Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Cruise to the Edge

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    Yeah what an incredible bummer if you test positive and blow the cruise and your $, nothing you can do but spin the dice I guess.
    Out of the mouths of babes, Walgreens test this morning then out to brunch with my wife, test results come while we're chewing, Jet's first is negative, I come up positive (should have had a 5th shot I guess?). Incredible panic then sadness as we realize the cruise is toast and to top it all off I feel all peaches and cream, nothing out of whack at all, pulled a 98.6 on my radio dial. Undaunted I go home and pull out a test kit, notice it's the exact same test we took at Walgreen's, take it, wait 15 minutes, negative. Have no idea what's going on, wait an hour, pull out another kit, test again: negative. Now I'm cheesed, walk to the neighborhood Urgent Care, take the test for a fourth time: negative again, got my paperwork and am good to go, wanna shake?

Banned
    The test is BS for Omicron BA1, only 50% accurate. The number of 80% was for previous variants. Biggest risk is paying for a cruise and testing positive. My girlfriend tested positive 3 days after having mild symptoms, sleeping next to me and coughing. I tested negative the next day, no symptoms, so went to ROSfest. Around all those people, and didn’t get it. Also saw a packed Hackett show, didn’t get it. Weeks later I develop a runny nose, and get a test, and it was negative. 2 days after my girlfriend tested positive her symptoms disappeared. A week later she tested negative. She didn’t bother test after symptoms went away, because you can test positive after symptoms go away because pieces of the virus can be detected even though one is not transmitted a living virus. Just know that one who is vitamin D deficient is 14 times more likely to have a serious case of infected with C19.

Out of the mouths of babes, Walgreens test this morning then out to brunch with my wife, test results come while we're chewing, Jet's first is negative, I come up positive (should have had a 5th shot I guess?). Incredible panic then sadness as we realize the cruise is toast and to top it all off I feel all peaches and cream, nothing out of whack at all, pulled a 98.6 on my radio dial. Undaunted I go home and pull out a test kit, notice it's the exact same test we took at Walgreen's, take it, wait 15 minutes, negative. Have no idea what's going on, wait an hour, pull out another kit, test again: negative. Now I'm cheesed, walk to the neighborhood Urgent Care, take the test for a fourth time: negative again, got my paperwork and am good to go, wanna shake?
    Kiss Neal for me, will ya?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Kiss Neal for me, will ya?
    He already had it, round 2?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I've been to four concerts so far this year, and no covid that I'm aware of. BUT, it sort of seems to me that at these weekend-long events people have more of a chance of coming away with Covid. But I think the organizers will be relieved just when the ship leaves the harbor, whatever happens! They've been holding onto peoples' money for a long time now, unsure if they'll ultimately be able to keep it. But it looks like the coast is clear now - bon voyage!
    The cruise does require a negative COVID test within 48 hours of sailing (Laurel and I just got ours today), and proof of vaccination.

Glad you finally passed.

Thanks, Steve.

Thanks, Steve.
    Quick question. Do we know each other in real life? Not sure who "BarryLI" is?

That's wonderful news about the test finally being correct.
    Don't get me started on the mess these false positives have been creating.

We were at the final show of the Progject tour last night in Largo, and it was fantastic. Highly recommend the Pre Cruise show tonight May 1st.
    Have fun!
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Quick question. Do we know each other in real life? Not sure who "BarryLI" is?
    Sometimes my wife says the same thing, you guys related? Barry Rosen in my name, got the BarryLI moniker when I was on the old SB Board with Barry Thompson (BarryMass), that way they could tell us mooks apart. I haven't pressed the flesh with any PE members in real life but I love waking up in the morning not knowing what's gonna happen or, who I'm gonna meet, where I'm gonna wind up. Just the other night I was sleeping under a bridge and now here I am on the grandest prog site on the internet having discussions with you fine people. I figure life's a gift and I don't intend on wasting it. You don't know what hand you're gonna get dealt next. You learn to take life as it comes at you... to make each day count.
    Last edited by BarryLI; 05-01-2022 at 09:08 AM.

Sometimes my wife says the same thing, you guys related? Barry Rosen in my name, got the BarryLI moniker when I was on the old SB Board with Barry Thompson (BarryMass), that way they could tell us mooks apart. I haven't pressed the flesh with any PE members in real life but I love waking up in the morning not knowing what's gonna happen or, who I'm gonna meet, where I'm gonna wind up. Just the other night I was sleeping under a bridge and now here I am on the grandest prog site on the internet having discussions with you fine people. I figure life's a gift and I don't intend on wasting it. You don't know what hand you're gonna get dealt next. You learn to take life as it comes at you... to make each day count.
    And sketching underage girls nude can get you chained to a pipe on a sinking ship!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    And sketching underage girls nude can get you chained to a pipe on a sinking ship!
    Ha! We've been on countless CTTE's and Moody Blues Cruises (On The Blue nowadays), it's our only vacation all year as my wife and I run a small family insurance biz, we always get the cheapest cabin because all we do is sleep there, we're out and about most of the time (not that there's anything wrong with the rattle your jewelry Oceanview suites), it's just our style. In an homage to my hero Jack Dawson when someone asks where our cabin is I reflexively say "steerage", can't tell you how many people say "oh" and continue in conversation, not that many Titanic fans on a prog ship I guess.

