Thread: BAJA PROG DAY ONE THREAD

BAJA PROG DAY ONE THREAD

Can we have some reviews of the first day bands?

Introvision

Panzerballet

Locanda Delle Fate

Hackett
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I missed Introvision; heard they were good

Panzerballet were playing when I arrived and I caught their last full tune, a Simpson's Theme send-up. No Keyboards, 2 Guitars, Sax and Rock rhythms with a little Avant Fusion twist. Not exactly my cuppa, but they were tight.

Locanda killed! sounded just like the CD

Hackett was great even though it was 100% Genesis tunes and I'm not a big Genesis fan, if you closed your eyes you would have sworn they were playing the albums over the sound system! If you opened your eyes you would see a 7 foot tall guy with Robert Plant's head circa 72 sounding like he stole Gabriel's vocal chords. The Keys, Bass and Drums were every bit as great as they are on SEBTP, Lamb and Trick. Great show!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post

If you opened your eyes you would see a 7 foot tall guy with Robert Plant's head circa 72 sounding like he stole Gabriel's vocal chords.
    Good description! I think that was Nad Sylvan, who made a Genesis album not recorded by Genesis called "Unifaun", and also was/is the frontman in Agents Of Mercy w/Stolt & Reingold of TFK etc..
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I'll hafta put a clip up of the Locanda show. Got the whole thing on video

I missed Introvision. It took us a while to cross the boarder since we had a trailer filled with 3 Mellotrons (used by Anglagard), a Clavinet (used by Three Friends), and other various devices and required some inspection.

Panzerballett - I love these guys and their style of complex, metal-fusion. Incredible musicianship by all members. Their set the night before at The Baked Potato in LA was tighter, but the Baja set was great nonetheless.

Locanda della Fate - Despite having a major case of jetlag, they pulled off a great set. Very emotional Italian prog. Their lead vocalist was probably the best singer at the festival. They surpassed my expectations.

Hackett - A predictably excellent performance. Nad Sylvan, despite just getting over a cold, sang great. Hackett is playing better than ever. I just wonder how many more times I need to see Genesis' music performed live.
    Last edited by simon moon; 04-09-2013 at 01:58 PM.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell