Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rutsey excluded from Rush HoF induction

Rutsey excluded from Rush HoF induction

Not that Rush themselves gave a rat's ass about the RRHoF in the 1st place, but this is kinda fucked up. I have to assume that's totally the HoF's doing.

http://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2013...member-of-Rush

I don't know. Isn't that sort of like demanding Pete Best be accorded the same status as the rest of the Beatles?

Yeah, one mediocre (at best) performance at the very beginning of a long, long, long and successful career with a much better-known drummer...I don't see why he'd even expect to be invited.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I don't know. Isn't that sort of like demanding Pete Best be accorded the same status as the rest of the Beatles?
    Or John Silver for Genesis
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    I don't see why he'd even expect to be invited.
    He passed away not too long ago, didn't he?

NP: Eivind Aarset Dream Logic

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Not really. Pete never made an album with the group.

John Rutsey passed away a few years ago. He owned a Gold's gym in Toronto if I recall, and had remained close with Alex over the years. I wouldn't call his drumming 'mediocre', he was actually a pretty decent rock drummer. It just so happens that he was less into complex proggy stuff, and his successor was Neil Peart. Perhaps history would have been kinder to him otherwise.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

When Black Sabbath was inducted, Ronnie James Dio wasn't included. I'd say he had a bigger impact on Sabbath's overall career than Rutsey did with Rush.

But when the Eagles were inducted, Randy Meisner and Timothy B. Schmitt were both included, as were original guitarist Bernie Leadon and Joe Walsh. And the Fleetwood Mac inductions included the original band members (Peter Green, et al.) and the Buckingham-Nicks version.

Yet another reason to bash the Hall: it's lack of consistency when inducting band members.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post
    When Black Sabbath was inducted, Ronnie James Dio wasn't included. I'd say he had a bigger impact on Sabbath's overall career than Rutsey did with Rush.

But when the Eagles were inducted, Randy Meisner and Timothy B. Schmitt were both included, as were original guitarist Bernie Leadon and Joe Walsh. And the Fleetwood Mac inductions included the original band members (Peter Green, et al.) and the Buckingham-Nicks version.

Yet another reason to bash the Hall: it's lack of consistency when inducting band members.
    Interesting. When I went to reply, this longer message showed up. Maybe you were deleting it at the same time.

Anyway, not to take anything away from Dio, but without the Ozzy years, they would not have ben inducted.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Interesting. When I went to reply, this longer message showed up. Maybe you were deleting it at the same time.

Anyway, not to take anything away from Dio, but without the Ozzy years, they would not have ben inducted.
    Yeah, I added the last two graphs after my original reply.

While you are correct about Sabbath, the same could be said that Fleetwood Mac wouldn't have gotten in without Buckingham and Nicks, yet Peter Green, Danny Kirwin and Jeremy Spencer were also included.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Not really. Pete never made an album with the group.
    Perhaps, but he did record with them and he is on the Decca auditions. I get that it's not an apples-to-apples comparison, but clearly Rush are getting into the Hall because of what they did *after* they changed drummers.

The best argument for letting him be included -- as made above -- is for consistency.

I guess my argument would be "Working Man". To this day a live staple & still played pretty often on classic rock radio. That song, as Rush fans know, was a pretty damn important single in terms of getting them recognized in the States. (thanks to Donna Halper) That's with Rutsey.

Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post

Fleetwood Mac wouldn't have gotten in without Buckingham and Nicks, yet Peter Green, Danny Kirwin and Jeremy Spencer were also included.
    And Bob Welch wasn't??
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    I guess my argument would be "Working Man". To this day a live staple & still played pretty often on classic rock radio. That song, as Rush fans know, was a pretty damn important single in terms of getting them recognized in the States. (thanks to Donna Halper) That's with Rutsey.
    I'm with you. John Rutsey isn't some "footnote" in the history of Rush. He was a big part of their early history.

Actually, one could make the case that Pete Best's mother contributed more to the band than he did. She was the one booking shows in those early days.

I do think you have to draw the line at whether or not a member was on any albums.

Has it ever been determined who decides which members are inducted? Is it the bands themselves, or the RRHoF?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I'm with you. John Rutsey isn't some "footnote" in the history of Rush. He was a big part of their early history.
    You mean a time when they were complete unknowns. Despite some airplay in Cleveland, Rush was not a big deal in any way in 1974. And their sound changed dramatically once Rutsey was out of the band. He may have had a role in their early history, but not in their success. He's gone now, but if he were alive I'd find it odd having him included in the band induction. The original Genesis drummer wasn't included in theirs, so why would Rutsey?

regardless, it would be nice if Geddy or Alex said something about John. i doubt the original Heart lineup will be there. it's proabably just gonna be Ann & Nancy and maybe Howard Leese. anyway the ceremony is pretty much planned out by the MTV/HOF producers.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    regardless, it would be nice if Geddy or Alex said something about John. i doubt the original Heart lineup will be there. it's proabably just gonna be Ann & Nancy and maybe Howard Leese. anyway the ceremony is pretty much planned out by the MTV/HOF producers.
    The original Heart, or at least the "classic" '70s lineup will be there from everything that I've heard. After all, they're being inducted along with the Wilson sisters.

I don't think that Rustey's abscence is a big deal. He's on one album.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    I don't think that Rustey's absence is a big deal. He's on one album.
    This.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    Despite some airplay in Cleveland,
    I remember this well.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Well, maybe the boys will give him a shout-out. He'll be unable to attend at any rate - not making a joke, it might be different if he were alive.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Not that I care at all or think anything good about RnRHoF's usurped credibility, and of the mediocrity of not including certain mband members...

But who gives a f... really???

As for Rutsey's case... He was there for the first album... had there been dozens of line-up changes, I could eventually understand... but Rush is with Peart on te drum stool, period.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

JOHN RUTSEY CAN'T ATTEND-HE'S NO LONGER ON OUR PLANET BREATHING OUR AIR-HE'S GONE ONWARD TO WHEREVER MUSICIANS GO WHEN THEY DIE. SAIL ON JOHN. Now I yelled all that because some of you were commenting like he could show up if invited. You guys need to read all the posts before writing stuff.