Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What decade did you first get into prog?

Early 70's, back when prog was top 40. Yes, ELP, Focus, and others on Casey Kasems show.
    Then I heard WGTB and sort of dumped top 40 all together.
    That and the Rock and Roll Jukebox on WAMU shaped a lot of my musical tastes in Jr High and High School.

mark
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    I can trace it to the exact month...September 1977.
    So can i: Sept 74.... the day after Crime Of The Century was released in Canada..

It was at a record shop's forefront, and that stunning artwork really hit me flat out on the grounsd... Next day, I had the money to buy it

Next up: Dark Side Of The Moon (following month or so)... then Selling England By The Pound (but it would take me around two years to finally get into it

My only previous exposition to "prog" was Stand Up, which my father bought in 69 for Bourée.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

It's hard for me to say. I liked ELP in the early 70s because my older brother had (and all the time played) Tarkus, Trilogy, and BSS. I even said ELP was my fave group for a time in the early 70s, age 8 (!). He also played Yessongs on the old turntable, and Jesus Christ Superstar. By about '76 he started bringing home Genesis albums, and I really dug those (by '78, Genesis were my fave band). But it wasn't until about 1980 that I started exploring prog on my own and buying albums by Yes and Crimson (my thought was that I really loved Genesis, now I want to find out about similiar bands). Then by '82 I bought my first VdGG album (a German release of Aerosol Grey Machine on the Fontana label) in the import section of the hip local record/head shop, and that was it. Boom. VdGG soon raced past all the others as my fave band (still so to this day), I discovered (and ordered from) the Wayside catalog, and soon had albums by Magma, PFM, Orme, etc.

I grew up on The Beatles and AM radio in the 60s, and it really made an impression - I still enjoy "oldies" stations that play 50s/60 music (though they are increasingly hard to find). But by the very early 70s, it was FM radio in the basement, two albums "Best of Cream" and "Smash Hits", then Yes' Fragile and Roundabout 45rpm, Tull's Aqualung... all that happened very quickly; by 1975 I was regularly buying what came out. As others mentioned, I never called it prog back then, maybe "art rock" or something.

I do want to stress how much radio I listened to growing up. The car had AM radio, and we had an old console in the basement that had an FM dial. I also remember having a small red battery operated radio... and of course building crystal radio in school. Everyone had these all-in-one stereos, a receiver with a turntable on top, and a tape player too.

FM radio was really amazing in the late 60s and early 70s. I can remember hearing so much different music on - entire album sides, hell, entire albums, and such a diversity of music... well, maybe not that diverse in relative terms today, but just about all the rock-n-roll that was released back then could be heard on the radio!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Late 80's, 88-89, was in High School, Yes and Rush were my first two.
    I live in an ephemeral eternity

In 1984 I was 12 years old, and to me Genesis was one of the coolest sounding bands. I remember seeing the video for ABACAB and MAMA and I thought they were a little weird. When I went to buy the album ABACAB, the first thing I noticed was that ABACAB was way longer on the album, and that was cool to me! By the time I got to Dodo/Lurker, I was really starting to get a sense that there was a lot more to this band than what I heard on the radio. Still, I had no idea of the history of the band or who was in the band. At the same time, I was getting into Peter Gabriel. One day I was listening to a radio show called "Psychedelic Sunday" that played rare deep album cuts. The DJ said "and now an early Genesis track from Peter Gabriel's time in the group" and my brain nearly exploded. He played "I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)". MIND BLOWN! So Genesis now had become my new obsession and I learned everything I could about them. Of course, this being the early 80s I couldn't just go online and google it. I discovered bit by bit, album by album about a band that was way more interesting than I ever imagined.

Still, I did know the phrase "Prog Rock Music". To me, this shit was just weird and exciting. Yes was the next discovery, and much like Genesis I was in for a shock when I found that they too had different line-ups and their 80's output didn't even hint at the magic awaiting me when I bought "Close to the Edge" and "Relayer".

