Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rutsey excluded from Rush HoF induction

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Well, maybe the boys will give him a shout-out. He'll be unable to attend at any rate - not making a joke, it might be different if he were alive.
    Sort of like what Trey from Phish did(mentioning Anthony Phillips, even though he wasn't being inducted)?

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Not that I care at all or think anything good about RnRHoF's usurped credibility, and of the mediocrity of not including certain mband members...

But who gives a f... really???

As for Rutsey's case... He was there for the first album... had there been dozens of line-up changes, I could eventually understand... but Rush is with Peart on te drum stool, period.
    Plenty of people seem to care, Trane.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    JOHN RUTSEY CAN'T ATTEND-HE'S NO LONGER ON OUR PLANET BREATHING OUR AIR-HE'S GONE ONWARD TO WHEREVER MUSICIANS GO WHEN THEY DIE. SAIL ON JOHN. Now I yelled all that because some of you were commenting like he could show up if invited. You guys need to read all the posts before writing stuff.
    Easy there, turbo. I think we all know that John is dead.
    Last edited by JIF; 04-12-2013 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    And Bob Welch wasn't??
    D'oh. I forgot about him.

The following blog post sheds some light on possibly why Welch wasn't inducted. Seems like the reason could have been a royalties lawsuit Welch had which named Mick Fleetwood and Christine McVie as defendants.

http://blog.cleveland.com/pdextra/20..._fame_snu.html
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post
    D'oh. I forgot about him.

The following blog post sheds some light on possibly why Welch wasn't inducted. Seems like the reason could have been a royalties lawsuit Welch had which named Mick Fleetwood and Christine McVie as defendants.

http://blog.cleveland.com/pdextra/20..._fame_snu.html
    Okay,FM are reuniting once again w/o Christine McVie. I love her voice and think they are lacking big time without it,does anyone know why she no longer participates?

I thought that she basically retired.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Okay,FM are reuniting once again w/o Christine McVie. I love her voice and think they are lacking big time without it,does anyone know why she no longer participates?
    Well, having been probably the only member of the band not to put every cent she ever made up her nose she probably has less incentive to have to...

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Well, having been probably the only member of the band not to put every cent she ever made up her nose she probably has less incentive to have to...
    What's that you say? Another "Spaceballs 2: the Search for More Money" tour? Awesome!

Yeah that's the only thing about that Hall of Fame... it's a bit too snooty. I was trying to get producer/engineer Ken Scott inducted and I couldn't believe the hesitation. The guy only recorded The Beatles, Bowie (Ziggy etc.), Elton (Rocketman etc), Mahavishnu, Missing Persons, Supertramp (Crime of the fucking Century), Lou Reed (yes that one), America, Pink Floyd (the last song with Syd and first one with Gilmour), Dixie Dregs, Jeff Beck, George Harrison (All things must pass) and the list goes on... what does an engineer/producer have to do exactly to be "worthy"???? Haha. It's a joke. That is such a rare career resume of classics I just don't get it. I really don't. But RUN DMC are in it! (huh?) Jeeeeeez.

Ok I am done venting. The moral of the story is they don't care. They do what they want for their own reasons - whatever that is - and that's that. Someone should just make ANOTHER hall of fame for rock music that DOES care about fans and about the music and the rock history giving credit where credit is due. It wouldn't have been hard to give Rutsey some fred. For his family. Would it hurt anyone to do it? No. But... nahhhhh.

Anyway, that said, big congrats to Rush for getting well deserved recognition. About time as far as this.... you'd think it would have been a long time ago it was earned.

Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    what does an engineer/producer have to do exactly to be "worthy"????
    Have sex with a chimp while Jann Wenner watches.

Well that's what I heard.

