Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Secret Menus

I used to have a cast-iron stomach-or so I thought.

2 ulcers, chronic reflux and IBS later...I have learned. Your (young) stomach isn't as cast-iron as you think!
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

In and Out Burger, ordered Animal Style, is the best fast food burger in the world, IMO.

And as for secret menus, y'all know about the Jamba Juice Gummi's? Red and white, I believe...??

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I never have any need to eat at Taco Bell. In Nevada and California, there are abundant taquerias where you can get better and more authentic Mexican food fast at reasonable prices. I don't know if this is still true, but I have made several trips north in the US in years past, and the further north you go, the less they seem to know about Mexican food. That's just in the West. I have not visited the Midwest or the East.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    I USED to have an iron stomache. Not anymore, so its a good thing I don't do fast food much theses days. I do have a favorite place, and for me it's too good to call fast food. It's called Mo's, and they do southwestern/mexican, basically burritos, nachos and other assorted similar fare. A lot of the items have funny pop culture inspired names, including a few Seinfeld references -such as the "low talker" and "Art Vandeleigh". Ingredients are always fresh, and they make them right in front of you, and you pick whatever you want. They have an awesome salsa bar, which is great for their own crunchy tortillas, which come free with every order. I could make a meal just on the chips and salsa. I don't always go for the burritos, in fact I prefer their rice bowls and taco salad, which still can have all the same ingredients. I always leave full, that is for sure. My bout with acid reflux and irregular heartbeat has kept me awat from Mo's for several months. Just horrible, I really miss the place. I'm eating so ridiculously healthy of late, I'm sick of it!
    You aren't familiar with Chipotle?

Taco Bell I'll have once or twice per year, usually when drunk, and usually in mass quantities that makes me regret that I went. I mean, this is a place that had to defend the beef content of their beef in court.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    And as for secret menus, y'all know about the Jamba Juice Gummi's? Red and white, I believe...??
    I did not know. I've not been in a Jamba Juice. But I just checked and we have one here. Something to try.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

What I love about McD's is their $1.00 ice tea with unlimited refills. I can sit there using free wi-fi and drinking lots of ice tea til the computer battery goes dead.

I love Chipotle! I used to eat there a lot when I lived in California five years ago. I kept getting "free" coupons for tacos there, so it became a habit, even without the coupons. I think I will scrape up a few dollars and go eat there in Portland today!

I'll be moving to Corvallis, Oregon next week and need to see what they have for restaurants there, especially as it's a "college town".
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

Love Chipotle and Qdoba - great stuff!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I never have any need to eat at Taco Bell. In Nevada and California, there are abundant taquerias where you can get better and more authentic Mexican food fast at reasonable prices. I don't know if this is still true, but I have made several trips north in the US in years past, and the further north you go, the less they seem to know about Mexican food. That's just in the West. I have not visited the Midwest or the East.
    It's not surprising, as there isn't a significant history of there being many Mexicans in the northeast.

For similar reasons, the better Polish food is in areas of the country where there are/were polish immigrants, better Indian food where there are people from India, and there is great Italian-American style food in the New York/New Jersey/Connecticut area, because that's where so many of them lived upon moving to America.

There are some good Mexican places in the North East, but you have to look hard for them. The now semi-famous Shell station Mexican take-out stop near Baltimore, Maryland (R&R, which literally is a food counter that shares space inside a Shell gas station on Route 1) for example, is a real-deal mexican street food/tacqueria kind of place. It would not rank among the best comparable stuff in southern california, but it is at least the real thing and has those authentic flavors that are so hard to come by outside the US southwest. I ate at a hole-in-the-wall place somewhere in central New Jersey once that was about as good, but I forget what it was called. NYC has a number of these kinds of places, especially in the last 10 years or so; mostly in the outer boros, though, which is why NYC has maintained its poor reputation for mexican food despite there being improvements. Manhattan itself only has a few places of note and plenty that are not good at all, but Brooklyn and Queens do have their share of carts and taquerias that are pretty good. Again, nothing that would compare with the very best of SoCal, but a few that I contend would at least be considered good even if they were in SoCal.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    It's not that hard to be better than McDonald's.
    But it's hard to be a LITTLE better.

We only go to McDonald's when we're on a long drive, which is thankfully only about twice per year.

To me, a long drive is anything over about 90 minutes.

Actually, I do have to say in McDonald's defense that their coffee and McCafe stuff is fantastic. We have to go about once a week because we have a 9 year old. I fear that letting her eat Happy Meals constitutes a form of child abuse but then she likes just a plain hamburger with no cheese or anything and it's probably the best thing you could actually eat there.

After a long hike in the moutains, my boy and I stopped into a MacDonalds in Lake Placid (NY) for a quick bite. The burgers and fries looked exactly like the poster advertisements and magazine ads - perfect with fresh veggies, melted cheese - I was shocked. Then I noticed the store manager - she was borderline insane, but did a fantastic job in that place. Best MacDonalds ever . . .

When my wife was pregnant with our son (above) we used to frequent Hooters (Houston, T. My wife wanted the hottest wings they made - - - they had an off-menu item called "Bentley's". These wings were fucking vile - but she ate them almost every week after we drove back home from our lake cottage. Those girls ended up giving us a baby shower too - they were very sweet and considerate !!!

