Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Best Album Covers of All Time

I do too. Are the Moon Maids on that ship?

Random:
    King crimson-In the court
    Arena-The Visitor
    Marillion-This strange engine
    Collage-Moonshine
    IQ-Are you sitting confortably?

Octavarium - Dream Theater
    An amazing concept album with a great cover that goes with the concept.

From my latest obsession, Hiroko Taniyama:

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Tales.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    I like ours

Attachment 1484
    While I like the cover I like the album better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for resurrecting this thread. I'll throw in a few I don't recall seeing: Saga Images at Twilight, Kansas Point of Know Return, King Crimson ITCOTCK, Nektar Remember the Future, Zappa 200 Motels.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Pink Floyd: "Wish You Were Here" the flaming guy shaking hands with the other dude in the suit!
    Some years back, they made a documentary about the making of that album, including the artwork. One of the people interviewed was the the stuntman who was set on fire for that photo shoot! Yes, they actually set the guy on fire, that's not...well, obviously Photoshop didn't exist back then, but today, you'd look at an image like that and say "That's Photoshopped!".

Anyway, the guy explained how he wore this flame retardant suit under the outer clothes, so he's wearing like three layers of clothes or something lke that, and they basically touched with a torch in like three or four places, then they took the photos. Then, at some point, the wind shifted, and the flames started blowing in his face, and that ended the photo shoot, and they hit him with a fire extinguisher. I think he said the whoel thing took something like 20 seconds!

The image I actually find interesting is the guy doing the handstand in Mono Lake on the lyric sheet. That's another one that looks like it "has" to be Photoshopped but it isn't. Apparently, the guy had to hold his breath, until the ripples dissipated, which was when Aubrey Powell took the photo we see there.

Tales From Topographic Oceans
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Tales From Topographic Oceans
    Sunburst Finish by Be Bop Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Some years back, they made a documentary about the making of that album, including the artwork. One of the people interviewed was the the stuntman who was set on fire for that photo shoot! Yes, they actually set the guy on fire, that's not...well, obviously Photoshop didn't exist back then, but today, you'd look at an image like that and say "That's Photoshopped!".

Anyway, the guy explained how he wore this flame retardant suit under the outer clothes, so he's wearing like three layers of clothes or something lke that, and they basically touched with a torch in like three or four places, then they took the photos. Then, at some point, the wind shifted, and the flames started blowing in his face, and that ended the photo shoot, and they hit him with a fire extinguisher. I think he said the whoel thing took something like 20 seconds!

The image I actually find interesting is the guy doing the handstand in Mono Lake on the lyric sheet. That's another one that looks like it "has" to be Photoshopped but it isn't. Apparently, the guy had to hold his breath, until the ripples dissipated, which was when Aubrey Powell took the photo we see there.
    I guess the days are gone for any of these Hipgnosis covers where they went to extreme lengths - the hospital beds on A Momentary Lapse of Reason, for example.

Not a Hipgnosis cover but the same crazy - lugging a grand piano outside in the snow for Supertramp's Even in the Quietest Moments.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post

That's a great story. I am not a Hipgnosis fan in general but it is an iconic cover, and I have a newfound respect for the cover now. When you think about it, how else would they have done it back then? But I never thought about it. Until now.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    lugging a grand piano outside in the snow for Supertramp's Even in the Quietest Moments.
    They hauled the grand piano out in November and took the picture in December.

Rush - Power WindowsRush_Power_Windows.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    They hauled the grand piano out in November and took the picture in December.
    I hope it was a broken, unusable piano!

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    I guess the days are gone for any of these Hipgnosis covers where they went to extreme lengths - the hospital beds on A Momentary Lapse of Reason, for example.

Not a Hipgnosis cover but the same crazy - lugging a grand piano outside in the snow for Supertramp's Even in the Quietest Moments.
    they probably took more care and thoughts in the artwork of the cover than about the contents of the disc inside the sleeve.

As for Quietest Moments, this was taken in Aspen ski station (if memory serves), so they probably wheeled out a second-rate piano out of a hotel and put it at the edge of a cliff and waited for the snow to fall on it.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    That's a great story. I am not a Hipgnosis fan in general but it is an iconic cover, and I have a newfound respect for the cover now. When you think about it, how else would they have done it back then? But I never thought about it. Until now.
    Well, isn't that photo taken on some Hollywood studio grounds (those white warehouse buildings certainly look like it), where stuntmen did this kind of stuff every second day??

What I really like about WYWH is the way the white frames are all subject (the four elements) to being damaged (burn marks, wind distortion, water leak and sand seeping though the crack)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    As for Quietest Moments, this was taken in Aspen ski station (if memory serves), so they probably wheeled out a second-rate piano out of a hotel and put it at the edge of a cliff and waited for the snow to fall on it.
    I totally thought it was some of that hyper-real airbrush work à la Shusei Nagaoka (whose work belongs here!). The 70s were a weird time for album covers, because you got airbrush artwork trying hard to look photographic, and photo artwork trying to look artificial.

Banned
    Off the top of my head: 10 album-jacketts with illustrations and 10 with the photo-works:

Fantasy - 'Paint A Picture'
    King Crimson - 'A Young Person's Guide to King Crimson'
    Genesis - 'Trespass'
    Genesis - 'A Trick of the Tail'
    Gentle Giant - 'Gentle Giant'
    Van Der Graaf Generator - 'Pawn Hearts'
    Greenslade - 'Bedside Manners Are Extra'
    Yes -'Fragile'
    Jon Anderson - 'Olias of Sunhillow'
    Return To Forever - 'Romantic Warrior'

Pink Floyd - 'Animals'
    Mike Oldfield - 'Tubular Bells'
    Fripp & Eno - '(No Pussyfooting)'
    Family - 'Music in a Doll's House'
    The Nice - 'Elegy'
    Steve Hillage - 'L'
    Genesis - 'Live'
    Peter Gabriel - "Wet Car"
    Jethro Tull - 'Bursting Out'
    Smak - 'Black Lady'

Quote Originally Posted by Juba View Post
    Family - 'Music in a Doll's House'
    Hey Svetonio,

in the same genre, I much prefer Cale & Riley's Church Of Anthrax

R-4901513-1378913226-1750_jpeg.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Banned
    Hey Svetonio,

in the same genre, I much prefer Cale & Riley's Church Of Anthrax

R-4901513-1378913226-1750_jpeg.jpg
    Nah. Imo, 'Music In a Doll's House' has that "warm" atmosphere which 'Church of Anthrax' doesn't have.

P.S. I'm not Sventionio but you can to call me like that if it makes you feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by srtd4 View Post
    One of my faves is the Ambrosia Cover for "Somewhere I've Never Traveled"
    with the fold out Pyramid.
    Classic !

Scott
    Ambrosia_Cover.jpg

What I really like about WYWH is the way the white frames are all subject (the four elements) to being damaged (burn marks, wind distortion, water leak and sand seeping though the crack)

Never realized this. Mind=blown
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    There are many being mentioned here that I'm like, huh? Covers that don't do much for me. But this is a good one.