Thread: Dissonati - Reductio Ad Absurdum

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Dissonati - Reductio Ad Absurdum

Downloaded this album yesterday and listened to it during my commute the past two days. I really like the album (and just went back and paid for it!). I know there was an older thread about it which I was too late to add to - I remember a couple of people taking the vocals to task. I will admit they aren't very "skillful" vocals, but given the somewhat tongue in cheek nature of most of the lyrics, I didn't really have a problem with the vocals. They work a little better on some tracks than on others. Depending on your need for "excellent" vocals, YMMV. Maybe it's also knowing a couple of the guys in the band, from PE and from ProgDay, but that allows me to relax and just laugh with the songs a bit, which some people might not be able to do.

As far as the music, it sounds great! Definitely should be of interest to fans of King Crimson and VDGG. In fact, if the band decides vocals ARE an area of difficulty as far as wider acceptance, they can definitely consider going all- or mostly-instrumental. In fact, I wouldn't have minded at least one instrumental track on the album. It seems to want it, somehow. The guitar is really good, and very Frippian at times.

Anyway, it's a very cool album, and I'm looking forward to listening to it some more.

Here's the link to the band's site, in case anyone wants to check it out. I really like the idea of letting people download it right away without paying and asking for a donation later. That, and LOW-priced downloads are getting me to download more music lately. I also downloaded something from the 10T Records site yesterday, and the choice of downloading a fairly high-quality MP3 for just $5 pretty attractive to me.

http://www.dissonati.com/index.htm

I like the album too. Yep, good guitar playing for sure.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    It's a nice album.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I didn't mean to make it sound like the vocals are very tongue in cheek. That's more on Age of Foeces. I'm enjoying the lyrics more and more. They remind me of some of Peter Hammill's lyrics.

I got this CD last year and play it now and then. It's a weird and wonderful disc, with a few layers to it.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'd like to be able to read the lyrics. That's what I get for relying on a download! Doh!

^Thanks! Obviously I didn't look close enough.

I'd love to see Dissonati at ProgDay.

We'd love that too! This year we are totally focused on putting together a good show for the new Seaprog fest here in Seattle. Maybe we'll apply next year.

ProgDay is in September - they haven't announced any bands yet, so there may still be time.

Well, the other thing we're focusing on is the initial stages of writing, putting together, rehearsing, and recording the second album. Plus getting a new bass player up to speed for June. I suppose it's a distant possibility, though - at least we'll have a functioning band with a full set of material at that point.

I didn't know Virgil Donati lived in Seattle.
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Well, the other thing we're focusing on is the initial stages of writing, putting together, rehearsing, and recording the second album. Plus getting a new bass player up to speed for June. I suppose it's a distant possibility, though - at least we'll have a functioning band with a full set of material at that point.
    And since you'd be there anyway, John.....

Another fan of this album, and after all these years of John's Progday support, it's the least you can do, Michael.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Stickleback View Post
    I didn't know Virgil Donati lived in Seattle.
    BA-DA-DUMP! - CRASH!!!

Well, everyone in the band said sure, go for it, so I'll send ProgDay an email and see what happens.