Thread: Three Friends @ Baja...

Three Friends @ Baja...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I watched until the view from the phone camera was blocked by another phone camera. F-ing phone cameras.

WOW!!! Best performance at BajaProg this year. They were so together and so very close to a perfect show. At one point I thought I heard a struggle with the vocals but that slight lag quickly faded and from there on it seemed that every note, pitch, harmony, and beat was spot on. I have to rate this set at the top of my top 5 performances. #2 would be Jobson at Baja; a superb showing slightly better than NF12 which I'll rate at #3. #4 would be Crimson Project at Baja. I had forgotten how much I love Belew - he knocks me out. The Power Trio was loud, fast, blazing fun, and I was delighted to see Mr. Belew live again. #5 Hackett at Baja. I heard part of the band took ill, thus there were a few misses, but that didn't take away from the thrill of seeing classic rock played by a classic talent.

I am so thankful for this fabulous showing of freaking amazing talent. Viva Mexico and BajaProg.

Karen

Lee Pomeroy told me, he regards Ray Shulman as the best Bassist in "Prog" history.
    He was preaching to the choir ^-^

Yeah, "Three Friends" kicked ass.
    was disappointed with KCP, however. They knocked at least 25% of the audience out into the lobby.

Glad that Baja is back.

paul.

Quote Originally Posted by busker View Post
    was disappointed with KCP, however. They knocked at least 25% of the audience out into the lobby.

paul.
    What was disappointing abou them? They are great players...

Does anyone know why 3 Friends play so few and such scattered gigs ? Have the Shulmans threatened to stop them if it gets too serious or do they just prefer to keep it at "hobby" level ? As far as I am aware they are based in Sussex, yet they have never played London just 50 miles away where, I am sure, a goodly sized crowd would await them.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    What was disappointing abou them? They are great players...
    I'll tell you what my problem with them were.

1. They were WAY TOO F'N LOUD!
    2. The Sitckmen set was OK, but they were a bit sloppy. Reuter was a 'one trick pony', same tone and technique for the entire show.
    3. Belew's set was musically uninteresting to me. And his guitar tone was harsh, annoying and whiney. He used to sound so good when he played Strats.
    4. KCP was not much better. I'm a big fan of the "double trio" KC, but I kept asking myself why they had 2 drummers. They were sloppy.
    5. Did I mention it was way to f'n loud?

I stayed for the entire Stickmen set. I bailed to the lobby for the Belew set. I stayed in the lobby for most of the KCP set. It was even loud in the lobby. I had no problems hearing their entire set. I was wearing earplugs for their entire set.

I LOVED the Three Friends set! They were better than I expected, and I was expecting a lot.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Forester1 View Post
    Does anyone know why 3 Friends play so few and such scattered gigs ? Have the Shulmans threatened to stop them if it gets too serious or do they just prefer to keep it at "hobby" level ? As far as I am aware they are based in Sussex, yet they have never played London just 50 miles away where, I am sure, a goodly sized crowd would await them.
    Many of the members are professional musicians and play in other bands that probably pay more money. 3F is basically a labour of love. Malcolm lives in Sussex, and that's where the rehearsing is done. As you say, they haven't played London, but they have played in a few shows in Sussex, only a train ride from London.

Gary G. lives in Illinois, which, iirc, does not border the UK, so practices are infrequent. As Dave said, the younger musicians have other bands, sessions etc..

The Shulmans aren't overly enamored of the fact that 3F gigs at all, and probably are even more upset at how good they are.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Gary G. lives in Illinois, which, iirc, does not border the UK, so practices are infrequent. As Dave said, the younger musicians have other bands, sessions etc..

The Shulmans aren't overly enamored of the fact that 3F gigs at all, and probably are even more upset at how good they are.
    Shulman singular...more to the point, Derek. As long as Kerry is not a part of 3F, it won't be a problem.

Dave Sr.