Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: The Sunshine Pop Thread

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    The other night I watched Love & Mercy, the film about Brian Wilson. Anyone else seen this? Well worth a look. Paul Dano was quite excellent as the young Brian and even though I thought John Cusack would be more distracting than interesting, he surprised me greatly. Even though I know the story of the Pet Sounds era Beach Boys pretty well, it was brought to life with so much color and energy that it was very entertaining, unsettling and thought provoking. I came away with a little more understanding and sympathy (especially for Mike Love)...love & mercy. Check it out.
    Yes, I've seen the movie and thought it was excellent. My friend thought so too, and he's not a huge fan of the Beach boys, so that's probably more indicative.

The other night I watched Love & Mercy, the film about Brian Wilson. Anyone else seen this? Well worth a look. Paul Dano was quite excellent as the young Brian and even though I thought John Cusack would be more distracting than interesting, he surprised me greatly. Even though I know the story of the Pet Sounds era Beach Boys pretty well, it was brought to life with so much color and energy that it was very entertaining, unsettling and thought provoking. I came away with a little more understanding and sympathy (especially for Mike Love)...love & mercy. Check it out.
    I absolutely dug this movie big time! Check it out X2 for sure.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I absolutely dug this movie big time! Check it out X2 for sure.
    Me too. The next day I was inspired to write a song that sounded shamelessly too much like 'God Only Knows'. I'll probably need to see this a 2nd time definitely.

here's a good one

Word has it that this one made Brian Wilson shit his pants

Last edited by progholio; 10-08-2015 at 10:45 AM.

I just listened to this one earlier today, no self respecting sunshine pop fan should be without it

^From memory, 'It's You' was my favourite song on that. Worth checking out Sagittarius' work of that same period, also heavily involving Curt Boettcher.

^A great album. Worth checking out are The Ballroom and GoldeBriars for more Boettcher. Also, many productions of his. (The Association, Tommy Roe, etc...)

It's been a while for some Sunshine. Here's a so very groovy song by The Groop. The Jet Song (When the Weekend's Over). One of the great Sunshine songs.

https://www.thisismyjam.com/song/the...-weekends-over

Been listing to The Point from Harry Nilsson. Still as good as the first time I listened to it.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

I gravitate towards this kind of pop music naturally, and covered a lot of ground looking at this kind of music in Europe during the 60s. I never heard the expression Sunshine Pop before, and never heard of this band much nor heard their album, which is pretty progressive for a pop album:

The Peppermint Trolley Co. - S/T (1968, Full Album)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwNPKFKHbQQ

This band sounds more like prog from their first song:

Chrysalis - 1968 - Definition [Full Album, Reissue] HQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KNBjWOBhLQ

I must have recommended Begin at some point earlier up-thread. That is, hands down, one of my most-loved 60s albums. A stunner from start to finish. One of these days I probably ought to get that The Complete Ballroom/Millennium Recordings set (I just have the single-disc reish of Begin with one or two bonuses). Still have yet to hear The Goldebriars. I’d recommend Sagittarius (at least Present Tense, the only one I have) but be forewarned, they are very twee! Curt Boettcher also has a solo album, There’s an Innocent Face, which I have yet to hear.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Really looking forward to the new one from 'The Explorers Club', 'Together'. Here's a track from it:

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Really looking forward to the new one from 'The Explorers Club', 'Together'. Here's a track from it:

This is their second, all out tribute to the BB's sound and vision, and it's a damned fine one at that. Very similar to the Beach Boys most recent release, "That's Why God Made The Radio". I still prefer Grand Hotel, but The Explorers Club really 'get it' and more people should check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post

I just received this disc over the weekend and jesus christ is it good! I'm finding it to be more influenced by the post Smile stuff like Friends or Wild Honey era and they do a damn fine job with it (the artwork even resembles Friends). I'm gonna do my level best to get to that Progtoberfest gig.

I had a great time listening to Together this weekend along with the Monkees - Good Times and High Llamas - Here Come The Rattling Trees while having the last of my Oberon (so long summer )

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    I had a great time listening to Together this weekend along with the Monkees - Good Times and High Llamas - Here Come The Rattling Trees while having the last of my Oberon (so long summer )
    I've yet to pull the trigger on that Monkees disc, is it worth the time? I do love me some Monkees. That High Llamas is a nice slice of sunshine as well.

Something not so sunny but awesomely fascinating is The Claypool-Lennon Delirium album. WOW! Psychedelic city. There seems to big a great resurgence of psychedelic bands out there right now but this one is the real deal. Worth checking out if you're at all a fan of psyche.

Speaking of psychedelic, here's one of my new paintings. Meet Thalidomide Jeremy:
    tj2.jpg
    "And if Warhol's a genius, what am I? A speck of lint on the penis of an alien?"

There's been some really good releases this year and i would say yes to The Monkees, it's way better than it needed to be. They even did a pretty amazing job with the old Davy Jones recording.

Groovy painting, Thalidomide Jeremy looks like a byproduct of the psychedelic age. Thalidomide, is that stuff still around??

Here's a minty fresh little slice of sunshine for you

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    Here's a minty fresh little slice of sunshine for you

At 1:19: "Don't just sit around and mope / Buy yourself a great big bag of dope."

Well I see the Missouri-Maine Axis of Evil is now Flat responsible for Exploring ways to separate more money from the poor fixed-income retired bastard!
    Last edited by progeezer; 05-08-2017 at 12:08 PM.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Well I see the Missouri-Maine Axis of Evil is now Flat responsible for Exploring ways to separate more money from the poor fixed-income retired bastard!
    I don't know about the rest of these guys, but there's something in the water in Bangor that just brings out the best in us. Hey Geez, check out my latest series of paintings. No goofy kids stuff this time. Yup...something in the water does not compute. :P

alignment.jpg milkyway2.jpg moonglow2.jpg corruption.jpg
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

Sweet WR! I particularly like the 2nd from the right.

Temporary derailment - You might appreciate the mind of an artist named Henn Kim, Bangor. Google her & I'd be interested to hear your comments.

I don't know about the rest of these guys, but there's something in the water in Bangor that just brings out the best in us. Hey Geez, check out my latest series of paintings. No goofy kids stuff this time. Yup...something in the water does not compute. :P

alignment.jpg milkyway2.jpg moonglow2.jpg corruption.jpg
    Very nice! Thanks for posting.

Buy yourself a great big bag of dope and continue to enjoy this thread.

Here's a really good one from last year's brilliant Monkees album written by Andy Partridge and has his stamp all over it if you ask me (the guy probably does pretty well living in the shadows as a ghost writer).