Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: Cruise to the Edge

I'd get seasick. I'd turn every shade of green and puke my guts out.

Ember
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I'd get seasick. I'd turn every shade of green and puke my guts out.
    I thought that before I was induced to go on a cruise. I am highly prone to motion sickness. On the cruise ship, I rarely could even detect any motion, let alone enough to induce unease. I've been on three, now, to Alaska, the Caribbean/Panama Canal, and New England/Canada, and never a twinge.
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I love Riverside myself and don't really consider them prog-metal, but they do get a bit heavy at times I guess. I can certainly see where some bands would work better in a theater setting than on the pool stage.
    I'm sorry to be a downer, we LOVED it the first couple of times, I saw Roye Albrigton's last two performances with Nektar front row center in 2015 so some great memories

Sounds like many are primed for this and ARE happy with the line up, so great for them

If you like the line up its a great vacation no question IMO

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    I thought that before I was induced to go on a cruise. I am highly prone to motion sickness. On the cruise ship, I rarely could even detect any motion, let alone enough to induce unease. I've been on three, now, to Alaska, the Caribbean/Panama Canal, and New England/Canada, and never a twinge.
    I've been to four and on two I had minor issues. In 2014 we went through a pretty significant storm, and watching Renaissance in the theater (which is up front - the two ends are the least stable), I felt my stomach not loving it. The other time was in 2015 when we were still in port and the wind/waves were such that the ship was rocking while we watched a show (I forget which). Both times I ate some of the ginger chews I had and was fine. I've brought motion sickness pills every time (And will next year), but haven't needed them. I chew on ginger every couple hours and that seems to be enough for me.

For some folks having the constant shows at different stages is not their cup of tea. But, we basically bolt from show to show so we can see as much. I really like setting our own itinerary out of what is available. We've seen around 30 shows (or at least most of them - we never count stopping by a stage for a couple songs as seeing a show) more than once and I imagine it will go like that again. My wife wants to come along sometime and while she thinks she'll love it, I don't actually think she will that much unless my friend's wife also comes and they can both slip off by themselves while the dorks hit show after show after show...

I absolutely love this lineup. I'm bummed at a few of the ones missing from the 2020 announced lineup, but I think given the situation they've put together a fantastic bill. I'm not much for the heavier bands, but I always want to have some auto-skip acts in order to help plan out seeing the ones we want, anyway.

I am highly prone to motion sickness.
    Just thinking about it I'm getting nauseous....

I guess Yes is not playing their own Cruise?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    BTW, I highly recommend attending the Q&A sessions. The guy who hosts the cruise does the Q&A sessions, and he's really good at it. He actually manages to ask the right questions, and get good responses and news tidbits.

I might be able to find this out from checking the CttE site, so forgive me if that's the case, but I've been on several wonderful cruises, and as good as the ship fare was, the highlights were the excursions. Additional cost, but a different world opened. Do they have excursions on CttE? If they do, do they pause the live shows? Do the artists go on the excursions with the paying customers? Love to hear about this.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I might be able to find this out from checking the CttE site, so forgive me if that's the case, but I've been on several wonderful cruises, and as good as the ship fare was, the highlights were the excursions. Additional cost, but a different world opened. Do they have excursions on CttE? If they do, do they pause the live shows? Do the artists go on the excursions with the paying customers? Love to hear about this.
    Yes, although many cruisers elect to skip them just to try to recover a little from the constant excitement. And there are still some concerts even during excursion times. The artists have their obligations to play for certain concerts, but beyond that they are cruisers themselves. You will see them attend other shows and go on excursions and bump into them around the boat. That's one of the highlights of the cruise - it's a multi-day all-access backstage pass. Just be cool about it and realize they are people too.

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    I am also quite prone to motion / sea sickness, but have rarely had problems on cruises. In fact of the cruises we have been on I can only think of one occasion when I got mildly seasick. It was on the first cruise we took on our honeymoon 28 years ago in rolling seas, but since then I have never had a problem. The ships today have huge stabelizers that keep things on a very even keel unless there is some kind of unusual extreme weather.

