Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nick Beggs

[QUOTE=iguana;644139]he is, actually.

I'm guessing that was meant to be a compliment? But the actual truth is he ain't resting on past successes. I read in interview where he stated he was pretty much washed up, out of work, depressed. He fought his way back to where he is now. He's uber gifted, a brilliant player, great stage presence, lyricist, vocalist, he's got it all. And he's a much in demand instrumentalist now. He's worked his ass off, and good on 'im, it shows. I honestly think Do Nothing outshines some of Wilsons current work, its a killer album. And i LOVE Wilson.

[QUOTE=gpeccary;644344]
    Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    he is, actually.
    I'm guessing that was meant to be a compliment?
    yep, entirely compimentary. he has the liberty to do both preserve a heritage and to push boundaries. that is some achievement – and these latter-day KAJA/GOOGOO tracks with him as lead vocalist (post-limahl) were actually as ballsy as 80’s synth-funk-pop could get. top bloke.

I guess I was a Nick Beggs early adopter. Back in high school, I really liked the debut Kajagoogoo album but I was more than happy to hold on for the ride as their second album emerged, sans Limahl and with Beggs taking over the lead vocal spot. That album, Islands, is a true '80's gem. The third album, less so, but still a nice listen here and there.

Fast forward to 2008. I was absolutely shocked to hear of a new Kajagoogoo album (Gone To The Moon) with Beggs at the helm, even more shocked that they were giving it away as a free download. While I don't recall my exact album ranking for that year, I know that both Gone To The Moon and SW's Insurgentes were in my top 5 and that Kajagoogoo ranked higher in my world.

One reason this may have been a freebie is because the release was right on top of a full Kajagoogoo reunion with Limahl returning on vocals. The result was an ep called Death Defying Headlines and I remember that a US tour was to follow (a venue within about a half-hour of where I live was already announcing the show). I don't recall the story from here but the whole thing somehow fell through.

All that said, I am beyond stoked that Beggs has become one of the go-to bass/stick players on the planet as he currently plays with some of my favorite artists. Even more stoked for The Mute Gods, that he is able to front his own project once again while carrying on with all of his other high profile gigs. Perhaps someday we'll be able to see him on a SW tour where The Mute Gods are the opener.

A couple other notes...

• I recall reading a list of the artists with whom Beggs has recorded and/or performed live with, it was extraordinary (edit, found it on his website, pasted below...)
    • He was actually a full-fledged member of Iona for two albums, The Book Of Kells (picture of the back cover below) & Beyond These Shores.

Nick has also recorded and toured with the following artists…

ABC
    Alphaville
    Art Nouveau
    Belinda Carlisle
    Celtus
    China Crisis
    Cliff Richard
    Curiosity Killed The Cat
    D:Ream
    Dr. Richard Niles
    David Arnold
    Ellis, Beggs & Howard
    Engelbert Humperdinck
    Fish on Friday
    Gary Numan
    Go West
    Howard Jones
    Helen Shapiro
    Iona
    John Paul Jones
    Kajagoogoo
    Kim Wilde
    Maddy Prior
    Mark Shaw
    Michael Bolton
    Midge Ure
    Nena
    Nick Heyward
    Nik Kershaw
    Polysics
    Rick Wakeman
    Right Said Fred
    Seal
    Steve Hackett
    Steve Howe
    Steven Wilson
    T’Pau
    Terl Bryant
    Then Jerico
    Tony Hadley
    Toyah Willcox
    Warren Cuccurullo
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by spotprog; 11-30-2016 at 09:07 AM.

[QUOTE=iguana;644455]
    Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post

yep, entirely compimentary. he has the liberty to do both preserve a heritage and to push boundaries. that is some achievement – and these latter-day KAJA/GOOGOO tracks with him as lead vocalist (post-limahl) were actually as ballsy as 80’s synth-funk-pop could get. top bloke.
    Thought so

Quote Originally Posted by spotprog View Post
    I guess I was a Nick Beggs early adopter. Back in high school, I really liked the debut Kajagoogoo album but I was more than happy to hold on for the ride as their second album emerged, sans Limahl and with Beggs taking over the lead vocal spot. That album, Islands, is a true '80's gem. The third album, less so, but still a nice listen here and there.

Fast forward to 2008. I was absolutely shocked to hear of a new Kajagoogoo album (Gone To The Moon) with Beggs at the helm, even more shocked that they were giving it away as a free download. While I don't recall my exact album ranking for that year, I know that both Gone To The Moon and SW's Insurgentes were in my top 5 and that Kajagoogoo ranked higher in my world.

One reason this may have been a freebie is because the release was right on top of a full Kajagoogoo reunion with Limahl returning on vocals. The result was an ep called Death Defying Headlines and I remember that a US tour was to follow (a venue within about a half-hour of where I live was already announcing the show). I don't recall the story from here but the whole thing somehow fell through.

All that said, I am beyond stoked that Beggs has become one of the go-to bass/stick players on the planet as he currently plays with some of my favorite artists. Even more stoked for The Mute Gods, that he is able to front his own project once again while carrying on with all of his other high profile gigs. Perhaps someday we'll be able to see him on a SW tour where The Mute Gods are the opener.

A couple other notes...

• I recall reading a list of the artists with whom Beggs has recorded and/or performed live with, it was extraordinary (edit, found it on his website, pasted below...)
    • He was actually a full-fledged member of Iona for two albums, The Book Of Kells (picture of the back cover below) & Beyond These Shores.

Nick has also recorded and toured with the following artists…

ABC
    Alphaville
    Art Nouveau
    Belinda Carlisle
    Celtus
    China Crisis
    Cliff Richard
    Curiosity Killed The Cat
    D:Ream
    Dr. Richard Niles
    David Arnold
    Ellis, Beggs & Howard
    Engelbert Humperdinck
    Fish on Friday
    Gary Numan
    Go West
    Howard Jones
    Helen Shapiro
    Iona
    John Paul Jones
    Kajagoogoo
    Kim Wilde
    Maddy Prior
    Mark Shaw
    Michael Bolton
    Midge Ure
    Nena
    Nick Heyward
    Nik Kershaw
    Polysics
    Rick Wakeman
    Right Said Fred
    Seal
    Steve Hackett
    Steve Howe
    Steven Wilson
    T’Pau
    Terl Bryant
    Then Jerico
    Tony Hadley
    Toyah Willcox
    Warren Cuccurullo
    A great post!
    Thank you!!

Beggs is super cool and obviously a huge talent. Got to see him with SW summer '15. I like the Mute Gods record, I just wish the drums sounded better. I know it's one of those "guys exchanging files from their own studios" records, and I think the drums may have suffered because of it.

gearHed289 wrote: "Beggs is super cool and obviously a huge talent."

........And he looks good in a skirt !
    (can't believe I'm writing that.....lol)

Quote Originally Posted by spotprog View Post
    (Gone To The Moon)
    I love that album, but I really need to go back and acquaint myself with the early Kajagoogoo albums and 1980's high school me can't believe I just said that. But I put Gone to the Moon on right alongside Mute Gods.

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    I actually thought they improved a good deal after Limahl left. OK, “Big Apple” sucked, but I liked their later singles, especially “The Lion’s Mouth.” Obviously the record-buying public disagreed with me, as each Kaja(googoo) single since “Big Apple” sold less than the one before.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...