Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Atila- Beginning of the End- Any fans?

Atila- Beginning of the End- Any fans?

Hi folks,

I am playing Atila-Beginning of the End, and it is much better than I remembered (it has been ages since I played it). This album is like a live jammin' organ driven psych prog rock, but it works. The lack of structure makes it fun and interesting. The drummer is actually pretty good (the beginning of side B is awesome). If you like organ driven proto prog this is definitely for you. I think one of the reasons this album is so underrated is because the CD reissue on "Lost Vinyl" is one of the worst sounding reissues I have ever heard! It is absolutely awful. I am lucky that I scored an original LP many years ago, and it plays EX/EX+.

I know their later work is much better, but are there any fans of this album here? There might be later reissues that I am not aware of. I hope so because that Lost Vinyl one is dreadful.

yeah... as with Soft Machine Third and Sensations Fix Portable Madness, this is an excellent album of music with poor production.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    yeah... as with Soft Machine Third and Sensations Fix Portable Madness, this is an excellent album of music with poor production.
    It is very good indeed. Did anyone reissue it again since the terrible "Lost Vinyl" one?

I only ever really dug their third album. I even think their second one gets kinda sloppy after a strong start.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I only ever really dug their third album. I even think their second one gets kinda sloppy after a strong start.
    Wow, I need to revisit the second one tonight, but I remember it being great. I agree that "Reviure" was the best of all three though.
    Last edited by Romerovm; 04-10-2013 at 11:56 AM.

I reread your post, and the record does not sound bad. It is actually pretty decent IMO. The digital reissue is probably the worst I have ever heard though. Maybe you are thinking about the CD.

I only have the CD so I cant speak for the vinyl... I'd love to have the vinyl to do a proper digital remaster but I'm guessin it aint too easy to get
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I only have the CD so I cant speak for the vinyl... I'd love to have the vinyl to do a proper digital remaster but I'm guessin it aint too easy to get
    No unfortunately. Only a few hundred copies were pressed. It is not only hard to find, but really expensive. $1k + for one in decent condition.

I guess there is no later reissue since nobody has commented on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Romerovm View Post
    I guess there is no later reissue since nobody has commented on it.
    http://bit.ly/15499Mg

Wah Wah reissued it on vinyl in 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by Pr33t View Post
    http://bit.ly/15499Mg

Wah Wah reissued it on vinyl in 2005.
    Oh good! Have you had a chance to listen to it?

Oh good! Have you had a chance to listen to it?
    No, I've never checked it out. Most reviews made it seem far from essential listening. Though my interest has increased after your post

Quote Originally Posted by Pr33t View Post
    No, I've never checked it out. Most reviews made it seem far from essential listening. Though my interest has increased after your post
    If you find it cheap give it a shot. Start with Intencion and Reviure of course. I did a google and I know at least Intencion was reissued on the same label you provided. Get that one and Reviure first, and if you still have the Atila bug get the 1st one.

I had this one on CD at one point, but I think that I got rid of it (although it might be sitting in a stack of things to unload). I remember being pretty underwhelmed with it, especially after the greatness of Reviure. I'll have to check tonight when I get home to see if by chance it's still lurking around. You better not be misleading me Victor!

If you find it cheap give it a shot. Start with Intencion and Reviure of course. I did a google and I know at least Intencion was reissued on the same label you provided. Get that one and Reviure first, and if you still have the Atila bug get the 1st one.
    I've known those forever. Good tip to the uninitiated. Reviure is the real classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    I had this one on CD at one point, but I think that I got rid of it (although it might be sitting in a stack of things to unload). I remember being pretty underwhelmed with it, especially after the greatness of Reviure. I'll have to check tonight when I get home to see if by chance it's still lurking around. You better not be misleading me Victor!
    That's the thing Joe! If you play the CD you will be very underwhelmed and disappointed. It is so bad even the music sounds mediocre. Send me a PM if you want to hear it from vinyl and I can send you a CDR.

By the way I remember getting Reviure on vinyl back in the day when it was very rare and I burned a CDR that was the "to go" copy for a while for many of us here.

I agree about the second and third albums being awesome. My recollection of the debut is it was live and about 33% of it is a drum solo. Is that not right? As well, they re-recorded the best piece from the debut on "Intencion" - a far better rendition too.

Quote Originally Posted by ashratom View Post
    I agree about the second and third albums being awesome. My recollection of the debut is it was live and about 33% of it is a drum solo. Is that not right? As well, they re-recorded the best piece from the debut on "Intencion" - a far better rendition too.
    Pretty much Tom, but the debut has a more spontaneous feeling and sound (like a jam session), even though I agree with you that the best rendition is included in Intencion. Hopefully you have heard the record (at least the Wah Wah reissue) because the CD really diminishes a good album. I think we all agree that it is not great, but good enough (IMO) that I felt compelled to start a thread.

I found Wah Wah reissues for the first two, but nothing for Reviure on vinyl. It would suck if they left the best one in the chopping block.

That's the thing Joe! If you play the CD you will be very underwhelmed and disappointed. It is so bad even the music sounds mediocre. Send me a PM if you want to hear it from vinyl and I can send you a CDR.
    Ha! I still have the CD. It was at the bottom of pile. It's had to have been there for 10-12 years!

Unfortunately Reviure has never been reissued legitimately (plenty of pirate editions though). The band even re-recorded it in 1999 to help alleviate the issue, but it's a pretty pale imitation. Apparently it's a label/legal issue with EMI/Odeon.

Victor - I think I've only heard the crappy Lost Vinyl version of the debut.. so that certainly didn't help my impression. I will say, though, that my tolerance for lengthy drum solos is really low

Quote Originally Posted by ashratom View Post
    Unfortunately Reviure has never been reissued legitimately (plenty of pirate editions though). The band even re-recorded it in 1999 to help alleviate the issue, but it's a pretty pale imitation. Apparently it's a label/legal issue with EMI/Odeon.

Victor - I think I've only heard the crappy Lost Vinyl version of the debut.. so that certainly didn't help my impression. I will say, though, that my tolerance for lengthy drum solos is really low
    LOL. I hear ya, but it is not that long. A few minutes only, Definitely shorter than Moby Dick who gets on my nerves!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    Ha! I still have the CD. It was at the bottom of pile. It's had to have been there for 10-12 years!
    Hey, if you hate it blame it on the crappy CD sound quality. It is really damn awful.

I must say that the sound of the LP is vastly superior to the Lost Vinyl CD

I couldn't have done much with the muddy CD but the CDR of the vinyl I'm getting good results from...

Victor, if you are seeing this, perhaps you can critique the two digital remastered versions I sent you...