Thread: RIP Jonathan Winters

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar

RIP Jonathan Winters

Comedian Jonathan Winters died at 87 Thursday evening in his home in Montecito, California of natural causes. When I was a kid and saw Winters on TV, he could have me rolling on the floor laughing, long before ROFL became a popular internet abbreviation, and long before there was an internet. He was that funny. Rest in peace to one of the all-time greats.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Now that really makes me sad! He was a comedic genius and THE master of comedy improv. I love Robin Williams too, but there would be no Robin Williams without a Jonathan Winters... and I'm sure Robin would tell you the same thing. Damn...

R.I.P. Jonathan. Thanks for all the belly laughs!

Genius is an overused word, but not here for damn sure! Truly one of a kind, and not only Robin, but Chevy and even Rickles also cite him as a major influence.

Sad to hear. RIP Mr. Winters. Think I'll watch Mad, Mad, Mad World tonight.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I grew up listening to his records. Winters, Smothers and Cosby

He was great as the sheriff in The Russians Are Coming! The Russians Are Coming.

One of my favorites for sure. Funny, crazy wonderful guy.

Brilliant comic mind for sure. Quite a good painter, too.

His scenes in 'It's a Mad, Mad, mad World' were pretty damn funny.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I was actually thinking he was overrated, but as I think about it, you can tell that his comic timing was widely copied (in a good way). I'm thinking Bob Newhart would probably cite him as an influence too.

Set the standard for improvisational comedy and was really never bettered.

Thanks for the laughs, Jonathan.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Remember him in It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, World? God I loved his comedy. Glad it was due to natural causes, 87 is pretty decent. RIP.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 04-13-2013 at 10:44 AM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Truly one of a kind. As much as I like him in "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World," I think Ethel Merman is the funniest of many, many funny players on that movie.

Brilliant comedian - brilliant improviser. He excelled at "victimless" comedy all too rare these days.

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Brilliant comedian - brilliant improviser. He excelled at "victimless" comedy all too rare these days.
    Many don't realize that Jonathan Winters was also a very good serious actor. I recall an episode of The Twilight Zone where Jack Klugman was a pool player and Winters played a dead pool shark who came back to challenge him.

I'll never forgot at 9 years old seeing him in "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World." The scene in which Jonathan completely destroys an entire Gas station with his bare hands! A classic hilarious movie scene that still has me busting a gut! He really was a one of a kind, and one of the last of the great 20th Century comedians. Hope he's clowning in heaven!
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    The funniest man to ever walk the face of the earth.

RIP
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

He was one of the greats.

Steve Sly

Now I know why I woke up this morning feeling sad. The man always made me laugh. He always made me feel good. How is a person to feel when that stimulus is gone?

I can only repeat the sentiments of others when I say that he will be missed. Peace to his family.

Jonathan Winters, in my mind, was the pinnacle of comedy. Just thinking of him always made me smile. An absolute original. A great loss.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Many don't realize that Jonathan Winters was also a very good serious actor. I recall an episode of The Twilight Zone where Jack Klugman was a pool player and Winters played a dead pool shark who came back to challenge him.
    That episode of Twilight Zone aired last night at 11:00 pm here, on the retro channel MeTV. It was quite good. Nice to see them paying tribute to Mr. Winters.

A few months ago, our library acquired a new DVD of "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World." I had to check it out and watch it again.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I love Robin Williams too, but there would be no Robin Williams without a Jonathan Winters... and I'm sure Robin would tell you the same thing
    He has been very upfront about the influence Winters had on his own comedy.

RIP Jonathan; it's been a long time since I last heard anything by you, but growing up you made me laugh more loudly and more times than I can remember.

Sad news. I loved seeing him on television during my childhood. He genuinely made me laugh. And I loved him in It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

A montage of Jonathan Winters, doing his thing:

That was fun.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth8446 View Post
    An absolute original.
    100% I heard that even in his ill health he'd make crank calls to the businesses in his town. Can you even imagine?
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.