Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516

Thread: Cruise to the Edge

Good thing you'll be monitoring the situation.

There is very little concern in FB-land. It sold out yesterday and everyone is getting quite excited.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    If the Novel Coronavirus is still kicking by mid-March or so, the CTTE FB groups are going to explode. I'll be monitoring things and if it gets interesting I'll let you know. I hope for everyone to have a great cruise (Jesus, Marillion will be on there!), but those FB groups have a weird combination of people, and tempers can get hot, especially when people have already paid thousands of dollars, are flying in from Europe, etc.
    Will there ever be rock cruises again? How long before fans/bands brave the seas once this virus debacle is through? I've never been on a cruise -- never wanted to -- and never will. Curious how others now feel about cruises...

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Will there ever be rock cruises again? How long before fans/bands brave the seas once this virus debacle is through? I've never been on a cruise -- never wanted to -- and never will. Curious how others now feel about cruises...
    I have been on a few and actually had one booked for late April, taking my mother (which just got officially canceled yesterday). Cruises are relaxing in the sense that (generally speaking) your itinerary is taken care of for you. You have a place to sleep. Ship activities take place at certain times. And visits to ports take place at certain times. You only really have to decide what shore excursions and ship upgrades (if any) you want. The food is also plentiful and good, also with upgrade options.

That said, they are VERY corporatized, you are always being upsold, and most of the docking ports are swarming with peddlers (understandably so).

Thankfully my cruise was completely cancelled because it is nearly impossible to get your money back otherwise. Had they not cancelled, I would have had to take credit. It sort of leaves a bad taste in my mouth with how I daily get emails from cruise lines for “great deals” during this situation, not to mention the website itself. So after I get my refund, I do not plan to rebook any time soon.

Next is the airline tix situation. I’m likely going to only get credit, but I want to make sure I can transfer all the tix to my name.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I went on a SeaEscape day cruise once to the Bahamas. I was whacked on dramamine, otherwise I'd have puked from motion sickness. This was a big cruise ship, not a yacht. I'm a landlubber.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    We are due to go on an Alaskan cruise in July. I hope all this is over with by then. We have already cancelled our spring break trip to Panama. Finger crossed....
    Chad

Assuming the company that puts them on remains fiscally okay, the easy answer is yes. This year's wasn't cancelled, it was postponed and I believe the vast majority of people with booked rooms will go assuming they don't have conflicts. It seems unlikely to me that it will happen before next spring, though the initial postponement was until fall or spring, but I don't see fall being realistic (maybe I'm wrong about that). Since it was sold out, any rooms that don't get used by the original bookings will likely sell to people who couldn't attend this year. Some have already stated they will be looking to attend if it works and people drop out. There will probably be a few who don't go because of concerns they have after this (fair enough) and that would hold true for an artist or two, I expect, but I don't see it going away so long as OTB is doing okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    We are due to go on an Alaskan cruise in July. I hope all this is over with by then. We have already cancelled our spring break trip to Panama. Finger crossed....
    You will LOVE Alaska cruise! A bucket list item, which my wife and I did in 2015.....best vacation ever! Hope you get to go....
    So much music....so little time....

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Yeah, we loved our Alaskan cruise
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

re: Alaskan Cruise - Do it, the scenery is amazing. Last Chance To See the Glaciers before they are recycled.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

If you do it, I highly recommend the helicopter ride to the top of a glacier or a rafting trip down one of the rivers. Great cruise overall!
    Amazon Marketplace - http://www.amazon.com/shops/A3UJ306B3ZDWF4
    Many hard to find CDs (mostly prog)

I am planning to go when they re-schedule it.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by roylayer View Post
    If you do it, I highly recommend the helicopter ride to the top of a glacier or a rafting trip down one of the rivers. Great cruise overall!
    We have a dogsledding trip booked that includes a helicopter ride that stops at a glacier.
    Chad

I got married on an Alaskan glacier, and the view from the helicopter was amazing. And there were tiny pools of water dotted everywhere that you could dip a glass in and drink straight from. It was the freshest-tasting water I've ever had.
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

We generally stay away from other people anyway, so our three Holland America Line cruises (Alaska, Panama Canal, New England/Canada) didn’t feel particularly risky, despite the hand sanitizer dispensers everywhere.

Now I realize that statistical risk and perceived risk are simply different, and on a vacation it’s all about how relaxed and comfortable you feel. And that’s why we will probably not be cruising again. Even though we always eat at a table for two, rarely attend the entertainment, and go on HAL cruises that are sedate and uncrowded, it’s just hard now not to view the cruise ship as a tube of germs.

Our Alaska Inner Passage cruise was a highlight of our lives, a celebration of our retirement, part of an extended cruising/driving tour of the Pacific Northwest that created a large volume of treasured memories and set us off properly on our new chapter in 2017. Sitting in a lounge chair in the cool sea breeze, wrapped in a blanket, endless coffee in the thermos, prog or chamber on the headphones, a good book on the Kindle and a magnificent parade of natural wonder scrolling past... breakfast in robes in the cabin, high-end (for us!) dining every night... visits to glaciers and tourist towns and quaint museums...

The Alaska cruise is a fantastic vacation, no doubt about it. But “trapped in a metal tube full of germs” is a tough idea to dismiss for me now.

My wife and I are planning to do an Alaska cruise as our first big trip after we retire. My parents did one years ago that was 13 days half at sea and half on land, and we are looking at doing something like that. The original plan was for this to happen summer of 2021, but retirement is a not as sure a thing as it was a couple of weeks ago, so we’ll see how this all shakes out.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    My wife and I are planning to do an Alaska cruise as our first big trip after we retire. My parents did one years ago that was 13 days half at sea and half on land, and we are looking at doing something like that. The original plan was for this to happen summer of 2021, but retirement is a not as sure a thing as it was a couple of weeks ago, so we’ll see how this all shakes out.
    Do look into a smaller ship. They may not offer the wealth of distractions on a large ship, but they can get into areas the big ones can't.
    We've only been on one cruise, to Alaska. I had been uninterested in the whole 'floating city' concept.
    I looked into some of the smaller ships. Not the less than 100 passenges , this was 750 with crew.
    We got in close to glaciers, the food was great.
    We were not concerned with being entertained, the days activities wore us out.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Do look into a smaller ship. They may not offer the wealth of distractions on a large ship, but they can get into areas the big ones can't.
    We've only been on one cruise, to Alaska. I had been uninterested in the whole 'floating city' concept.
    I looked into some of the smaller ships. Not the less than 100 passenges , this was 750 with crew.
    We got in close to glaciers, the food was great.
    We were not concerned with being entertained, the days activities wore us out.
    Yes, we may look at a smaller ship for sure.