Let’s stay on the topic of the cruise info and not turn this into a COVID thread. Thanks.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Unlike most other cruises, the excursions on CttE are not really interesting. I went on CttE 2014 and never got off the boat. The music doesn't stop during excursion days -- bands are playing in multiple venues on the ship from late morning until after midnight. If a particular band is not scheduled to play during the day, they do sometimes get off the boat. I know, for example, Tangerine dream did on CttE 2014. Other idle bands hang out on board. I lounged around on one of the sun decks with Tony Levin, and later got my picture taken with him.

On CttE 2022, they are stopping at Labadee and CocoCay. When you see "private isle" or "cay" -- it's just a tiny sandbar in the middle of the ocean with beaches and activities like swimming, snorkeling, sunbathing, water park rides, etc. There's really no tourist or sightseeing activities.

Personally, I'd rather stay on board and enjoy the music -- which is what I paid the big money for. I can go to a water park when I get home.

^^ Another reason why this has no appeal to me. If there's nothing to see on shore, they might was well stay docked.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by wiz_d_kidd View Post
    On CttE 2022, they are stopping at Labadee and CocoCay. When you see "private isle" or "cay" -- it's just a tiny sandbar in the middle of the ocean with beaches and activities like swimming, snorkeling, sunbathing, water park rides, etc. There's really no tourist or sightseeing activities.

Personally, I'd rather stay on board and enjoy the music -- which is what I paid the big money for. I can go to a water park when I get home.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    ^^ Another reason why this has no appeal to me. If there's nothing to see on shore, they might was well stay docked.
    The private islands can be pretty cool because you get off the ship and just relax on the beach or other fun activities (especially for families). But it's better when the cays are part of a 3 stop or 4 stop cruise. I haven't been to Labadee, but it wouldn't be my first choice. I'd rather see the Yucatan again, or even Key West can be a fun stop you might not otherwise get to see.

The best cruise I was on took off from Long Beach, CA and went to Cabo, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta. If CttE ever did that, I might have to consider it.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Most years at least one if not both shore stops are at actual destinations. This ended up this way with all the rescheduling and leaving further north. We usually get off and get a meal somewhere but this year I don’t know if we will. Probably so, if just for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    A cruise never interested me before, and it definitely has zero to offer me now.
    I'm in the same boat.... so to speak.

A couple of thoughts: So there's a thread on a prog cruise and a whole passel of folks feel compelled to post, some more than once that they have no interest in cruising, why they feel they have to express their sentiments is beyond me, you don't like you don't go, what makes you think those who do want to hear from you? People are weird, next case.

For those who are interested from someone who's been on when it comes to cabins I'd recommend the cheapest you can obtain, in the first place all you do there is lay your head down after a long day, a shower in the morning (God those showers are the pits) and off you go, having a deck or a porthole doesn't enhance your experience as the entire ship is a deck, if you want to gaze at the ocean go topside and gaze away, it can save you serious $.

Another tip: the cruise is designed to get you onboard for a specific price but that's where the fun begins for the cruise line (not so much for you), it's designed to extract every dollar it can from you once aboard, if you're not a big drinker forget the drink packages, as for extra cost items if you're there for the music you're set, the food is paid for (not soft drinks, there are no-cost choices like tea or punch or water, soft drinks will set you back $), there are plenty of Q & A sessions, meet and greets are silly IMO, you pay for a quick pic with the artist and stand on a line forever to get it, outside of a few adult beverages our final bill mirrors what we paid initially and we have a blast of a time, you can enjoy your cruise without paying through the nose if you're smart about it.
    Last edited by BarryLI; 06-13-2021 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    A couple of thoughts: So there's a thread on a prog cruise and a whole passel of folks feel compelled to post, some more than once that they have no interest in cruising, why they feel they have to express their sentiments is beyond me, you don't like you don't go, what makes you think those who do want to hear from you? People are weird, next case.
    Some are interested in the festival elements, though. For me, with my line of work, I am interested in the marketing of each band and how the cruise organizers run things.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Some are interested in the festival elements, though. For me, with my line of work, I am interested in the marketing of each band and how the cruise organizers run things.
    I can dig it, it's more the "I wouldn't go on a cruise if you paid me" and "I'd probably puke my guts out" comments that are silly.

