-less chaps and waving his bare buttocks at the crowd like a pole-dancer at every opportunity. They were also noted for that terrible drum solo where, after Alex's mediocre display, they all went over to the drums and started banging away like some third-grader with his first kit.

That was the only show I've ever been to where the music between acts (surprisingly, The Beatles) was better than the show itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    IMO, David Lee Roth is one of the great frontmen of all time. He's up there with Mick Jagger, Roger Daltry, Ozzy, Ian Gillan (not Robert Plant). Van Halen has never, NEVER been better without DLR. Period!!!
    Amen! I like DLR. Although the guy has a big mouth, he's funny and quick witted; he does it without coming across like an ass clown (hello Ted Nugent).

he's funny and quick witted; he does it without coming across like an ass clown (hello Ted Nugent).
    Yeah, DLR does sound like he's pretty intelligent, but he's sarcastic, sometimes arrogant, and full of himself. But what do I care? I don't want to be best pals with Dave, I just wanna hear some good Van Halen music. EVH and DLR both know that the best music they've created in years was that album they recorded last year. Now, I'd really love to hear a follow up album as long as the spirit is there. The spirit that made this band great in the late 70s/early 80s, and hopefully not some attempt to sound "modern." Whenever a classic/rock band tries to sound modern it usually sounds awful.

I agree he is funny and very intelligent. Although it was written a long time ago, his autobiography "Crazy From The Heat" is a fun read with lots of good stories. He pretty much took the high road too when it came to his bandmates. He was honest, but did not slam them nearly as much as Hagar did in his book.

Steve Sly

Simultaneously annoying and a one hell of an entertainer. Also absolute proof that you don't need to be all that much of a musician to be a first-class rock star.

Not a fan of the band's music, but I always liked Roth as a person. Quite possibly the antithesis of the typical rock star in *real life*--ridiculously witty, sophisticated, highly intelligent, extremely cultured, multi-lingual. Perhaps the exact opposite of his *on-stage* persona.

I only ever liked DLR's debut EP, with the funny MTV vids... Never really followed him after his second or third release

Yeah, the man is a true showman with some wits, but he's a little too over-infatuated with himself (just like Hagar, but at least DLR has some reason to...)

As for VH, their debut is in my top 30 for sure, W&CF iha also its moments... but that's it for me...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    DLR is a dink.

DLR is a dink.
    A lot of entertaining people are.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    DLR is a quick wit and a dipshit. VH was a great party band at one time, but they're a tad too long in the tooth for those kinds of antics. And with DLR, there'll always be antics. I also get the impression that he has no use for anyone not wanting to kiss his ass. Its why he and Hagar didn't get along I imagine.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    Not a fan of the band's music, but I always liked Roth as a person. Quite possibly the antithesis of the typical rock star in *real life*--ridiculously witty, sophisticated, highly intelligent, extremely cultured, multi-lingual. Perhaps the exact opposite of his *on-stage* persona.
    I worked with a guy years ago who at one time was in the music business and he knew Roth and admired him for his intellect and wittiness. This is how he described him. I think he told me Roth could speak 5 different languages if memory serves me well, which many times it doesn't.

Rick

DLR is a dink.
    Double Income No Kids???
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.