Thread: Question for folks in-the-know about RIO Festival

Question for folks in-the-know about RIO Festival

The 2013 RIO Festival schedule has been posted. I notice that two different stages are used. For example, on Saturday Cheer Accident plays at 3:00 p.m. on Stage 1, Univers Zero at 5:40 p.m. on Stage 1, Poil at 7:45 p.m. on Stage 2, Soft Machine at 8:40 p.m. on Stage 1, Korekyojinn at 10:20 p.m. on Stage 2, and miRthkon at 11:30 on Stage 1.

If Poil starts at 7:45 and Soft Machine starts at 8:40, then it seems that either Poil only plays for about 30 minutes, or if one stays for all of Poil one must miss some of Soft Machine. Likewise, either Korekyojinn plays a rather short set or one must choose between Korekyojinn and miRthkon.

Can anyone tell me which is the case?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Last year they set up a smaller stage in the bar area & the smaller bands played on that. I checked with Michel as I assumed Korekyojinn would be on the main stage but Michel confirmed they'd be on the smaller stage. There was no conflict in terms of bands playing at the same time so we got to see the full set's by all bands.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    The 2013 RIO Festival schedule has been posted. I notice that two different stages are used. For example, on Saturday Cheer Accident plays at 3:00 p.m. on Stage 1, Univers Zero at 5:40 p.m. on Stage 1, Poil at 7:45 p.m. on Stage 2, Soft Machine at 8:40 p.m. on Stage 1, Korekyojinn at 10:20 p.m. on Stage 2, and miRthkon at 11:30 on Stage 1.

If Poil starts at 7:45 and Soft Machine starts at 8:40, then it seems that either Poil only plays for about 30 minutes, or if one stays for all of Poil one must miss some of Soft Machine. Likewise, either Korekyojinn plays a rather short set or one must choose between Korekyojinn and miRthkon.

Can anyone tell me which is the case?
    Poil are scheduled to play for 55 minutes, right to the start of the Soft Machine set. Korekyojinn are scheduled to play for 50 minutes, ending 20 minutes before the scheduled start of the miRthkon set.

Here's the list of playing times for the 3 days :

Friday : L'Enfance Rouge (45mn), Aranis (80mn), Faust (75mn)
    Saturday : Cheer Accident (75mn), UZ (90mn), Poil* (55mn), Soft Machine (90mn), Korekyojinn* (50mn), Mirthkon (80mn)
    Sunday : Senogul (60mn), Guapo (75mn), Nullstellensatz* (55mn), Panzerpappa (60mn), Ulan Bator* (50mn), Present (90mn)

Bands marked * will perform on the smaller stage.

Calyx, is that the confirmed running order?
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Calyx, is that the confirmed running order?
    As far as I know, yes. This is the schedule I've been given. I don't know what's been posted/made public but based on the OP I guess all the info is basically out there, isn't it?

Just checked the site & thats the confirmed running order.
    Ian

Thanks, Ian and Calyx. It's good to know that attendees will not need to miss any of the music.

Do you know if there are any tickets leftover for sale?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Do you know if there are any tickets leftover for sale?
    Sad to say that it shouldn't be a problem (unless I'm totally mistaken)...
    I've bought tickets at the door three out the for times I went...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Sad to say that it shouldn't be a problem (unless I'm totally mistaken)...
    I've bought tickets at the door three out the for times I went...
    Hm, OK. I don't think I've ever been this enthusiastic about going to any music festival anywhere, but my situation is eternally unclear as to the possibility of making it due to an unstable job prospect and commitments. I suppose I should wait a bit and perhaps travel down there with the Pappzis.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

You're likely to be fine, I've been to the last two and while there was a good crowd the hall was nowhere near full.
    Ian

After several years in which I've always wanted to attend this festival, I can do it this year, finally!
    Does anyone have experience with the hostel as accommodation ? or where do you recommend to stay ?
    Thankful for any recommendations,

Yane

I've stayed at the on site hostel both years I've been. It is very basic but clean and functional. The bar is fine and breakfast is ok. I've heard great recommendations for Albi but for me I like being on site so I don't have to worry about driving, drinking beers or missing a bus. I don't need much in the way of home comforts.
    Ian

What you say about the hostel sounds very good to me. Thanks! See you at RIO 2013.

Yane

I've stayed at the on site hostel both years I've been. It is very basic but clean and functional. The bar is fine and breakfast is ok. I've heard great recommendations for Albi but for me I like being on site so I don't have to worry about driving, drinking beers or missing a bus. I don't need much in the way of home comforts.
    There's a hostel on site? With a friggin' bar? Well, that's it - I'm going too.

Quote Originally Posted by magmaniac View Post
    What you say about the hostel sounds very good to me. Thanks! See you at RIO 2013.

Yane
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    There's a hostel on site? With a friggin' bar? Well, that's it - I'm going too.
    Well you find me sitting outside the bar with a cold beer a book and an ipod wearing a Univers Zero or Got Rio? shirt on Friday afternoon. Say hi
    Ian

Well you find me sitting outside the bar with a cold beer a book and an ipod wearing a Univers Zero or Got Rio? shirt on Friday afternoon. Say hi
    I am sure I will!

its good to see UZ giving a full(?) 90 minutes show after the short set they gave before the present/UZ collaboration...
    I also hope they will all be on time otherwise some already short sets will get shorter-
    I guess thats the main reason for 2 stages...

Hey Aymeric,
    We insist are missing from your program,
    Do you have an updated one?

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Hey Aymeric,
    We insist are missing from your program,
    Do you have an updated one?
    According to the site

Friday
    7.45 - L'Enfance Rouge
    9.45 - Aranis
    10.40 - We Insist!
    11.30 - Faust
    Ian

We Insist! were not initially scheduled to play, only to participate in an educational project with local schoolkids (or something like that), like One Shot did last year.

I'm glad they're playing, I like the new trio format (went to see them again when they played locally here a few months ago), but I can only wonder if this will make my already impossible conferences/interviews schedule even more of a nightmare. Oh well...

Anyone knows if Kerman will play with Aranis?
    (Mabe Dave knows? :-P)

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Soft Machine at 8:40 p.m. on Stage 1,
    Who? With Elton and Hugh both gone, and Ratledge not performing anymore.... Sure this isn't Soft Machine Legacy??? The clip attached to the listing is SML. There's a difference!

Interestingly, both the MoonJune Records website and John Etheridge's website very carefully use the "Soft Machine Legacy" name, although the RIO Festival website and the MySpace website it links to do not distinguish. Hopefully this isn't some sort of trend.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 04-23-2013 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Anyone knows if Kerman will play with Aranis?
    (Mabe Dave knows? :-P)
    As far as I know Dave is no longer with Aranis but will be playing with Present. I stand to be corrected.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Who? With Elton and Hugh both gone, and Ratledge not performing anymore.... Sure this isn't Soft Machine Legacy??? The clip attached to the listing is SML. There's a difference!

Interestingly, both the MoonJune Records website and John Etheridge's website very carefully use the "Soft Machine Legacy" name, although the RIO Festival website and the MySpace website it links to do not distinguish. Hopefully this isn't some sort of trend.
    It's Soft Machine Legacy, I was a bit surprised by the listing on the RIO sites.
    Ian