Yeah as an adopted Clevelander I don't care much about the Hall since for many of us here and out there doesn't have any credibility, I'm not sure Rutsey made an impact enough to be inducted, he was just the guy that Neil replaced and for us it feels like he's been there from the beginning.
    I live in an ephemeral eternity

Okay,FM are reuniting once again
    Will that be with Ben Mink, or Nash the Slash?

i am sure that its the last thing on the mind of Rutsey right now.

Jefferson James
    I hope a holographic Rutsey is inducted alongside Lee, Lifeson and Peart. How cool would that be? Cooler than Tupac, for sure. They could play "Take a Friend" with Rutsey "sitting in" holographically.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jarmsuh View Post
    i am sure that its the last thing on the mind of Rutsey right now.
    You do know he's dead, right?

Jefferson James
    "He's dead, Jim."

Being deceased is no excuse for not showing up. That Dead Beat! (Pun intended)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    "He's dead, Jim."
    Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Being deceased is no excuse for not showing up. That Dead Beat! (Pun intended)
    See post #25.

JIF, that's not a low flying plane that's buzzing you.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    JIF, that's not a low flying plane that's buzzing you.
    I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post
    When Black Sabbath was inducted, Ronnie James Dio wasn't included. I'd say he had a bigger impact on Sabbath's overall career than Rutsey did with Rush.

But when the Eagles were inducted, Randy Meisner and Timothy B. Schmitt were both included, as were original guitarist Bernie Leadon and Joe Walsh. And the Fleetwood Mac inductions included the original band members (Peter Green, et al.) and the Buckingham-Nicks version.

Yet another reason to bash the Hall: it's lack of consistency when inducting band members.
    If I remember correctly, there was big brouhaha about Bob Welch not being included when Fleetwood Mac were inducted. In fact, I seem to recall Welch actually claimed that Mick Fleetwood had colluded with the Hall Of Fame people to keep Welch from being included, even though Welch was one of the figures who pushed the band toward the MOR direction that they became famous for and was apparently one of the guys who pushed for the band to relocate to LA (which in turn led to Lindsay Buckingham and his then-girlfriend to being asked to join).

As for The Eagles, I imagine Meisner, Leadon, Walsh and Schmidt were all included because they all played significant roles in the band. They all played on records that are deemed "significant", and Meisner, Walsh and Schmidt, at least, played key roles therein.

By contrast, and I'm not saying this fair, most people regard the first Rush album as sort of a footnote in the band's career, ie "Oh, yeah, that's the record they made before Neil joined, it's ok, but nothing special". So that's probably the logic, ie the band's "significance" hinges on music they made sometime after the first album. Maybe it doesn't start with Fly By Night, maybe it starts with 2112, or maybe they're being inducted largely on the strength of Moving Pictures. Who knows? But I guess the thought is "They're being inducted for the music they made with Neil, not the music they made with John". (shrug)

Maybe Rutsey will be the one who announces Rush on their induction

Is JIF Doctor Sheldon Cooper from the Big Bang Theory?
    I live in an ephemeral eternity

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fantastic Progo Rican View Post
    Is JIF Doctor Sheldon Cooper from the Big Bang Theory?
    No, I'm handicapped and not that smart. Therefore, I don't get a lot of jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    You do know he's dead, right?
    Yes, but i think it's still have a mind...

Jon Neudorf
    'Okay,FM are reuniting once again w/o Christine McVie. I love her voice and think they are lacking big time without it,does anyone know why she no longer participates?'

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I thought that she basically retired.
    Exactly that. From what I have read she has just had enough (touring, making albums, etc). I don't think there are any hard feelings. She has seen the band perform live in recent years and even joined them on stage at a gig in Maui, but according to other band members she is not coming out of retirement any time soon.

Regards,
    Jon

Rutsey was with Alex and Geddy for like 5 or 6 years before they even recorded their first record, to me (and my opinion doesn't really matter, but so what) that feels like he deserves at least a nod during their acceptance ceremony. He had to have been crucial to their early development and getting to the point of their first album and first major tour.
    American Hollow - my prog band.