Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High-Quality Portable CD Players?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

High-Quality Portable CD Players?

First of all, before anyone posts saying "who still actually plays CDs," bite me! I have probably four thousand CDs (I lost count long ago), and not enough time to rip something and copy it to a USB drive every time I want to listen to something. I often listen to music in bed, and I have no sound system there, so I'm using a really crappy RCA portable CD player when I want to listen to something that I haven't copied to my phone. I used to have a better portable CD player but lost it.

So, anyone know of one that's well built, has the Resume feature, etc? The one I'm using now doesn't even have Resume, which really sucks when stopping in the middle of a long track, like the 40-minute track on the new Klaus Schulze CD! I know this technology's on the way out, but since they're still selling CDs, decent CD players ought to be available. And yes, I know DVD players/Blu-Ray Players/PS3 units, etc can play CDs - but those are nowhere near my bed!

Thanks!

Banned
    This is just one example of what's out there. You might want to also consider a small boom-box type player that will also support mp3.

http://www.amazon.com/Bose-PM-1-Port.../dp/B000AMZC1K

I'm right there with you, I have 3,211 titles on 4,027 discs in my CATraxx database plus a bunch of others not "worthy" of databasing (my kid's CD's, etc.). The last thing I do each night before going to sleep is listen to some music with Skullcandy Ink'd earbuds and my Sony D-842K Car Discman similar to this one
    http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Discman-C...ny+car+discman
    I bought it and another Sony Discman D-EJ109 like this
    http://www.amazon.com/Sony-D-EJ109-P...s=sony+d-ej109
    at a yard sale 6 or 7 years ago for $5 each. Both have resume and both play CD-R's but the second one during quiet passages has a background of soft static-y distortion so I don't use it much.
    The D-842K Car Discman doesn't have the distortion and, being a Car Discman, the display is backlit so you can see what track you're on in the dark. I have it connected to an AC adaptor but it runs on 2 AA batteries also.
    I can't speak to current offerings, I'd check yard sales, pawn shops, Craigslist, etc. to look for a bargain.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    This is just one example of what's out there. You might want to also consider a boom-box
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Wow. Is that a chick or a dude? Or is it Geddy Lee with a man-purse?

This is just before the horrible accident...

I have a DiscMan that's only been played once. If anyone's interested, they can have it at a very good price.

I've got a ton of CD's.....literally, A ton, or more...--I know this, because I just carried them down from my living room to my newly-constructed mancave. After the 12th or 13th trip up and down the stairs, I was starting to question my continued fondness for physical media.

I have a Sony Discman, Model D-SJ301, it's more than a decade old and I've never had a problem with it. I use it at work, on occasion, when I want to listen to a CD instead of my omnipresent iPod or iPhone.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Portable-.../dp/B00005T3C2

I've used one of these for years now with never an issue - but replaced the painful headset with a nice pair of earbudz. The unit is VERY forgiving to bumps and jostles - not to mention the odd rainstorm.

It still remains in my arsenal for parties and DJ events, just in case somebody shows up with a disc . . . running through my mixer with the appropriate adapter cabling.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    And yes, I know DVD players/Blu-Ray Players/PS3 units, etc can play CDs - but those are nowhere near my bed!
    Alarm clocks with CD players have existed for years.

Wow. Is that a chick or a dude? Or is it XYZ with a man-purse?

That was my thought as well

=============

My old Phillips Discman (won in a lottery) still function well... And I had to use it last week-end too, coz my car stereo was somehow blocked (actually the fuse had blown and I didn't have a spare
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    After the 12th or 13th trip up and down the stairs, I was starting to question my continued fondness for physical media.
    Been through this before, additionally with vinyls. Be patient, the pleasure of having them displayed in their new place and then sit and listen to the first gem you'll lay your hands on will reward any strain...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I've been on the look out for a one good, too. I like to listen to books on CD I get from the library while walking. Indeed, it's a pain to bring the disc home, download it to the Mac, then upload it to an iPod, then go back out for the walk. I'd rather go the library, pop the disc in, and go. I've bought a couple portable CD players at yard sales and thrift stores, but they've not lasted long. I'll check out the ones mentioned here.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Alarm clocks with CD players have existed for years.
    But theyre friggin huge for some reason. I want something portable for travel, etc.

That guy and Luther (David Patrick Kelly), the leader of the Rogues...separated at birth?

But theyre friggin huge for some reason. I want something portable for travel, etc.
    Get yourself a portable dvd player that has headphones. That way you can listen to cds or watch dvds.

Go to Amazon and search for "portable CD player." There are many options in the under-$25 range.

There are Sony and Bose models that cost considerably more, if spending more for one is what you're after.

Get yourself a portable dvd player that has headphones. That way you can listen to cds or watch dvds.
    They've become quite rare... I tried to replace my Panasonic and found that only crap brands make them nowadays

And TBH, unlike Discman, I think that these portable DVD players are not portable.... just easily displaced and transported.... but playing a DVD while moving around is near impossible.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    They've become quite rare... I tried to replace my Panasonic and found that only crap brands make them nowadays

And TBH, unlike Discman, I think that these portable DVD players are not portable.... just easily displaced and transported.... but playing a DVD while moving around is near impossible.
    I got a Mintek from Costco a couple years ago. I bought that one because it had the biggest screen, now they are out of business. I had to take it back and replace it three times before I finally got one that some part didn't break within thirty days. The worst thing was a different thing broke every time.

I got a Mintek from Costco a couple years ago. I bought that one because it had the biggest screen, now they are out of business. I had to take it back and replace it three times before I finally got one that some part didn't break within thirty days. The worst thing was a different thing broke every time.
    Thanks Ed, Cotsco's name is now definitely engraved in the granite of my brains's left side.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    3 1/2 years later and you're still looking? Hang in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    3 1/2 years later and you're still looking? Hang in there.
    Hey I'm still looking for a suitable dashcam >> can't remember when I opened that thread in here.

i bought this guy over 20 yrs ago..

sl-xp2

still have it and still works. plus the label surrounding the readout has 'resume' printed on it so i assume it has that feature you're looking for. couldn't bring myself to get rid of it because i always liked the quality and the features.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    The only non-boombox battery powered CD player I ever bought was a Sharper Image AM/FM/CD Shower Companion. I think it was 15-20 years ago.
    If you use the CD player on battery power, you get about a half hour of playing time before it wears the battery down to the point where it'll only work for radio.
    Plugging it in doesn't really work out too well in the shower. I still use the radio every day. Actually, I didn't buy it, it was a present.

I love the Sony Psyc series (link below) - it handles mp3's, has the resume function, display that shows total disc time and how much time left in a particular track, and operates on 1 battery. No longer manufactured, so you have to pick up second hand, but I've found them to be very durable (5+ years on day-long trips to Princeton Record Exchange).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Peter