Thread: Obscure 1973 Prog band Maelstrom posted at Y.T.

Obscure 1973 Prog band Maelstrom posted at Y.T.

The cd is next to impossible to find,but about 10 years ago I managed to score one from The Lasers Edge: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=4gNYVU2w_cI

This one is going to be rereleased on LP (only) by Black Widow Records soon

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    This one is going to be rereleased on LP (only) by Black Widow Records soon
    Including the bonus tracks? Those are some of the best on the CD, IMO.

Solid release by one of countless US "prog" obscurities from the 70s. The sorta GGiant-meets-Hatfield approach was and remains quite unusual.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Excellent band, got my copy from Greg Walker years ago. Can't quite remember,
    but I think they had some private press LP releases as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Including the bonus tracks? Those are some of the best on the CD, IMO.

Solid release by one of countless US "prog" obscurities from the 70s. The sorta GGiant-meets-Hatfield approach was and remains quite unusual.
    The extra tracks are mentioned, but in a way that doesn't make it clear if they are on the LP or not.

From blackwidow.it:

"In 1997 Black Moon Records re-issued the album in CD format under the title ''Maelstrom'' and this work contains a couple of extra tracks recorded live by Maelstrom in 1980 at the ''Three Rivers Festival'' in Indiana with only Owen and Klotzbier from the original line-up along with keyboardist Kent Overholser and Rollin Wood on drums.''Opus one'' has a strong E.L.P. vibe with organs leading the way along with some dramatic synth work in a classic Symphonic Rock track, while the longer ''Genesis to geneva'' is a bit more of a loose instrumental composition again in a Symphonic Rock path but surrounded with some more Avant-Garde/Fusion atmospheres, where synths, organ and electric guitars are on the forefront."

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    The extra tracks are mentioned, but in a way that doesn't make it clear if they are on the LP or not.

From blackwidow.it:

"In 1997 Black Moon Records re-issued the album in CD format under the title ''Maelstrom'' and this work contains a couple of extra tracks recorded live by Maelstrom in 1980 at the ''Three Rivers Festival'' in Indiana with only Owen and Klotzbier from the original line-up along with keyboardist Kent Overholser and Rollin Wood on drums.''Opus one'' has a strong E.L.P. vibe with organs leading the way along with some dramatic synth work in a classic Symphonic Rock track, while the longer ''Genesis to geneva'' is a bit more of a loose instrumental composition again in a Symphonic Rock path but surrounded with some more Avant-Garde/Fusion atmospheres, where synths, organ and electric guitars are on the forefront."
    Mine has no bonus tracks,so it must be the original Black Moon cd,which I have no idea what year it was done.

Some info on this album in one of the reviews here: http://rateyourmusic.com/release/alb...m/on_the_gulf/

They also released a 2nd album a couple years later.

A little further clarification on this title. In the deep recesses of my mind, I had it that this album was never originally released. I have never seen one for sale ever - and there is no history of one ever being on ebay. So I checked with Mike O'Neal who is the owner of Black Moon to clear the cobwebs. There were 3 test pressings, of which only one copy is known to still exist (one is confirmed broken - and one is missing). The "private press out of Canada" comment would seem to be urban myth at this point. I suppose the test pressing could have been made there (doubt it), but it's a bit misleading to state it that way.

The second album "Paradigms" is very scarce, and pretty expensive, but I should caution you all that it's primarily free jazz. Much different than the 1973 album.

Thanks for the thread.A real gem - I didn't know about this.
    I got info from Black widow records, LP and CD will be available as soon as end of this month.
    About tracklist..no straight answer - just link to progarchives.

The LP is available now...

We have the CD and LP in stock.

www.lasercd.com

Finally I can take down my eBay search that has yielded nothing over the years anyway. Glad this was re-released by Black Widow as it gives me an opportunity to get it. One less on my "gotta-get-this-OOP-album" list.

So,does this Black Widow release devalue my Black Moon cd? I bought it from lasers edge at the behest of Ken Golden assuring me it was great prog and about to disappear soon. Did Black Moon morph into Black Widow?

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    So,does this Black Widow release devalue my Black Moon cd? I bought it from lasers edge at the behest of Ken Golden assuring me it was great prog and about to disappear soon. Did Black Moon morph into Black Widow?
    The answer to the first question is probably yes (original CD presses typically don't have the same cache / collect-ability as original LPs - there are a few exceptions of course). Black Moon (a US label based in Indiana) has absolutely nothing to do with the Italian Black Widow label. Just a coincidence they share Black in the name.

^ Thanks 4 the clarification ashratom. I wouldn't ever part with it anyway. I sure would love to hear Paradigms some day though.

Played it few times...great album...variety of influences but it still sounds very original...recommended!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    Played it few times...great album...variety of influences but it still sounds very original...recommended!!!
    I second this. Very fine album, much better than I expected.