Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: So for people like me who loves Yes, Genesis etc BUT!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

You best bet, IMHO, if you don't want "derivative" is to listen to other bands of the 70's that might have "escaped" you until nowadays

That is sound advice. That's what I've been doing for years & I'm still discovering bands from the 70s that I like but which I'd never heard before.

Accordo dei Contrari have 2 excellent albums,Italian band mostly instrumental,maybe all,I forget. I just know I really like them.

For fans of the classic symphonic that want more I highly recommend going on an Italian kick. You can spend some quality time exploring Banco and PFM. If you have invested in this segment yet it's a natural next step

I don't think anyone's mentioned Marillion yet? I'd suggest Afraid of Sunlight and Marbles.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Prog Lives View Post
    For fans of the classic symphonic that want more I highly recommend going on an Italian kick. You can spend some quality time exploring Banco and PFM. If you have invested in this segment yet it's a natural next step
    From Banco I own
    -debut
    -Come In Un'Ultima Cena
    -Darwin!
    -...Di Terra

From PFM I own
    -L'Isola de Niente
    -Storia Di Un Minuto

I own couple of live albums from both as well, anything else I should get from them?
    I live in an ephemeral eternity

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I don't think anyone's mentioned Marillion yet? I'd suggest Afraid of Sunlight and Marbles.
    Ha! I own more Marillion than I should :-)

Druckfarben. Funny name for a Canadian band, but they are simply awesome. You can't put a thumb on their Yessy/Rushy material; they're themselves, and they sweat talent.

I'll second Wobbler (Rites at Dawn). Lots of talented playing and great ideas there; I hope we here more from them in the future.

The Watch (give Vacuum a chance). Definitely up Genesis Alley.

Cairo - more ELP'sh, but great playing, great songs.

Mars Hollow.

Sanguine Hum (Diving Bell). Not the most challenging music in the world and not really like Yes or Genesis, but I figured I'd mention them because it's so tastefully done - and well-written tunes.

Underground Railroad (Through and Through) - wonderfully eccentric. Still warming up to The Origin of Consciousness (after 8 years).

Salem Hill (Not Everybody's Gold). Great album. I couldn't stop listening to that one.

More popular ones that you probably already know of- IZZ, IQ, Tangent, RPWL.

Good luck on your adventure. I hope you find something - it's still exciting to find a new band and fall in love with them. It's a rare occurrence for me these days, but they're out there. If you find something you like, post back so the rest of us have a chance to see what you came up with!

Camel is another favorite of mine, I own...
    -Camel
    -Breathless
    -I Can See Your House From Here
    -A Live Record
    -Mirage
    -Moonmadness
    -On The Road 1981
    -The Paris Collection
    -Rain Dances
    -The Snow Goose
    -Stationary Traveller

Anything else I should get?

Another artist I dig a lot and not sure if I have all the essential is Mike Oldfield, I own so far...
    -Tubular Bells
    -Amarok
    -Earth Moving
    -Five Miles Out
    -Hergest Ridge
    -Ommadawn
    -QE2

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
    Druckfarben. Funny name for a Canadian band, but they are simply awesome. You can't put a thumb on their Yessy/Rushy material; they're themselves, and they sweat talent.

I'll second Wobbler (Rites at Dawn). Lots of talented playing and great ideas there; I hope we here more from them in the future.

The Watch (give Vacuum a chance). Definitely up Genesis Alley.

Cairo - more ELP'sh, but great playing, great songs.

Mars Hollow.

Sanguine Hum (Diving Bell). Not the most challenging music in the world and not really like Yes or Genesis, but I figured I'd mention them because it's so tastefully done - and well-written tunes.

Underground Railroad (Through and Through) - wonderfully eccentric. Still warming up to The Origin of Consciousness (after 8 years).

Salem Hill (Not Everybody's Gold). Great album. I couldn't stop listening to that one.

More popular ones that you probably already know of- IZZ, IQ, Tangent, RPWL.

Good luck on your adventure. I hope you find something - it's still exciting to find a new band and fall in love with them. It's a rare occurrence for me these days, but they're out there. If you find something you like, post back so the rest of us have a chance to see what you came up with!
    Druckfarben, Cairo, Mars Hollow, Salem Hill, IZZ, IQ, Tangent and RPWL have a home at the Progo Rican's collection, but definitely I'm gonna check Sanguine Hum and Underground Railroad

Not derivative: Steve Unruh (best Acoustic Progressive Rock you will hear). Almost not derivativebut great: Unitopia, Nick Magnus, Kompendium; derivative but great: A.C.T., Gazpacho (the swedish group no the spanish). By the way, I'm a "boricua" too. I'd been hearing Prog Rock for 46 year, but I think it will be almost impossible to find groups like Genesis, Yes, Tull, ELP, etc. They set the standard for almost every style heard today.

Jesus, Progo Rican! You already have all of our suggestions!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Jesus, Progo Rican! You already have all of our suggestions!
    Yeah man, is becoming kind of frustrating even when I'm a young pup in Prog years (started listening to prog around '88-'89) it seems I've covered a lot of ground but still thirsty like the first day, another thing I would like to explore more is fusion, have some classic fusion like Dixie Dregs, Weather Report, Mahavishnu, RTF, Brand X but I feel I don't have enough so keep 'em coming fellas!

Quote Originally Posted by The Fantastic Progo Rican View Post
    another thing I would like to explore more is fusion!

[...]

From PFM I own
    -L'Isola de Niente
    -Storia Di Un Minuto

I own couple of live albums from both as well, anything else I should get from them?
    While I can't comment on Banco, with regard to PFM you simply must go out and get their second album "Per Un Amico". It is wonderful.

