Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Cruise to the Edge

I don't like his music, I don't like his persona, but I do admire the things Kid Rock does for his fans and community.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I don't like his music, I don't like his persona, but I do admire the things Kid Rock does for his fans and community.
    I absolutely hated his music when he first started out, especially the rap stuff, but he has moved in more of a straight ahead heartland rock n roll territory in recent years. I have a buddy who is really into him and let me borrow some albums. I still don’t like his early stuff, but his last two are not half bad.

Steve Sly

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I absolutely hated his music when he first started out, especially the rap stuff, but he has moved in more of a straight ahead heartland rock n roll territory in recent years. I have a buddy who is really into him and let me borrow some albums. I still don’t like his early stuff, but his last two are not half bad.

Steve Sly
    My first Kid Rock CD purchase was the self-titled CD from 2003. Got it because his cover of Feel Like Making Love was played on the radio a lot. That was the first Kid Rock song I heard on that station. Since it is mainly a classic rock station, they probably played that song because it was a cover. They also played another song from that album. Can't remember if it was Jackson, Mississippi or I Am. Pretty sure it was the former. I also got that CD, because I heard he had recorded an obscure Bob Seeger song.

Kid Rock takes a lot of flack here, but I give the guy a lot of credit ... Yea, he gets a lot of rednecks at his shows, but there are also a lot of people who just like good time rock n roll.
    OK, Steve. How was the cruise?

Actually, I have several old high school friends who would be right at home amongst that crowd. I just hope they all have their replacement livers on order.

One thing about Kid Rock, the man has talent. I saw him years ago; he sang, he ran about the stage, he played piano, he played the drums, he had go-go dancers on stage, he engaged the audience. The music may not be what captivates your soul, but he has a stage presence that many performers do not have.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    OK, Steve. How was the cruise?

Actually, I have several old high school friends who would be right at home amongst that crowd. I just hope they all have their replacement livers on order.
    I think a Kid Rock cruise would even be too much for my already burdened liver, and although I like some of his stuff I could not take a whole week of him. I would love to do a music cruise one of these days though. Along with Cruise To The Edge there are a lot of good ones out there. I know several people who have been on the “Legendary Blues Cruise” (always a killer lineup if you are into blues), and have just raved about it. Everyone I have talked to who went on Cruise To The Edge loved it too. One of these days……..

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    One thing about Kid Rock, the man has talent. I saw him years ago; he sang, he ran about the stage, he played piano, he played the drums, he had go-go dancers on stage, he engaged the audience. The music may not be what captivates your soul, but he has a stage presence that many performers do not have.
    Agreed, there is a reason why he has risen to the top of whatever genre you might call him. He is one hell of a charismatic live performer and he gives it all for 2 hours when he is on stage. Love him or hate him, I don’t think his fans ever walk away feeling ripped off.

Steve Sly

That's kinda how I feel about Springsteen. I've always enjoyed some of his tunes, but I've never been a huge fan by any means. However, when I finally got around to seeing him live a few years ago, he really won me over. He performed with such heart & energy, and established such a rapport with the audience, that even in the worst seats of a huge stadium it felt like I was catching a great band in a crowded bar. Most rock bands - even great ones - can't pull that off.

Quote Originally Posted by olias View Post
    That's kinda how I feel about Springsteen. I've always enjoyed some of his tunes, but I've never been a huge fan by any means. However, when I finally got around to seeing him live a few years ago, he really won me over. He performed with such heart & energy, and established such a rapport with the audience, that even in the worst seats of a huge stadium it felt like I was catching a great band in a crowded bar. Most rock bands - even great ones - can't pull that off.
    I would also add John Mellencamp to that category. I never got into him at all until I saw him live as an opening act one time (he was opening for Heart). The guy just had that “it” factor that allowed him to connect with the crowd. He had the whole stadium up and on their feet through the whole show, and this was before he had become really big. It was really kind of amazing and by far one of the biggest responses I have ever seen an opening act get. Heart never was able to match that energy when they came on.

Steve Sly

One thing about Kid Rock, the man has talent.... he had go-go dancers on stage....
    ???

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Photos of a recent Heavy Metal cruise:

http://cnnphotos.blogs.cnn.com/2013/...ise/?hpt=hp_c4

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Photos of a recent Heavy Metal cruise:

http://cnnphotos.blogs.cnn.com/2013/...ise/?hpt=hp_c4
    Why these things are a growing business:

The trip set a record as the world’s largest heavy metal cruise and, according to its organizers, broke Royal Caribbean’s record for weeklong alcohol sales before it even left port.

I'd love to see the doctor's log from that heavy metal cruise - I'll bet there were a ton of minor "drunken douchebag" injuries.

Hey, I don't recall anyone mentioning the young lady who sang for IOEarth on Cruise to the Edge. Just saw her in the new Progression and she's a bit of alright, eh?
    Apparently she's now their full-time singer - she was filling in for their regular singer who was ill. Anyone know what's up with the previous singer? Is she still ill?

Hey, I don't recall anyone mentioning the young lady who sang for IOEarth on Cruise to the Edge. Just saw her in the new Progression and she's a bit of alright, eh?
    Apparently she's now their full-time singer - she was filling in for their regular singer who was ill. Anyone know what's up with the previous singer? Is she still ill?
    I was thinking the same thing. There was never any official announcement that I ever heard, but she now appears to be a permanent member.

I did hear that their original female lead singer was parting ways with the band sometime back in 2013. I didn't know they had a replacement already, but that's good to hear. Great band, by the way!

I was thinking the same thing. There was never any official announcement that I ever heard, but she now appears to be a permanent member.
    There's some kind of official announcement on PROG mag's web site. The new singer is a little minx.

Linda Odinsen is the name of that litttle minx, she officially joined IOEearth in May 2013.

GOOGLE: Linda Odinsen. MINX: Confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by julioscissors View Post
    GOOGLE: Linda Odinsen. MINX: Confirmed.
    I've never heard a note of IOEarth, but going by this Google search, I'm now a fan for life!

There was an announcement as I remember. It seems the regular singer had to leave IOEARTH because of "family health matters." No details were given other than it made it impossible for her to tour. The new singer subbed at the last minute for Cruise to the Edge and the group was the break-out act after a late afternoon windy set. Wasn't surprised when they announced she had joined the group pernanently.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHjog0xOK2A

Who;s going this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    Who;s going this year?
    Quite a few of the Rosfest crowd I usually hang out with (Buster, Pegs, Norm, Fox&Monkey, Kim, ...). My wife Denise and I also will be on CTTE.

If the Novel Coronavirus is still kicking by mid-March or so, the CTTE FB groups are going to explode. I'll be monitoring things and if it gets interesting I'll let you know. I hope for everyone to have a great cruise (Jesus, Marillion will be on there!), but those FB groups have a weird combination of people, and tempers can get hot, especially when people have already paid thousands of dollars, are flying in from Europe, etc.