Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Cruise to the Edge

I am also in for CTTE 2024. Went on 3 cruises previously 2017-2018-2019 and took a break for 2020 which worked out as the whole world stopped for 2 years.
    Excited about 2024 and the stops in Jamaica and Grand Caymans.
    As long as Steve Hackett is aboard, then I will be too! ��

We've been on 5 out of the 7 CTTE's so far and to be honest were ready to give it a miss this time.
    The 2022 cruise was easily the least enjoyable of the CTTEs for us but we've been tempted back for a number of reasons:
    1. The initial line up of acts is excellent.
    2. Sailing out of Miami - it's easier for us to get flights to Miami compared to Tampa or Port Canaveral and transfers not a problem.
    3. Two new ports of call (for us) and neither are beach-only ports like those awful places on the last cruise. Private islands yuk!!!!
    4. A move away from the Royal Carribean fleet (we're not fans - long story!) plus the Norwegian Pearl has a much more crowd friendly deck space for the pool stage (if I recall correctly).
    5. Doesn't sail until 2024 so plenty of time to save a few $$$ for spending money!

And for those on a budget, if you book soon (I believe before Dec 10), they have a 12 month interest free payment plan (or 6 month) with a $200 down payment per person available right now. So you would be paid off by Dec 2023.

The 2 new destinations work for me and we always enjoy 90% off the bands (and we know more will be added).

Saw Yes last night and they sound/look good so maybe they join in as the cruise is still way over a year away. Can’t imagine Billy Sherwood not on the cruise or Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by r2daft2 View Post
    We've been on 5 out of the 7 CTTE's so far and to be honest were ready to give it a miss this time.
    The 2022 cruise was easily the least enjoyable of the CTTEs for us but we've been tempted back for a number of reasons:
    1. The initial line up of acts is excellent.
    2. Sailing out of Miami - it's easier for us to get flights to Miami compared to Tampa or Port Canaveral and transfers not a problem.
    3. Two new ports of call (for us) and neither are beach-only ports like those awful places on the last cruise. Private islands yuk!!!!
    4. A move away from the Royal Carribean fleet (we're not fans - long story!) plus the Norwegian Pearl has a much more crowd friendly deck space for the pool stage (if I recall correctly).
    5. Doesn't sail until 2024 so plenty of time to save a few $$$ for spending money!
    We've also been on 5/7 and I had a blast on the last one. I agree with you that I prefer Norwegian to RC, but I really liked having two large indoor venues this past cruise. I felt that added some flexibility in scheduling and also meant a second large stage wasn't subject to outdoor issues. The Pearl has a much better pool stage area than this past cruise (or the other RC boat from the past few, IMO).

I don't go on these for the ports of call, but I didn't love the stops this year, either. However, I think they were at least partly driven by having places that wouldn't have potential complications with Covid, so I gave that a pass. We didn't get off the boat for the second one but did walk around a bit at the first one. Meh, but not why we were there, so no biggie. I like the ports this time around, but if there are conflicts, or I am just way too tired, I'll possibly stay on the boat anyway. We usually try and get off and walk around a bit, but we never do excursions or go very far. Over the years we've liked a particular restaurant in Cozumel that we went back to a couple times, but we haven't done anything more than catch a bite and get back onboard. I'm there for the music and try and see as many shows as possible, so doing stuff on shore is less appealing than resting up a bit or catching a show happening while we are docked. I love traveling, so I get the appeal of time in ports, just not on this cruise.

I enjoyed staying in Port Canaveral last year - mellow and still had stuff to do and I had never been to the Kennedy Space Center which I loved visiting. But, I'm flying in domestic so flights to Orlando weren't an issue and it wasn't that hard to get to PC from there. I get that would be different for someone coming from outside the country.

The lineup is fantastic so far. Really happy to have booked already. And, I am also happy to have a year between for several reasons (including financial).

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
    And for those on a budget, if you book soon (I believe before Dec 10), they have a 12 month interest free payment plan (or 6 month) with a $200 down payment per person available right now. So you would be paid off by Dec 2023.

The 2 new destinations work for me and we always enjoy 90% off the bands (and we know more will be added).

Saw Yes last night and they sound/look good so maybe they join in as the cruise is still way over a year away. Can’t imagine Billy Sherwood not on the cruise or Geoff.
    Talked us into it John, and that 12-month payment plan sealed the deal, especially with your credit card!

Quote Originally Posted by Mstove View Post
    We've also been on 5/7 and I had a blast on the last one. I agree with you that I prefer Norwegian to RC, but I really liked having two large indoor venues this past cruise. I felt that added some flexibility in scheduling and also meant a second large stage wasn't subject to outdoor issues. The Pearl has a much better pool stage area than this past cruise (or the other RC boat from the past few, IMO). ial).
    Curious, what are the indoor venues on the Pear? I have only been on the 2022 Cruise and loved the indoor ice skating rink venue, but from what I have read it does not sound like the Pearl has anything like that? What venues do they have besides theater, lounge, and pool stage?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ There are a couple of other lounge-type stages that I didn't think much of on the Pearl, but as some have said, the pool stage is much better. Just a stage with a large area in front of it for people to watch. No hot tubs in the way or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ^ There are a couple of other lounge-type stages that I didn't think much of on the Pearl, but as some have said, the pool stage is much better. Just a stage with a large area in front of it for people to watch. No hot tubs in the way or anything.
    The lounge with the pub upstairs is one of my favorite venues of any CTTE I've attended. While there are the usual rows of seating downstairs, you have options for closer side viewing upstairs, along with tables where you can have a meal or cocktails at the pub. I really enjoy this particular spot, but we almost always sat upstairs for shows there. The other lounge is fine, comparable to the one this past year, though maybe a bit bigger.

