Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Cruise to the Edge

Banned
    I totally agree with Mick that most of the naysayers only wish they had the money to go. I'm not going but I'll look forward to hearing reports from the cruise (if that's possible...internet access availabilty at sea??)

My wife and I will be attending the Moody Blues Cruise, instead.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    My wife and I will be attending the Moody Blues Cruise, instead.
    report back on that one too!

These cruises are more of a curiosity than anything to me. It will be interesting to see how they really play out.

I don't think people bemoan it because they can't afford it. It's a little bit of prog snobbery, if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    It's a little bit of prog snobbery, if you ask me.
    I'm curious too, as I could never afford to go "uninvited"... yet I feel you may also be right about the hint of progsnobbery that exists.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    These cruises are more of a curiosity than anything to me. It will be interesting to see how they really play out.

I don't think people bemoan it because they can't afford it. It's a little bit of prog snobbery, if you ask me.
    I find prog snobs definately haven't done well for themselves financially. Not every prog snob, but most I've come across. These are generally the people who still think it's 1979.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    I find prog snobs definately haven't done well for themselves financially.
    Yeah, Prog Snobbery is no longer the goldmine it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    despite the obvious distain by a few jealous members who can't afford to go, this thread is still informing everyone of any line-up changes and situation updates.
    Not all of us naysayers are folks who are jealous they can't go. Some of us just think the concept feels somehow, well, wrong. It somehow feels like it's commoditizing the music, and I don't happen to like that. And before you say anything, I feel the same way about jazz cruises.

I mean, having not been on a cruise (not that interested other than an Alaskan cruise, which we're planning to do in a few years), I'm not one to really say, but for me, the idea of being on a cruise and there happening to be some good music on it would be a bonus; the idea of going on a cruise where the programming makes music one of its raison d'etres just feels kinda cheap.

But that said, those of you who are going and excited, I hope it's great and I hope you have a blast. My feelings about it don't necessarily mean everyone should feel that way, and given how expensive it is, I really hope it works out for y'all and I mean that with all sincerity. Hey, I could be wrong so please report back.

I just wanted to point out that as much as some folks are being negative about it rankles the supporters, being told that because I find the idea singularly unattractive doesn't in any way mean I am jealous that I cannot go - and the same generalization rankles me. If I wanted to, I could. I just don't want to.

[QUOTE=jkelman;53396]Not all of us naysayers are folks who are jealous they can't go. Some of us just think the concept feels somehow, well, wrong. It somehow feels like it's commoditizing the music, and I don't happen to like that. And before you say anything, I feel the same way about jazz cruises.

I mean, having not been on a cruise (not that interested other than an Alaskan cruise, which we're planning to do in a few years), I'm not one to really say, but for me, the idea of being on a cruise and there happening to be some good music on it would be a bonus; the idea of going on a cruise where the programming makes music one of its raison d'etres just feels kinda cheap.
    QUOTE]

I disagree, the music cruise thing is relatively recent phenomena, but having been on several cruises myself (non music) the thought of a prog cruise crossed my mind a long time ago, and I think it would be a blast. There is typically a lot of live music on cruises anyway, but it is catered to the general population on the boats. Having a themed cruise with concerts on the deck and in the theaters and lounges (which are typically top notch facilities) just seems like it would be a killer experience all around. One of the first music cruises was “The Legendary Blues Cruise” which features all top tier blues artists. It has been going for about 10 years now and I know several people who have gone on it, and totally loved it. Since most of the artists travel right along with the boats there is a lot of interaction and along with the regular scheduled shows there are a lot of impromptu jams and artists playing with other artists that would probably not normally happen seeing someone on a regular tour. I have heard nothing but positive things and I would guess that the prog cruise would be similar. Plus it will be a chance for some of the diehard Yes heads who don’t even know modern prog exists to possibly get exposed to some of the lesser known band who are also featured on the cruise. To me it’s all good. I wish I could go, and I really look forward to hearing reviews of both the Yes cruise and the Moody Blues one too (which also has a pretty good lineup)

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Not all of us naysayers are folks who are jealous they can't go. Some of us just think the concept feels somehow, well, wrong. It somehow feels like it's commoditizing the music, and I don't happen to like that. And before you say anything, I feel the same way about jazz cruises.
    I agree. As I wrote on another similar thread dinosaur rock is a pathetic commodity nowadays...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I find prog snobs definately haven't done well for themselves financially. Not every prog snob, but most I've come across. These are generally the people who still think it's 1979.
    Jann Wenner is a prog snob and doing quite well. Maybe it's more about your circle than prog snobbery. This is nonsensical. In fact, I can't even believe I replied. But, it's an absurd assertion.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I disagree, the music cruise thing is relatively recent phenomena, but having been on several cruises myself (non music) the thought of a prog cruise crossed my mind a long time ago, and I think it would be a blast. There is typically a lot of live music on cruises anyway, but it is catered to the general population on the boats. Having a themed cruise with concerts on the deck and in the theaters and lounges (which are typically top notch facilities) just seems like it would be a killer experience all around. One of the first music cruises was “The Legendary Blues Cruise” which features all top tier blues artists. It has been going for about 10 years now and I know several people who have gone on it, and totally loved it. Since most of the artists travel right along with the boats there is a lot of interaction and along with the regular scheduled shows there are a lot of impromptu jams and artists playing with other artists that would probably not normally happen seeing someone on a regular tour. I have heard nothing but positive things and I would guess that the prog cruise would be similar. Plus it will be a chance for some of the diehard Yes heads who don’t even know modern prog exists to possibly get exposed to some of the lesser known band who are also featured on the cruise. To me it’s all good. I wish I could go, and I really look forward to hearing reviews of both the Yes cruise and the Moody Blues one too (which also has a pretty good lineup)

Steve Sly
    That's totally cool; I just wanted to make the point that not all naysayers are jealous of those going. It simply ain't true. But hey. if folks have a good time on this, who know, I might just change my mind!

