Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: So for people like me who loves Yes, Genesis etc BUT!!

So for people like me who loves Yes, Genesis etc BUT!!

Is tired and burned out of these bands after decades of intensive listening, what newer stuff out there can offer a similar listening experience without being too similar or derivative? Try to avoid the widely known stuff, point me into more obscure, less known stuff from the 90's onwards (no SB, FK, PT as I have them all)
    I live in an ephemeral eternity

One band who you may not have heard yet is Moth Vellum. They only had one album, back in 2007/8, and it was excellent. Very reminiscent of Yes and Genesis, but not to the point of plagiarism.

Or you may have already heard of them, in which case, I apologize.

Wobbler.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I understand your plight ... Can't say that i'm sick of the classic 70's stuff, but I feel I know them by heart, and rarely spin any of them anymore (unless I buy a remaster, an anniv or sumthing'else)

Personally, I can't settle anymore for obscure or well well-known bands that do things "ala"... I did at first with the Swedish retro-prog trilogy...

You best bet, IMHO, if you don't want "derivative" is to listen to other bands of the 70's that might have "escaped" you until nowadays
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

sorry you did ask the question.... and according to a lot of reviews outside of PE we appear to fit the bill
    Steve Hackett is a guest on two of the tracks as is Thijs Van Leer (Focus)
    hope you like it :-)

www.facebook.com/signslife

Genesis - Big Big Train
    Yes - Wobbler, Glass Hammer
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Moon Safari... I can't imagine any fan of Yes and Genesis who wouldn't enjoy this Swedish outfit.

Yeah I apologize, I should've elaborate more, I'm looking for intricate yet melodic stuff, it doesn't have to sound like Yes or Genesis at all, just looking for newer stuff in that melodic yet challenging vein...

Quote Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
    Moon Safari... I can't imagine any fan of Yes and Genesis who wouldn't enjoy this Swedish outfit.
    Didn't care about them at first, but now I love them, got the first three and the live album, have to get the EP.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fantastic Progo Rican View Post
    Yeah I apologize, I should've elaborate more, I'm looking for intricate yet melodic stuff, it doesn't have to sound like Yes or Genesis at all, just looking for newer stuff in that melodic yet challenging vein...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc9WW1otKvg

Hi Omar,

Based on the subject of this thread, I'm wondering if you might like the new piece Advent just posted (in preview form):

I hope so.

Thanks and take care,

Alan

Mangrove has made some really nice music, particularly with their latest release Beyond Reality. It's kind of a lush, symphonic prog-rock CD. Their previous two albums are also good, but the third is their best I think.

Also, Eteronimie by the band Vieux Carre. They're Italian, and their music may remind you of PFM, but they have a more modern sound. It was leaps and bounds ahead of their debut.

Moon Safari, Frost, Big Big Train, Transatlantic (you probably know them already), maybe Magenta (I love some of their stuff, but not all of it equally).
    It Bites don't get much love here, but I think their two albums since 'reforming' have both been fantastic. I think RPWL are quite good for the late Pink Floyd side of new Prog.
    Those seven bands aren't much like each other, and for me they show that new prog is just as diverse, contradictary and fantastic as the early 70s stuff was.

[QUOTE=aith01;84494]Mangrove has made some really nice music QUOTE]

Their countrymen King Eider deserve much more attention from Genesis lover.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fantastic Progo Rican View Post
    I'm looking for intricate yet melodic stuff, it doesn't have to sound like Yes or Genesis at all, just looking for newer stuff in that melodic yet challenging vein...
    DISTRICT 97

Quote Originally Posted by Dodie View Post
    Moon Safari, Frost, Big Big Train, Transatlantic (you probably know them already), maybe Magenta (I love some of their stuff, but not all of it equally).
    It Bites don't get much love here, but I think their two albums since 'reforming' have both been fantastic. I think RPWL are quite good for the late Pink Floyd side of new Prog.
    Pretty much these. And if you like Frost* and the newer It Bites, I highly suggest Kino, which is kind of like a bastard child of the two and shares similarities, musically.

Also - do you have any Kansas? Solo Steve Hackett?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    You best bet, IMHO, if you don't want "derivative" is to listen to other bands of the 70's that might have "escaped" you until nowadays
    Seconded. IMO there hasn't been much "new" stuff that remotely compares with the classic '70s bands - in that vein, anyway. If you haven't heard all of the better-known '70s Italian prog albums, you might want to check those out.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    all of the better-known '70s Italian prog albums, you might want to check those out.
    Spaghetti prog?

Quote Originally Posted by Dodie View Post
    Those seven bands aren't much like each other, and for me they show that new prog is just as diverse, contradictary and fantastic as the early 70s stuff was.
    Love and got them all, but thanks for your input anyway, looks like we have very similar taste!

Spaghetti prog?

AHEM...it's called RPI (Rock Progressivo Italiano.)

You gotta problem with my people?
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Spaghetti prog?
    Prog Puttanesca?

How about Echolyn? One of the few 'modern' prog groups that IMO equals or even surpasses the old greats

The Watch...So Genesis like, they occasionally cover Genesis songs.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama