Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Cruise to the Edge

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Have to say I'm not getting on a cruise ship any time soon.
    A cruise never interested me before, and it definitely has zero to offer me now.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    A cruise never interested me before, and it definitely has zero to offer me now.
    I did an Alaskan cruise around 5 years ago and that was great, but yeah I'm not the most social animal at the best of times and the thought of being trapped with a bunch of strangers holds very little appeal.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    My main problem with CTTE is that only one of the venues onboard is really a decent size and arrangement to properly present a rock concert to a crowd. The next problem is/was almost zero good beer onboard, and all other drinks are very expensive and have the absolute minimum pour. Not a deal-breaker, but Progday definitely has many other festivals beat there!
    "Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart...not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I have zero desire to cruise as a general concept. I always describe this as a floating music festival, because the fact it is on a ship has little to do with my handing out the cash to go.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    My main problem with CTTE is that only one of the venues onboard is really a decent size and arrangement to properly present a rock concert to a crowd. The next problem is/was almost zero good beer onboard, and all other drinks are very expensive and have the absolute minimum pour. Not a deal-breaker, but Progday definitely has many other festivals beat there!
    I haven't spent any time looking at the venues, but I believe there are two indoor large venues on this boat, as well as the outdoor pool stage. But, I also enjoy all the small venues, so it doesn't bother me if most are not set up like at a theater. I think that every year the OTB sound folks have gotten better and better at handling the odd venues.

The beer will likely suck with maybe a couple of things that are better - and if they really are decent they'll run out at some point. lol No argument about that, it just doesn't impact my decision making process with regards to attendance.

I did an Alaskan cruise around 5 years ago and that was great, but yeah I'm not the most social animal at the best of times and the thought of being trapped with a bunch of strangers holds very little appeal.
    A lot of them are strange but not strangers. One of the more appealing parts is the social aspect of hanging out with established music friends... if you can find any time between the shows.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    You can still get it and pass it on to others, though. The vaccine is not a cure.
    That is true, but the whole point of being vaccinated is getting back to normal life. As you know I just retired from the manufacturing plant that makes the vaccine. I have full confidence in it's effectiveness.

All I can say is I know more than a dozen people who have gone on CTTE and they have all loved it. This may be my only one, but being the prog fan that I am I figured I had to experience it at some point.

We are doing Alaska for our first big retirement trip next summer. We were going to do it this summer, but COVID moved it out a year.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    All I can say is I know more than a dozen people who have gone on CTTE and they have all loved it. This may be my only one, but being the prog fan that I am I figured I had to experience it at some point.
    There is a reason so many go again and again even though it is pricey. You'll have a blast. JKL and I have disagreed about a few things on these trips, but he's not wrong about the beer situation unless something changes. I will say that I love the different stages and the fact that you basically map out your own itinerary based on what's available. There are always unfortunate conflicts, but that's part of it. And, hanging with the artists (who want to) is also fun - you will notice which artists tend to go see the shows you do most often which is kind of an enjoyable bit of people watching. This will be the fifth one for my cabinmate and myself and we added a third person to our group this year who couldn't pull the trigger financially in the past but times changed and he's joining us. I am so looking forward to this.

For me, the biggest problem is the schedule is too tight even if you only want to see a significant subset of the bands on board. Between every major concert on one of the main stages, there are overlapping bands like Stick Men and Marbin playing in lounges, which you generally want to get to a bit early to get a seat or view. It's tough to find time to decompress without missing anything you want.

The beer has always been a bit crap - I remember when they decided to cater to 'beer snobs' by getting four craft beers - it was four sixtels. The IPA went in hours (only because nobody knew where the one bar was) the pale ale followed shortly after, the porter lasted overnight along with the craft lager but both we done on day two. Perhaps they'll buy eight sixtels this time. But its a cruise in the Caribbean - I'm okay with drinking fruity rum cocktails most of the time.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    You’ll enjoy it, I felt like I had to experience it too! The first time was very novel because I’d never been on a cruise before.
    "Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart...not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"

Would love to go! Bet it's a blast and a lifetime experience. Unfortunately I'd be a lone travellor and a single cabin is out of my reach. Dont like the thought of having to share a cabin with strangers either!

I'm about to be gainfully unemployed, (less than 2 months now,) and as recon for next year, what's the average cost of this, and does it sell out? Quickly?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I'm about to be gainfully unemployed, (less than 2 months now,) and as recon for next year, what's the average cost of this, and does it sell out? Quickly?
    There are no averages - it depends on cabin and occupancy. If you book an economical cabin (you probably wont spend much of your time in a cabin) then it's going to be around 2800 for two people including taxes and gratuities. It's certainly not cheap. The highest priced cabins vanish instantly partly because the leading artists get options on them, and presumably some are returned by artists who would prefer to pocket a better rate. The cheapest cabins by type then tend to go fairly quickly - cheapest interiors, then cheapest balconies, windows, etc. Presumably some people cruise with family who will want use of a better cabin than a interior while the prog-crazed family members are doing their thing.

There are a fair number of cabins on next year's cruise because they switched ships (twice) in pandemic rescheduling and are now on a much larger ship.

https://cruisetotheedge.com/pricing/

^ Great information & pointer, sir. Many thanks.
    I like the part where Icarus hijacks the Little Red Hen.

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Quote Originally Posted by DrGoon View Post
    For me, the biggest problem is the schedule is too tight even if you only want to see a significant subset of the bands on board. Between every major concert on one of the main stages, there are overlapping bands like Stick Men and Marbin playing in lounges, which you generally want to get to a bit early to get a seat or view. It's tough to find time to decompress without missing anything you want.