My two buddies and I go on a couple prog excursions every year. With there being no NF this year and our wives giving us "hall passes" ...we decided to do this cruise. Drinking beer, listening to good music, sun, scenery, and not having to go to work for a week....how could that ever be bad? I havent seen "Yes" since '78, saw Nektar at NF, seen Hackett, UK, Carl Palmer many times....doesnt really matter. Its not lizard lounge music or show tunes which is probably what you would get on a standard cruise... can't wait to go, should be a blast! Looking forward to Glass Hammer (even w/o Jon Davidson), Bozzio, Virgil Donati,Ric Fierabracci, IO Earth. Beer, Buddies and Prog- whats not to like...

A few points...

1) If I could afford this, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

2) The idea that anyone who is against it just can't afford it or is jealous of those who can is just silly.

3) While I can see the POV that this is a bit of a money-grab, personally, I can't get past the idea that this is just a prog fest on a cruise ship - a brilliant idea, IMO.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Proghound View Post
    Its not lizard lounge music or show tunes which is probably what you would get on a standard cruise
    Don't be so sure. I heard a rumor that this guy was looking to sit in with one of the bands:

Goddamnit we really want to go. But since I've been out of work since moving a year ago, there's just no way to foot a bill that large, especially with all the remodeling we've had to do. A Dream cruise to be sure though.

Here's hoping that boat is in stellar shape and there are no nasty incidents. The past year has not been good to boats.

Cheers!
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

So the band finally gets on board the ship. They can kick back and relax a bit, before the tour continues. No more getting on a plane or bus every (other?) day, traveling to the next date. I'm sure their rooms are just beautiful. It should be like a vacation from touring for the guys !! I'm thinking, maybe if they're rested up a bit, and having a good time, these shows might be the best of the tour ?? (And the possibility of 'side shows' mind-boggling!)

I really wanted to go, actually had the cash. But it would have cost $$$$.$$ and the only real attraction for me would be Yes. Now, I'm going to be jealous, and suffer, and only see the 4/2 show from the 8th row.

I'm not sure of the dates, but isn't this on a 'Spring Break' type schedule for college mid-terms ? I didn't think( of that before....)

Quote Originally Posted by Proghound View Post
    ...Virgil Donati...
    Which group is Donati playing with on the cruse?

Quote Originally Posted by tom unbound View Post
    I'm not sure of the dates, but isn't this on a 'Spring Break' type schedule for college mid-terms ? I didn't think( of that before....)
    It just so happens to fall on the week of my Spring Break (as an undergrad University student), which is one of the main reasons I'm able to go.

Quote Originally Posted by enpdllp View Post
    Which group is Donati playing with on the cruse?
    He's playing with Joel Hoekstra.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by soundchaser93 View Post
    It just so happens to fall on the week of my Spring Break (as an undergrad University student), which is one of the main reasons I'm able to go.
    Now that more than anything else makes me think this is going to be an annual event. Not necessarily with Yes. (That would be nice, though. Don't know if the band could schedule it.) Even here in Clearwater the traffic to the beach is a mile or more long Break time.(PIA actually) Lots of people come here, I don't know how it's like on the other coast. Can't be any less. Marketing genius I say ! If they can pull this off/put it on in this economy, it's annual. I heard that it was close to selling out, with half Prog cruisers and half regular cruisers, but i don't really know if that's true or not. Ya can't keep people off the boat if they don't like Yes !! I hope the whole cruise goes over perfectly, the weather cooperates, and everyone has a great time, because THEN it will be an annual event.

I went on a cruise with the Radiators a few years ago and it was the best vacation of my life.

I wish I could have talked my wife into this cruise, but prog isn't her thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Marsh View Post
    I wish I could have talked my wife into this cruise, but prog isn't her thing.
    That's the thing I was thinking about. I know a lot of "prog husbands" have a hard time justifying to their wives spending money and time away from the family to travel cross country to attend a festival. This has got to be a LOT harder to sell. I've heard the story from more than one CalProg attendee that they were able to get the "boss" approval by throwing in a trip to Disneyland or other SoCal touristy attraction. And I guess you could use that angle, "It's a cruise for the family that just happens to have a bunch of prog bands as entertainment". But even my wife who has "endured" most all of the shows we've put on would draw the line at being couped up on a boat with a bunch of prog-heads for a weekend (or however long this is).

I'm very interested to see how this turns out though. It sounds like a great idea on paper, but I'm skeptical about how it actually plays out in real life.
    CalProg Presents: Stick Men & The Aristocrats - Jan 25, 2014
    CalProg Website

Banned
    wow, I would think a cruise to the caribbean would be a much easier sell to a non-prog spouse then trying to convince them to spend a weekend in Bethlehem or Gettysburg.

wow, I would think a cruise to the caribbean would be a much easier sell to a non-prog spouse then trying to convince them to spend a weekend in Bethlehem or Gettysburg.
    Exactly... "I'm going to see my stupid prog band, I guess you'll just have no choice but to chill on the beach in Jamaica." How do you not sell that?