Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
This is true- Led Zeppelin were absolutely considered progressive rock in 1970. That's because the present conception of prog hadn't yet settled into place. I believe The Who were also considered to be part of the "progressive rock scene" at the time.

Remember, in 1970, we were only 5 years removed from a rock music landscape that had virtually no resemblance to the one that then-existed and bands responsible for "progressions" were all over the place. It wasn't possible then to know that some of these bands would coalesce behind a particular set of influences and make music that would increasingly distance itself from the trajectory of rock music as a whole.

By, say 1976 (and probably earlier) I'm pretty sure that neither of them were, because the parameters that we now use to define progressive rock had more or less been established.
Make sense.............

I myself moved towards punk from about 1976. When I did get back to listening to progressive rock in the early 80's bands like Marillion had jumped on board and rock had become metal.

I always felt then that progressive rock bands from the beginning of the 80's should have had their own identity thus preserving progressive rock to the 1970's.

My reasoning for this is that music has moved on but the title of the genre has'nt. As a result, today, we are stuck with a laughable amount of sub titles for the whole grenre.

Proto prog, this prog, that prog, crossover prog.................it seems endless and pretty pointless