The beer has always been a bit crap - I remember when they decided to cater to 'beer snobs' by getting four craft beers - it was four sixtels. The IPA went in hours (only because nobody knew where the one bar was) the pale ale followed shortly after, the porter lasted overnight along with the craft lager but both we done on day two. Perhaps they'll buy eight sixtels this time. But its a cruise in the Caribbean - I'm okay with drinking fruity rum cocktails most of the time.
    We will most likely do a drink package if it is available. Having been on many cruises over the years and being people who tend to drink quite a bit while on vacation we have found that it averages out cheaper than just buying individual beers / drinks even though it is still expensive. Basically, if you drink 5 to 6 beers (or even less mixed drinks) in a day it typically is a better deal. If I am on a concert cruise I will definitely be drinking that much in a 24-hour period. With the drink package, if there are no decent beers (which unfortunately is typical for cruise ships) we switch to fruity tropical drinks.

Not a fan of what this has morphed into personally, this is the first one I'll be missing

In general I don't think it's all about legacy acts anymore and there is a LOT more prog-metal which probably makes some happy but is a deal breaker for others

Last one had PFM conflicting with first Yes and then Steve Hackett, I had convinced the childhood friend who turned me on to prog in the 70's to come on the ship and he did in no small part to see PFM and had to miss part of shows and make choices. I know some conflicts are unavoidable but having the very top tier legacy acts clash like this was an extreme disappointment, esp when there were so many new / metal / other genre acts playing that seem to be more logical conflict wise

My wife and I have been on all since 2015, not sure if it just ran its course but ea year got a little less fun personally

YMHYV

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post

On to other thoughts: My wife and I have a small insurance business, we only get to vacation one week a year so we make the most of it, we've been on either CTTE or the Moody Blues Cruise (now defunct) for the better part of the last decade, my wife loves to cruise and I love my prog, the cruises are the perfect way for us to both get enjoyment out of our once yearly time off.
    My wife is the same way. We both enjoy cruising, but she is not all that into the music. To be honest I was surprised she agreed to go. Are there places on the boat for people like her to hang out outside of concert areas? I know they cover the main pool for a stage, but are there any secondary pools?

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Y View Post
    Not a fan of what this has morphed into personally, this is the first one I'll be missing

In general I don't think it's all about legacy acts anymore and there is a LOT more prog-metal which probably makes some happy but is a deal breaker for others

YMHYV
    Mmmm........I am not seeing much prog metal at all. Haken and Pain Of Salvation would probably be considered prog metal (I happen to like both of them), but I don't see much else. Maybe we have a different definition of what prog metal is.

I agree there do seem to be more legacy acts than what I have seen with past lineups. I like to see young up and coming bands and they seem kind of few and far between.

My wife is the same way. We both enjoy cruising, but she is not all that into the music. To be honest I was surprised she agreed to go. Are there places on the boat for people like her to hang out outside of concert areas? I know they cover the main pool for a stage, but are there any secondary pools?
    Yes, there are plenty of places to chill if you don't want to listen to the music, my wife chills with me, I'm lucky that way.

Two test positive for COVID-19 on first Caribbean cruise. Most aboard are vaccinated.

an excerpt:

The ship left from St. Maarten on June 5 for a seven-night cruise visiting Aruba, Curacao and Barbados, carrying around 600 passengers and 700 crew members. Celebrity Cruises, owned by Royal Caribbean Group, required all crew and passengers 16 years old or older to be vaccinated against COVID-19, likely preventing the virus from spreading further on board.

The two infected passengers, who the cruise company said are asymptomatic and shared a cabin, tested positive Thursday when the ship staff began conducting antigen tests required to leave the ship when it returns to St. Maarten on Saturday. Antigen testing of all passengers is expected to be completed on Friday, McDaniel said.

Mmmm........I am not seeing much prog metal at all. Haken and Pain Of Salvation would probably be considered prog metal (I happen to like both of them), but I don't see much else. Maybe we have a different definition of what prog metal is.
    Definitely, I put Riverside there too for sure, but to ea his own

I agree there do seem to be more legacy acts than what I have seen with past lineups. I like to see young up and coming bands and they seem kind of few and far between.
    For me Legacy Acts = 70's acts and I'm actually "arguing" that there now aren't enough of them, and the ones that are chosen don't seem to get much respect IMO

The first few lineups were symphonic fans dreams, a little less so every year

Strawbs and PFM for me are NOT "pool stage" bands, but neither got theater spots last time out. (Strawbs was On The Blue but you'll get my point), last time on the cancelled cruise Orme was scheduled to play in the Atruim, not even a proper venue

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    Yes, there are plenty of places to chill if you don't want to listen to the music, my wife chills with me, I'm lucky that way.
    I'm sure my wife will attend some of the performances, but 24 hours of prog for 5 days may be a bit much for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Y View Post
    Definitely, I put Riverside there too for sure, but to ea his own

For me Legacy Acts = 70's acts and I'm actually "arguing" that there now aren't enough of them, and the ones that are chosen don't seem to get much respect IMO

The first few lineups were symphonic fans dreams, a little less so every year

Strawbs and PFM for me are NOT "pool stage" bands, but neither got theater spots last time out. (Strawbs was On The Blue but you'll get my point), last time on the cancelled cruise Orme was scheduled to play in the Atruim, not even a proper venue
    I love Riverside myself and don't really consider them prog-metal, but they do get a bit heavy at times I guess. I can certainly see where some bands would work better in a theater setting than on the pool stage.