Thread: Il Castello di Atlante and Heliopolis Mexicali Prog 5-11-13

Jefferson James

Il Castello di Atlante and Heliopolis Mexicali Prog 5-11-13

We're very excited to be playing a show with Italy's fantastic Il Castello di Atlante at MEXICALI PROG Saturday, May 11, 2013. We'll be debuting brand-new material, changing-up some older songs, and bringing our best
    to the good people of Mexicali. Details:

Man, oh, man, I wish I could make this one, Kerry, but my job is too new and May 11 is too soon. Have a blast, and enjoy the border crossing strip search!
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

Jefferson James
    LOL, thanks, Mel. Unfortunately our dear friend and lead vocalist Scott Jones had to take an emergency trip back east to take care of his Dad who is critically ill. Understandably this means Scott will not be joining Heliopolis at Mexicali Prog this weekend; Scott has generously given us his blessings to move forward and lead vocals will be handled by Matt and me -- the show will go on. Positive thoughts and prayers are most appreciated and it goes without saying we will be dedicating this performance to Scott and his Dad.

I sent Scott my thoughts via Facebook. I'm sure you and Matt can both sing your way out of Sing Sing!

Just back from Rosfest. Kicketh bootay, KC!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Jefferson James
    Thanks, ya'll. Scott's hanging in there, the band is well-rehearsed, we've got all the vocals sorted and I do believe we are ready to kick some culo. Should be fun. On the off-chance any PE members are there, you know me, girl! Hit me up.

Last edited by Jefferson James; 05-10-2013 at 12:53 PM.

Any video of the show?

Jefferson James
    Mel! The promoter told me there is some video waiting to be uploaded, whenever I get notice I will let you know. Meanwhile I did a little hand-held phone-camera video, more of a roadtrip thing.

Awesome, Kerry! I love the big green machine! I loved the road trip clip you did with Mars Hollow a couple years ago when you guys went to Mexico. I'm glad you had fun this time, too.

Jefferson James
    We had a blast, Mel, as always -- there is something very cool about Mexicali (definitely not the weather!). Still waiting on a video to be posted; the guy said he'd post it last weekend but I haven't heard hide nor hair from him since LOL.

Got a local gig coming up July 5th, come on down! Just kidding of course. One day, Portland!

http://heliopolislaprog.wix.com/heli...ing-shows/c6f5

Be well Mel...

I can probably come down in the fall. I miss L.A.!

Jefferson James
    LA misses you, Mel. It's looking like we will be playing another gig with The Running Jumps on Friday, October 11; their excellent new album is streaming here if anyone is interested. I love their songwriting, lots of little corner-windows and left-turns while maintaining a poppy accessibility.

As I mentioned earlier, the guy from Mexicali -- Jorge of Fotomail Imagen Que Llega -- posted a couple of clips; we were without our lead vocalist for this show but he's back and ready to roll so all good.

This is the end of "New Frontier" and the beginning of our Mars Hollow cover of "In Your Hands":

This is a clip from a new song called "Take a Moment":

We're really excited about our recording session over Memorial Day weekend; we got drums and bass completed for 40+ minutes of music and the rough mixes from that day sound great to my ears; we've started guitar and keyboard overdubs and things are moving pretty quickly. We have two more songs to record in July and then we can start wrapping things up, if we're lucky the album will be finished by end of summer if we work hard and diligently. Here's a short video from the session:

Other than that, we're playing with a couple of tribute bands on July 5th -- Caress of Steel, Maiden LA, and us:

Should be a fun show, wish you could make it, Mel.

They are making us work on Friday, July 5, can you believe it? :-( Plus, I will have family in town... or rather, at the beach. (Seaside, Oregon) I have to drive back and forth several times, 2 1/2 hours each way because I have to go back to work for one stinking day. *pout* *whine*

Anyhoo, if I don't see you guys this summer, I can definitely try a mini-vacay in October.