I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    amazing enough they have 4 dvds...

2002: Live at Star Pine's Cafe
    2006: Live at Doors
    2008: 070531
    2010: Live at Koenji High
    Live at Doors is the only one that is truly essential in my opinion

And for anyone who loves Koenji but shy's away from Ruins do not pass Ruins - Symphonica in a way its a Koenji album in disguise
    Need to pick one of these up.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    amazing enough they have 4 dvds...

2002: Live at Star Pine's Cafe
    2006: Live at Doors
    2008: 070531
    2010: Live at Koenji High
    Live at Doors is the only one that is truly essential in my opinion

And for anyone who loves Koenji but shy's away from Ruins do not pass Ruins - Symphonica in a way its a Koenji album in disguise
    I agree with the recommendation of the Live at Doors DVD. That one is tremendous.

Live at Doors is the way to go, for sure!

neil

NPR covered the new LP/CD reissue of Angherr Shisspa:
    "Angherr Shisspa is a bonkers display of instrumental and vocal prowess, but for all its alien energy, doesn't feel like homework. "Grahbem Jorgazz," in its freak-jazz circus mania, sounds like it could soundtrack an underground level of Super Mario Bros. "Fettim Paillu" opens as an aria before putting a little skronk stank on it. The title track pits a mournful melody against pumped-up synths in a way that feels contemporaneous to the electro-euphoria that Dan Deacon was beginning to woodshed around that time. Koenjihyakkei actively made this nutzoid music simultaneously challenging and fun." (continued at link...)

NPR Music: Viking's Choice Link:
    https://www.npr.org/sections/allsong...nted-dancehall

72053527_10215207095946846_2160950457827065856_n.jpg

Holy cow, NPR is talking about them?! That's pretty cool!

Just listened to Viva Koenji...been a while. Good news is that I don't need ibuprofen yet. Crazy good. I think I still prefer the newer albums a bit more. Yoshida is such a talent...a true musician's musician.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Yoshida is such a talent...a true musician's musician.
    Yes, both I and Satoko Fujii and Lars Hollmer thought so until we got to learn the truth of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
    I like Porcupine Tree more than some ludicrous obscure drummer who isn't even as good as Animal on The Muppets
    And here am I, actually thinking that if anyone ruled it would indeed be Animal.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

^ Good ol' Jeremy B... And you're not wrong, Animal does rule.

Yoshida is truly great. I'll never forget the first time I heard him, riding to lunch in a coworker's car back in 2009. He had a group of loose CDs in his back seat and a friend of mine saw Hundred Sights of Koenji and asked what it was like, so the driver put it in the CD player. I was instantly captivated. He lent me that CD because I liked it so much (along with Viva and Angherr), but I eventually bought all of them myself. Nivraym I found out about later and got it as well. Played that one to death.

Later on I learned that the version of Hundred Sights that I'd heard first was the one where Yoshida had gone back and re-recorded his drums. After hearing both versions, I definitely prefer the updated drums myself. What do you guys think though?

Great album, but don't forget to fasten your seatbelt.

They were fantastic at NEARfest
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Superb at the last RIO festival.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

no more dead fleas no more dead fleas (you know the part...)