The English version is called "Photos of Ghosts", and while nice, it's not quite as good as the original Italian version (but it was recently remastered by Esoteric and does include some bonus tracks).

As I recommended before - King Eider.

http://www.kingeider.nl/

Quote Originally Posted by Paulidigo View Post
    What about Phideaux? Doomsday Afternoon, Seven and Snowtorch are influenced by the greats of the 70s but still highly original, complex without being too intricate and melodic without being sappy or trite
    I'm glad someone mentioned the highly talented Phideaux Xavier and his band of great musicians. As mentioned, Phideaux wears his musical heart on his sleeve, and early prog is his forte. But none of his albums sound old, just high quality symphonic prog. His writing is superb, as well as his musicians delivery. Xavier and his band is probably the best sounding American prog band I have ever heard, period! I've become a huge fan. You might want to start with their latest 2011 release, Snowtorch. Or check out some of their videos on you tube. Highest recommendation!
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

From Phideaux I own Chupacabras, Doomsday Afternoon, Ghost Story and Snowtorch, which one I should get next?

Nathan Mahl is another band I want to explore more, I only own the NEARfest Live set.

From Phideaux I own Chupacabras, Doomsday Afternoon, Ghost Story and Snowtorch, which one I should get next?
    Try Number 7. And a new album, Infernal is pending. It should be released fairly soon, and highly anticipated by this fan boy!
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

-Camel
    -Breathless
    -I Can See Your House From Here
    -A Live Record
    -Mirage
    -Moonmadness
    -On The Road 1981
    -The Paris Collection
    -Rain Dances
    -The Snow Goose
    -Stationary Traveller

Anything else I should get?

Another artist I dig a lot and not sure if I have all the essential is Mike Oldfield, I own so far...
    -Tubular Bells
    -Amarok
    -Earth Moving
    -Five Miles Out
    -Hergest Ridge
    -Ommadawn
    -QE2
    Well, I reckon no Camel fan should be without:
    - Nude
    - Total Pressure (the expanded version of live album Pressure Points)
    - Never let go (live album from Dust & Dreams tour; prefer it to Dust & Dreams studio album)
    - Coming of Age (live album from Harbour of Tears tour; Harbour of Tears studio album also really good, but live album essential imho)
    - Rajaz
    - A Nod and a Wink

As for Mike Oldfield, it's been a while since I was a big fan, but I reckon these are worth hearing if you haven't already:
    - Incantations
    - Platinum
    - Discovery
    - Crises
    -Tubular Bells II (the only TB sequel I like)
    - Songs of the Distant Earth

From Banco I own
    -debut
    -Come In Un'Ultima Cena
    -Darwin!
    -...Di Terra

From PFM I own
    -L'Isola de Niente
    -Storia Di Un Minuto

From Banco, you need Io Sono Nato Libero. From PFM, you need (as mentioned) Per Un Amico, and I'd also say you should get Chocolate Kings and Jet Lag.

another thing I would like to explore more is fusion, have some classic fusion like Dixie Dregs, Weather Report, Mahavishnu, RTF, Brand X but I feel I don't have enough so keep 'em coming fellas!
    One already mentioned is Accordo die Contrari, which I didn't mention because I thought they were a bit too "fusiony" for what you were looking for. Another is most definitely Helmet of Gnats, perhaps the best modern Prog Fusion band around. The Bad Dog U album is also popular here. Lost of people dig Kenso, as do I to a point, so they would be one to investigate. Boodles more in this category, but I'm not in front of my CDs just now, so I can't think of more right off the bat.

Bill

there is alot of vintage stuff to recommend but the OP specifically stated he was interested in newer bands. With that in mind, I'd recommend:

Wobbler - Rites at Dawn - love love love this disc. Yesy for sure.
    Discipline - Unfolded like Staircase is my favorite. Parmenter is the shit.
    Lifesigns
    lots of Swedish bands to consider that may scratch that itch: Brighteye Brison, Maze, Anglagard,
    Phideaux's Doomsday Afternoon is great but nothing Yesy or Genesisy to my ears. Lots of Pink Floyd nods though.

It seems to me that many of the recommendations are of the type that Progo Rican wants to avoid i.e. of the derivative kind. Of course, most of the bands in the "progressive" category have been influenced by the 70's goups, so it's hard to find something that's new and non-derivative. Personally, I would recommend White Willow, Porcupine Tree, The Pineapple Thief, Parallel or 90 Degrees (I own 'More Exotic Ways to Die' and I never tire of it, sort of prog with a punk attitude), Vulgar Unicorn (I own 'Under the Umbrella' which I think is fantastic), Anathema (We're Here Because We're Here'), The Mars Volta ('Frances The Mute' does it for me), Paatos, and King's X on the hard rock end of prog. Btw, I'm also Puerto Rican, so muchos saludos!

Art in America

I'll toot my own horn a bit. How about a band that was just produced by the 5 album producer of Genesis: David Hentschel ? We aren't 100 % prog...We do however have a progressive tilt to all our music and in particular in 3 of the longer songs on this record, "A Tale of the Unexpected" and "Lathe of Adonai" the the "live" Can't Stop It .

That is Tony Levin you are hearing on Chapman Stick and bass guitar.

From Banco I own
    -debut
    -Come In Un'Ultima Cena
    -Darwin!
    -...Di Terra

From PFM I own
    -L'Isola de Niente
    -Storia Di Un Minuto

wierd you should own the two masterpieces that bracket PFMs *ultimate* masterpiece Per Un Amico
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?