Ha! We've been on countless CTTE's and Moody Blues Cruises (On The Blue nowadays), it's our only vacation all year as my wife and I run a small family insurance biz, we always get the cheapest cabin because all we do is sleep there, we're out and about most of the time (not that there's anything wrong with the rattle your jewelry Oceanview suites), it's just our style. In an homage to my hero Jack Dawson when someone asks where our cabin is I reflexively say "steerage", can't tell you how many people say "oh" and continue in conversation, not that many Titanic fans on a prog ship I guess.
    Bygone days for sure. My Grandma immigrated in 1926 and always reminded us that she came over in 2nd Class, Not Steerage! Something of a Big deal 100 years ago. My Grandfather came over in 1923 with his brother....Being fishermen by trade, I'm sure they came Steerage. Found some info on Ellis Island but can't find some....mostly because all my Gpeeps changed their names to be more American.

Hope everyone enjoys the Cruise. Report back to us landlubbers of the performances. Concert reviews have been scarce these past two years.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Have a great time, Steve, our plane was ready to take off after a 90 minute wait on the tarmac when in essence the check engine light came on, we had to return to the gate. They are working on the plane but our window to arrive on time has closed, till next time.

^ That's gutting. My sincere sympathy.

Have a great time, Steve, our plane was ready to take off after a 90 minute wait on the tarmac when in essence the check engine light came on, we had to return to the gate. They are working on the plane but our window to arrive on time has closed, till next time.
    Oh SHIT, so sorry to hear that.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Wow, that SUCKS, Barry! Happened to me the Friday before Progday once, and since then I always arrive the Thursday before so there's a plan-B. Do you get a refund?

Between the false positive Covid tests, and now this, I think the Universe is trying to tell you something Barry.
    I try to never underestimate why things happen sometimes , ask anyone who never made it to work on 9/11.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Wow, that SUCKS, Barry! Happened to me the Friday before Progday once, and since then I always arrive the Thursday before so there's a plan-B. Do you get a refund?
    Anatomy of a nightmare: We're on the JetBlue 7:00am flight out of JFK, have to be at the seaport by 2:30, it's a 2:14 flight due in at 9:14, the port is 45 minutes away from the Orlando airport, easy peasy, right? It was raining when we boarded on time so they stopped planes from taking off as it was a thunderstorm, the pilot said it would be brief. An hour later while sitting at the gate we received clearance to take off, that meant joining a line of 25 other planes that were taking off now, too. We taxied into position on the line and spent another hour there, I noticed out of my cabin window that when we got to three planes away we pulled to the left and let the planes behind us take our place. We sat there for 15 minutes then the Captain came on to tell us that the check engine light had come on for the right engine so we'd have to taxi back to the gate to have the techs check it out, another half hour goes by before we get there. The techs come on the plane and are working on the engine too and another 45 minutes goes by, they finally tell us we could get off and wait inside the gate to see what the "game plan" will be. As we get inside we tell the gate agent our predicament, time is of the essence, we can't just sit around and wait to see what transpires, she checks her computer and tells us we could hop on a different flight and there is sufficient time (now a tight squeeze though) and we asked the fatal question, "what about our luggage?" She tells us that they aren't allowed to open the luggage bay until a determination is made as to whether the plane will take off, we didn't want to show up at the cruise terminal with only what we were wearing for the entire cruise so we waited a bit longer when they finally announced that they were going to fly in a different plane that would be leaving at 12:30, too late to get us there on time. They had to transfer the bags to the new plane and said they would unload ours, we waited by the baggage claim but didn't see them so we went to the office where they told us our bags were on the new plane going to Orlando! We were not the only people on the ship who were going on a cruise as one couple was on their honeymoon, (great start), they called out to us that they found their bag so the computer was wrong, we went over and finally found our bags, too. We got a ride home in a Mercedes SL250 where we were jammed in the back, it's like a Kia Forte with a Mercedes emblem, the driver drove like a maniac and I hurt my back getting in and out of it, not to mention the way he drove, what a day! To answer your question we did buy trip insurance (seeing as we sell insurance for a living we'd be idiots not to have) so we will get our $ back, the aggravation and disappointment are free.

Sure wish I was on that boat right now!!! Super jealous!!!
    The Prog Corner

That's brutal Barry. Absolutely sucks.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'm a total nervous-nelly when it comes to flying to catch a cruise (because airlines suck!), so we started staying at a nearby hotel the night before we cruise. Many (like Rodeway Inn Ft. Lauderdale) have free shuttle service to/from the cruise port terminal and airport. Most of the patrons staying at Rodeway are cruisers, and they have the entire transfer system down pat. A well-oiled machine for getting people from the airport to the hotel, and then to their cruises the next morning. A one-night hotel stay adds a couple hundred bucks to the overall cost, but worth it for the peace of mind and the ability to relax.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Sure wish I was on that boat right now!!! Super jealous!!!
    Me too?

Quote Originally Posted by wiz_d_kidd View Post
    I'm a total nervous-nelly when it comes to flying to catch a cruise (because airlines suck!), so we started staying at a nearby hotel the night before we cruise. Many (like Rodeway Inn Ft. Lauderdale) have free shuttle service to/from the cruise port terminal and airport. Most of the patrons staying at Rodeway are cruisers, and they have the entire transfer system down pat. A well-oiled machine for getting people from the airport to the hotel, and then to their cruises the next morning. A one-night hotel stay adds a couple hundred bucks to the overall cost, but worth it for the peace of mind and the ability to relax.
    Lesson learned the hard way.