I do believe the Pearl has emphasized music type cruises over the past several years, so I'm wondering if there have been modifications since the 2015 sailing. Not sure.

Edit to add - there isn't a real equivalent of the ice-skating rink on the Pearl. That is too bad, as I thought it was an excellent second large venue.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    Talked us into it John, and that 12-month payment plan sealed the deal, especially with your credit card!

I'll admit that the ice rink venue is the one big plus for the RC ships as it effectively becomes the #2 venue for the cruise (after the theatre).
    However, getting into a show there could be a right pain in the .... (Queues to the Edge!).

On the other ships the pool stage is the #2 venue - there can be issues if there's bad weather but it's the only venue that can cater for all for the one-off shows (tributes etc.)

I've never been on one of these. I had to have below the knee amputation on my right leg in May. I'm doing fairly well on the prosthetic, but can't stand
    for very long at this point. Will I be able to get a seat for the shows? Any information would be helpful. Thanks a lot.
    My wife probably wouldn't go. Not her thing.

Could the ice rink be used to attract Wakeman on the cruise?

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    I've never been on one of these. I had to have below the knee amputation on my right leg in May. I'm doing fairly well on the prosthetic, but can't stand
    for very long at this point. Will I be able to get a seat for the shows? Any information would be helpful. Thanks a lot.
    My wife probably wouldn't go. Not her thing.
    There are always seating options at each venue. Some of them, like the theater, are completely seated (some reserved, others first-come) while others like the pool stage are a mix. There are always people with mobility issues who have to sit for every show. That said, some bands are more likely to have folks standing in front which might mean from time to time taking a spot a bit further back with not as nice of a view. I always look at it as a mix of trying to get really close for some and just sit and listen at others. You won't be alone in having an issue standing, so I wouldn't let that stop me if it is something you want to do.

There are always seating options at each venue. Some of them, like the theater, are completely seated (some reserved, others first-come) while others like the pool stage are a mix. There are always people with mobility issues who have to sit for every show. That said, some bands are more likely to have folks standing in front which might mean from time to time taking a spot a bit further back with not as nice of a view. I always look at it as a mix of trying to get really close for some and just sit and listen at others. You won't be alone in having an issue standing, so I wouldn't let that stop me if it is something you want to do.
    Thanks for the information. I'm hoping by then I'll be able to stand without issue or much issue.

Thanks for the information. I'm hoping by then I'll be able to stand without issue or much issue.
    Not that this is news for you given your situation, but there are always a couple people with the sort of cane/stool combos on the boat - the kind that unfolds into a three legged seat. Hopefully you won't need one, but you wouldn't be alone with something like that. As much as there are more younger people than I expected, there are still plenty with different levels of mobility issues from scooters or chairs to canes, etc.

Hope you get to that point whether you go on the boat or not. If you do, I'm sure you'll have fun. There is a reason so many go back year after year. We've missed just one since we made the 14 cruise.

Quote Originally Posted by markowitz View Post
    Could the ice rink be used to attract Wakeman on the cruise?

Not that this is news for you given your situation, but there are always a couple people with the sort of cane/stool combos on the boat - the kind that unfolds into a three legged seat. Hopefully you won't need one, but you wouldn't be alone with something like that. As much as there are more younger people than I expected, there are still plenty with different levels of mobility issues from scooters or chairs to canes, etc.

Hope you get to that point whether you go on the boat or not. If you do, I'm sure you'll have fun. There is a reason so many go back year after year. We've missed just one since we made the 14 cruise.
    Thanks once again. Walking is going well, it’s just standing in one spot. I have a rehearsal Sunday and a gig December 11. I’ll use a tall stool as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Thanks once again. Walking is going well, it’s just standing in one spot. I have a rehearsal Sunday and a gig December 11. I’ll use a tall stool as needed.

I think you have a great attitude. Good luck with the gig (wish I could see your band but I'm far away).
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

That's cool. Mobility issues stink - glad you are able to get through that part. Have a great rehearsal and gig!

That's cool. Mobility issues stink - glad you are able to get through that part. Have a great rehearsal and gig!
    Thanks so much for everyone's kindness. I'm wondering how I would use the shower on the ship if I went? I could disassemble the shower chair, which is needed ,and pack it
    but I still need a walker to get around at times. Do you think they could provide one for me? I'll have the prosthetic to walk around in on the ship.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I think you have a great attitude. Good luck with the gig (wish I could see your band but I'm far away).
    This is our last gig, just before the surgery. Allman Brothers tribute band, Idlewild West:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbeXJJ9D-a8&t=1s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3psyVOEc0c
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXBYHVes6io

Thanks so much for everyone's kindness. I'm wondering how I would use the shower on the ship if I went? I could disassemble the shower chair, which is needed ,and pack it
    but I still need a walker to get around at times. Do you think they could provide one for me? I'll have the prosthetic to walk around in on the ship.
    I have to believe that they have rooms with accessible showers. I’d send the CTTE folks an email to see how that works.

I have to believe that they have rooms with accessible showers. I’d send the CTTE folks an email to see how that works.
    I will.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    This is our last gig, just before the surgery. Allman Brothers tribute band, Idlewild West:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbeXJJ9D-a8&t=1s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3psyVOEc0c
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXBYHVes6io
    The ABB are a top 10 band for me, ever, I think your band is very talented. Which player are you?
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Would an electronic scooter be an option for you? We went on an Alaska cruise with some friends and one of them rented a scooter from the cruise line and it really helped her get around.