The first King Crimson album I heard was "Discipline", and at this time is when I started hearing the words "prog rock" all the time. Things started to make sense. To be honest, "Discipline" completely turned me off. I thought KC was too jarring, Adrian sounded too much like David Byrne, and the music just seemed too stiff and just being obtuse for the sake of it. It took 2 years of ignoring them until someone played "Larks Tongue In Aspic" without telling me who it was that I relented and gave up my anti-Crim stance. I was all like "That is John Wetton! This is way better than Asia!" I love me some Asia, but this floored that stuff imo.

It took many years until I started tiring of the standard prog big names, and I thirsted for new stuff. Going to my first Nearfest and seeing Magma opened the floodgates, and all of a sudden language and borders stopped being an issue and I found some of the best progressive music ever. I'm still searching, and still love prog in it's many varied and wonderful forms and I always will.

80s. After a couple of “gateway drugs” (Supertramp’s Breakfast in America, ELO’s On the Third Day and a friend’s copy of ABACAB), I heard “Roundabout” and “I’ve Seen All Good People” on the radio, went out and bought Fragile and Nursery Cryme the same day and the rest, as they say, is history.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Siento que debemos saber para el sueño de quién brillará esta luz
    o consagrar una propia estrella" --Alberto Felici

N.P.:“So Boot If At All”-Soft Machine

Early '70s ('72 or '73).

And we called it progressive rock!

Late '70s is when I first started dabbling in Kansas, Genesis, Yes, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, and Rush, but it wasn't really until the early '90s that I really dove head first into prog with bands like Dream Theater, King Crimson, Gentle Giant. Jethro Tull, etc.
    t

Late 60's.

DtB

Late 60's if Tom Jones and Englebert Humperdink count....

I started loving prog in the mid '80s.

I started hating neo-prog at just about the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by beano View Post
    Late 60's if Tom Jones and Englebert Humperdink count....

How did you get around the "prog question" when you opened your account on PE 3.0 ??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by aplodon View Post
    Early '70s ('72 or '73).

And we called it progressive rock!
    Most people I knew just called it music. As I recall,there were long record racks that started on the left with A and ended on the right with Z. Whatever was in the middle of that alphabet,could have been anything from rock,acid rock,pop,folkrock,avant garde,classical rock,art rock...ART ROCK: King Crimson,Yes,ELP,Genesis,Procol Harum, those were the beginnings of Progressive Rock. It started out I think,with The Beatles/Revolver/Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and def. Magical Mystery Tour. Their next album,Yellow Submarine was really only 4 new songs,the best being written by George. The Beatles aka White Album for me was 30 songs inspired by what they and everyone else had already done. I think they purposely left the psychedelia in the dust. When you think about it,there is not one Prog tune on the White Album. Revolution # 9 is a montage and now that I'm 60,I find I hate it. I can't find anything in that cut that makes me feel good. Also, in America there is Chicago Transit Authority and Chicago II. Those are very adventurous albums musically and truly broke new ground which to me is the definition of progressive rock. I wasn't noticing in 1966 that The Beach Boys-Pet Sounds and Smiley Smile and the scattered Smile cuts that would pop up eventually on select albums would show Brian Wilson to be one of the Godfathers of Proto-Prog. The Doors always get overlooked as a proto-prog band,but after hearing The Celebration Of The Lizard on Absolutely Live,I was blown away a rock band could do stuff like this. Then over in England in 1970,Hawkwind is creating Space Rock with synthesizers all over the place. Although I would not be exposed to them until Live-Space Ritual in 1974. Then I thought I would try out this guy named,Frank Zappa with the purchase of Chunga's Revenge in 1971 while in the Air Force.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Most people I knew just called it music.
    Well we call it music also but if someone asked you to describe the style...you would use expressions like glam, hard, heavy, art, blues, boogie, bubblegum and yes, even progressive...

...this issue has been discused on many occasions and it is clear that the regional experiences differ...

Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    Well we call it music also but if someone asked you to describe the style...you would use expressions like glam, hard, heavy, art, blues, boogie, bubblegum and yes, even progressive...

...this issue has been discused on many occasions and it is clear that the regional experiences differ...
    "AOR" for album-oriented rock, as opposed to the standard 3-minute single which dominated the airwaves for decades before 1970. Also "art rock" was a common (and slightly derogatory) term.