For those who are interested from someone who's been on when it comes to cabins I'd recommend the cheapest you can obtain, in the first place all you do there is lay your head down after a long day, a shower in the morning (God those showers are the pits) and off you go, having a deck or a porthole doesn't enhance your experience as the entire ship is a deck, if you want to gaze at the ocean go topside and gaze away, it can save you serious $.

Another tip: the cruise is designed to get you onboard for a specific price but that's where the fun begins for the cruise line (not so much for you), it's designed to extract every dollar it can from you once aboard, if you're not a big drinker forget the drink packages, as for extra cost items if you're there for the music you're set, the food is paid for (not soft drinks, there are no-cost choices like tea or punch or water, soft drinks will set you back $), there are plenty of Q & A sessions, meet and greets are silly IMO, you pay for a quick pic with the artist and stand on a line forever to get it, outside of a few adult beverages our final bill mirrors what we paid initially and we have a blast of a time, you can enjoy your cruise without paying through the nose if you're smart about it.
    I always find it odd when people post some of the comments as well, but it happens on music threads as well. As I have mentioned before, my wife and I love cruising and have done quite a few over the years. We have never done a music cruise before, but regular cruising has always been a lot of fun and an economical way to vacation and visit different places. We love it, but it is not for everyone.

Regarding cabins on CTTE, we got a balcony room, mainly for my wife who is not nearly into the music as much as I am. She will get a lot of enjoyment out of the balcony, but I get for regular prog fans that an inside cabin would probably work fine.

been on when it comes to cabins I'd recommend the cheapest you can obtain, in the first place all you do there is lay your head down after a long day, a shower in the morning (God those showers are the pits) and off you go, having a deck or a porthole doesn't enhance your experience as the entire ship is a deck, if you want to gaze at the ocean go topside and gaze away, it can save you serious $.
    this is the only thing i would disagree with. I went in 2013 and got the cheap room, with bunks, and it was quite small and uncomfortable. 2014 we actually had beds and a balcony and it was great. It does cost more, but every day is a marathon, its nice to get good rest. Overall it was a great both years. And to echo someone else's experience we sat on boat with Alan White and his wife from the ship to Grand Cayman. Nice relaxed conversation. Ran into Steve Hackett a couple times, drank some beer with his band, and hung out with Alex Machacek and his wife Sumi. It was quite surrealistic. John Wetton, Eddie Jobson, Tony Levin, Gary Green... we had a blast!

Quote Originally Posted by Proghound View Post
    this is the only thing i would disagree with. I went in 2013 and got the cheap room, with bunks, and it was quite small and uncomfortable. 2014 we actually had beds and a balcony and it was great. It does cost more, but every day is a marathon, its nice to get good rest. Overall it was a great both years. And to echo someone else's experience we sat on boat with Alan White and his wife from the ship to Grand Cayman. Nice relaxed conversation. Ran into Steve Hackett a couple times, drank some beer with his band, and hung out with Alex Machacek and his wife Sumi. It was quite surrealistic. John Wetton, Eddie Jobson, Tony Levin, Gary Green... we had a blast!
    We rest just fine in the cheap seats, different strokes, etc. Yes, the interaction with the musicians is a highlight of the experience, eating breakfast with Carl Palmer, riding the lift with Gary Brooker and Steve Hackett, sitting on the deck talking to Dave Lambert telling him he sang at your wedding (Autumn), whispering to Neal Morse that the band on stage is “really good” (Spocks Beard), and on and on and on, it’s a dream come true to be honest.

Not everyone needs to share the same thoughts about the cruises. I, for one, have no interest in attending, but am very interested in the music and experiences of others who go.

Does that mean I cannot participate in this thread? Is there something wrong with conversations that come from different perspectives? Should we all be like-minded robots? That would make things quite boring.

I don't see anything "silly" about people saying they got seasick. That's a common experience is very relevant to those who might be on the fence about going.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I got great sleep in an inner cabin because of how dark it was with the lights out!