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Three, watching people drip burger sauce on themselves is disgusting no matter how good the models look.
    As to the OP's question, to my knowledge we don't have Chipotles or Panera out here. I've never seen them, anyway, and I never even heard of Paneras.
    A hot girl dripping sauce on herself? I don't exactly have a problem with that! I've never been to Chipotles, but we have them here. I think I'd like it. But Panera, that place is awesome! It's not fast food, it's casual dining. They bake their own breads and they are quite good. I'm partial to their paninis. I just had a great one last week, it was steak and white cheddar, with some red onions and a horseradish sauce. And the bread was tasty as usual. Check out these sandwich choices: http://www.panerabread.com/menu/cafe...cafe/index.php

I think this talk of Mexican food and Taco Bell misses the point. While the Mexican restaurants around the northeast likely can't match the ones in the southwest, we do still have some really good ones. If I want great Mexican food, I'll go out and get it, no problem. Fast food is something else entirely, something quick, cheap and tasty. I'm not looking for a gourmet meal when I choose fast food. That being said, I still can't get something that is anything like a Chalupa at a good restaurant. It fills a need.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The only Taco Bell I've ever been to is the one that shortly after was on the news for being overrun with rats. It was pretty horrible - I couldn't really eat what I'd ordered.

Never been to a Chipotle, though they have them here.

I think this talk of Mexican food and Taco Bell misses the point. While the Mexican restaurants around the northeast likely can't match the ones in the southwest, we do still have some really good ones. If I want great Mexican food, I'll go out and get it, no problem. Fast food is something else entirely, something quick, cheap and tasty. I'm not looking for a gourmet meal when I choose fast food.
    It doesn't miss the point, because the kind of mexican food that we are talking about *is* fast food/street food. That's what most people in Cali would associate as being great mexican food. Not something at a gourmet restaurant, but something bought from a cart or food truck or a food counter with only a few tables in it.

As far as Taco Bell goes, I don't think that most people who occasionally eat it really think they are eating mexican food... it's Taco Bell. Kind of like how Pizza Hut isn't quality pizza but sometimes you might want it anyway, or how McDonalds are pretty lousy burgers, but sometimes you're in the mood for that particular kind of lousy. You live in NJ, right? Check out Jose Tejas sometime. It's technically Tex-Mex (and Creole), not real mexican, but it's damn good, and cheap, too! Route 1 in Iselin/Woodbridge. And be sure to pay a visit to Vintage Vinyl (they have a nice dedicated prog section) a mile or two down the road if you go.

Quote Originally Posted by WHORG View Post
    When my wife was pregnant with our son (above) we used to frequent Hooters (Houston, T. My wife wanted the hottest wings they made - - - they had an off-menu item called "Bentley's". These wings were fucking vile - but she ate them almost every week after we drove back home from our lake cottage. Those girls ended up giving us a baby shower too - they were very sweet and considerate !!!
    I love Hooters wings, in fact I think they are the best of anyone around here. I don't get the super hot ones, but go more mid range.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Burger King is still pretty good.
    It's the only one I will still regularly eat at nowadays, I had a Whopper yesterday for example, delish! I think Wendys had already reached the bottom of the hill in the 90s (in London anyway). McD's I'll eat at only in a time emergency but not otherwise, I'll just grab any burger that's ready, no fries, no soda and leave. Taco Bell I haven't eaten at since the mid-90s, simply because I think its awful.

As far as Taco Bell goes, I don't think that most people who occasionally eat it really think they are eating mexican food...
    Of course not, and if there really are people that ignorant (that think it is Mexican food) then god help us. By the way, "burritos" aren't Mexican either.

Wendy's>Burger King>>>>>McDonald's.

But Chick-fil-A beats them all.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    You live in NJ, right? Check out Jose Tejas sometime. It's technically Tex-Mex (and Creole), not real mexican, but it's damn good, and cheap, too! Route 1 in Iselin/Woodbridge. And be sure to pay a visit to Vintage Vinyl (they have a nice dedicated prog section) a mile or two down the road if you go.
    I've heard of Jose Tejas, I'd love to go there. I looked at their menu, it's awesome, but definitely costs more than Taco Bell, plus its a sitdown restaurant. Nothing against that of course, but it takes more time. Funny thing, I have a Mexican sister-in-law who sadly does not cook! She sure knows her Mexican food though. Actually she does make a killer guacamole, best I've ever had. And her chicken enchaladas are good too, with homemade salsa, but that is about all she makes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Of course not, and if there really are people that ignorant (that think it is Mexican food) then god help us. By the way, "burritos" aren't Mexican either.
    Food is like music, I don't care how authentic it is, as long as it's good. We could go on and on about phoney ethnic food if we want, like totally Americanized Chinese food. Can I get a great General Tso chicken in China? I bet they have no idea what it is. But I love it. Ignorance is bliss in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Wendy's>Burger King>>>>>McDonald's.

But Chick-fil-A beats them all.
    Still haven't had their food yet, but we have one close by. I made the mistake of trying to go there on a Sunday. Oops! First time I saw the place was in a food court, they had this ridiculous line, while most of the other places had few customers.

First time I saw the place was in a food court, they had this ridiculous line, while most of the other places had few customers.
    Tells you all you need to know, really.

Chic-fil-A is terrific apart from one shocking aberration: They insist on putting pickle on a chicken sandwich. I don't know where exactly, but if you read your book of Leviticus in the Bible, I'm pretty sure somewhere in there is says you'll go straight to hell for that. And even even if you order it without pickle, that pickle juicy taste is still lurking there.

LOVE the pickle!