I was a huge RUSH fan 1978, and also was into proggish bands like Led Zep & Styx. But mostly I was a Hard Rock / Metal Guitar Hero Fan in the late 70's. I didn't fall head first into prog until late 1981, just after High School. Pink Floyd, YES & ELP were on my plate thanks to a drummer I became friends with then.

Jefferson James
    April 6, 1974

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    April 6, 1974
    There's a story behind this date -- spill it.

The 60's. Already was listening to The Moody Blues (1st mellotron love affair!), The Nice, Procol Harum, Yes and then King Crimson, who cemented my interest in this new off-shoot of rock. Nobody was using the term progressive rock yet. I think Art-rock was the term. I don't think I heard anyone coin the phrase "progressive rock" until at least 1971 or 72? Anyone remember when they first heard the term? That question could be a topic itself!
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    Art-rock was the term. I don't think I heard anyone coin the phrase "progressive rock" until at least 1971 or 72? Anyone remember when they first heard the term? That question could be a topic itself!
    I first saw the term "progressive rock"--used as an adjective rather than a noun--in '66 in a review of the Paul Butterfield Blues Band's East-West. The term "Art rock" emerged in the late 60s and was replaced by "Progressive rock" (later, "Prog")--now as a noun rather than an adjective--in the mid-ish 70s.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    I first saw the term "progressive rock"--used as an adjective rather than a noun--in '66 in a review of the Paul Butterfield Blues Band's East-West. The term "Art rock" emerged in the late 60s and was replaced by "Progressive rock" (later, "Prog")--now as a noun rather than an adjective--in the mid-ish 70s.

Here we go again...

I've only heard of these 70's bands get lumped in "prog" in the early 90's...
    Albeit, when I spoke of "Art Rock" in Europe, everyone thought I meant "Hard Rock"... none knew of "prog" either

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    The 60's. Already was listening to The Moody Blues (1st mellotron love affair!), The Nice, Procol Harum, Yes and then King Crimson, who cemented my interest in this new off-shoot of rock. Nobody was using the term progressive rock yet. I think Art-rock was the term. I don't think I heard anyone coin the phrase "progressive rock" until at least 1971 or 72? Anyone remember when they first heard the term? That question could be a topic itself!
    pink-floyd-bath-festival-of-blues-and-progressive-rock-back-cover-17636.jpg

Note the date (1972) and the way it's referenced as a "thing" already:

(snip)...But make no mistake -- the Yes people have a lot to be excited over. Gorgeous melodies, intelligent, carefully crafted, constantly surprising arrangements, concise and energetic performances, cryptic but evocative lyrics -- when all these are present Yes is quite boggling and their potential seemingly unlimited.
    As in the opening "Roundabout," marked by a thick, chugging texture which almost imperceptibly accumulates, during deceptively innocent little breaks and fills, a screaming, shattering intensity that builds and builds until suddenly everything drops away but Wakeman's liquid organ trills, some scattered guitar notes and Jon Anderson's pure, plaintive voice: "In and around the lake/Mountains come out of the sky and they/Stand there." It's a tour-de-force, a complete knockout, and perhaps the most quietly devastating moment to appear on a record in recent memory.

The heavily atmosphearic "South Side of the Sky" is also a grabber, a song that goes from full chorus and band (that's loud) to a segment that is nearly Oriental in its pristine simplicity -- just wandering piano, electronic swirlings and the whoosh of an icy wind. "Heart of the Sunrise" is the third extended cut, and it puts everything they've got into a wide-ranging and most impressive package which demonstrates that progressive (remember progressive rock?) doesn't mean sterile and that complex isn't the same thing as inaccessible.

When it's all working, the music made by Yes is what the best music always is, a powerful and emotional experience. It's probably the first music to come along since some of the Kinks' older stuff that actually brings the beginnings of tears to these jaded eyes of mine. Don't be it can't happen to you.

- Richard Cromelin, Rolling Stone, 3-16-72.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    There's a story behind this date -- spill it.
    California Jam I. My older sister went and she just raved about ELP. I couldn't find the broadcast date but whenever it was when ABC showed the CalJam I footage on TV -- that was the day I became a progger. The ELP footage transformed me and I was never the same.