Thread: Rival Sons:Head Down

Banned

Rival Sons:Head Down

I got this CD for $9.99 at Best Buy the other day. I had seen them perform Keep On Swinging on Jimmy Kimmel Live recently. It's a rockin' little tune. I had also seen their performance at one of High Voltage festivals as televised on VH1 Classic. I had wanted to get their CD, Pressure & Time, because the cover was designed by Storm Thorgerson. However, I could not find it in any store. So, I opted for Head Down(based on the Kimmel performance I had seen). Also, Head Down was released on Century Media(who have recently gained Queensryche as a client). I have only listened to the CD once, but I love it. Manifest Destiny is a two part song with a total playing time of about twelve minutes. This band is like a combination of The Rolling Stones, Free, Bad Company, and Led Zepplin, their singer is like a mix of Plant and Rogers, and their guitarist is like the second coming of Jimmy Page and Paul Kossoff. Has anyone heard this album? If so, what do you think of it? Sorry if there's another thread on this subject. Tried for find an existing thread, but a search came up empty. I was hoping for a Rival Sons thread, because I had seen one on the old PE. So, I decided to start one myself. Wish there were more bands like this around today.

I only have their debut album, but it is killer. These guys are great and I want to pick up more of their stuff. I keep hoping they play live around my area one of these days.

Love the single from their first album:

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I only have their debut album, but it is killer. These guys are great and I want to pick up more of their stuff. I keep hoping they play live around my area one of these days.

Love the single from their first album:

Pressure And Time is actually their second album. Their first album was Before The Fire.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Pressure And Time is actually their second album. Their first album was Before The Fire.
    Oops.....you are correct.

Steve Sly

FYE of course didn't have this in stock, had no idea what it was when I asked for it, and when I said I heard Best Buy had it on sale, the guy at FYE just shrugged his shoulders and said 'well I can probably special order it for you..."

Useless.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sotdude View Post
    FYE of course didn't have this in stock, had no idea what it was when I asked for it, and when I said I heard Best Buy had it on sale, the guy at FYE just shrugged his shoulders and said 'well I can probably special order it for you..."

Useless.
    Just go down to Best Buy and grab a copy. You can't go wrong for $9.99.

Just heard them for the 1st time today at a buddy's suggestion. Liked it. My 1st thought was Zeppelin meets Bad Co. & lo & behold, that's what I read about them. They also remind me of The Answer. They were the new retro classic rock darlings for a while a few years back & have since practically vanished.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Just heard them for the 1st time today at a buddy's suggestion. Liked it. My 1st thought was Zeppelin meets Bad Co. & lo & behold, that's what I read about them. They also remind me of The Answer. They were the new retro classic rock darlings for a while a few years back & have since practically vanished.
    I would agree that they are similar to The Answer, but I think maybe I like them better. I have all of The Answer’s albums, and I like them, but Rival Sons seems to have a certain……..not really sure what, but I think their songwriting is a bit better. Both are quality bands for anyone who likes modern classic rock.

Steve Sly

Banned
    I haven't heard their previous two releases. It seems Rival Sons incorporated some r&B, soul, and gospel influences into Head Down. Are these influences also on their previous releases?

My current favourite band by a long way. Saw them live again last night and they get better and better

I have to say I find them nothing whatsoever like The Answer

As for the influences incorporated into Head Down then they have taken them further on this record for sure

I did an interview with Scott Holiday a few months back which came out well I thought... http://www.seaoftranquility.org/article.php?sid=2308

cheers
    Permission To Rock - Volume One
    https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/247182
    featuring Barclay James Harvest, Fish, Marillion, Beardfish, Yes + more

Banned
    I was just on Sea Of Tranquility, and saw that they finally got around to reviewing Head Down. They give it five stars. Score one for modern retro rock.

Unfortunately I did not end up going to the show. I got stuck at work and could not get out on time. I hope to get to see them one of these days. I still think the new album is great.

Steve Sly

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Just go down to Best Buy and grab a copy. You can't go wrong for $9.99.
    Would like to, but checked BB's website and the nearest store that stocks the album is over 100 miles away in another state. It's not always easy. $9.99 becomes $90 when added to the cost of a tank of gas. Yes, we pay higher than the national average for gas. Yes, my vehicle is a gas hog, but my legs don't fit in little cars. And yes, the Sierra Nevada is a steep hill. So if I get the album at all, it won't be at best buy.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Would like to, but checked BB's website and the nearest store that stocks the album is over 100 miles away in another state. It's not always easy. $9.99 becomes $90 when added to the cost of a tank of gas. Yes, we pay higher than the national average for gas. Yes, my vehicle is a gas hog, but my legs don't fit in little cars. And yes, the Sierra Nevada is a steep hill. So if I get the album at all, it won't be at best buy.
    I was talking to sotdude. For you, I suggest Amazon.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I was talking to sotdude. For you, I suggest Amazon.
    I wasn't asking for suggestions. And this is a message board. Posts are read by everyone. You want to talk to one person, I suggest you PM him. My post was not intended only for you, but you are free to read it and comment on it. You had already mentioned the store and the album price twice. I figured it was open for discussion. But thanks for your suggestion. I'm sure it was intended to be helpful, and I appreciate your kindness. I also appreciate your starting a thread about a band I have not heard but might be interested in. I don't have time to investigate every band out there. So this thread is useful to me, and I will look into the Rival Sons music tomorrow. Also good to know there is someone else who does a search before starting a thread on a subject.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I wasn't asking for suggestions. And this is a message board. Posts are read by everyone. You want to talk to one person, I suggest you PM him. My post was not intended only for you, but you are free to read it and comment on it. You had already mentioned the store and the album price twice. I figured it was open for discussion. But thanks for your suggestion. I'm sure it was intended to be helpful, and I appreciate your kindness. I also appreciate your starting a thread about a band I have not heard but might be interested in. I don't have time to investigate every band out there. So this thread is useful to me, and I will look into the Rival Sons music tomorrow. Also good to know there is someone else who does a search before starting a thread on a subject.
    Your last post just seemed a little harsh. I was merely helping someone that said they went to a retailer(FYE), and said that they didn't have the CD. So, I suggested Best Buy, because that's where I found my copy. I do searches on thread, because I don't want to start a competing thread and steal someone else's thunder. I did see a Rival Sons thread on the old board, but not on this one. So, I started one, because the previous discussion peaked my interest.

Huh. Never heard of these guys before. Video was pretty damn cool.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    A favorite of mine, for obvious reasons.